• This topic has 42 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Runners wearing armwarmers
  • Merak

And a vest?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess same as most people you can take the arm warmers off when you get to temp, extremities get colder

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Let’s not start on those silly calf socks the triantelopes wear…

lunge

Err, hi, guilty. To the socks too.

Arm warmers for the same reason as cycling, keep you warm at the start and you can take them off or roll them down when you get too warm.

Calf sleeves as I’ve found they help stop cramp on long runs. Likely snake oil but there you go.

Im also a fan of a headband to keep sweat out if my eyes.

I have a pic of me at the start of the Manchester Marathon wearing this full combo, I look like a fool but it worked and I got a PB!

sirromj

pics or it didn’t happen.

piemonster

Let’s not start on those silly calf socks the triantelopes wear…

i actually find calf socks really useful, albeit not for the intended purpose. They’ve proven very effective at keeping ticks off.

For good measure I use white ones as the ticks are easier to spot if they do latch on.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Your point caller…HENGE!!

Merak

^Looks like a douche.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

That’s because I am a douche (it really is me in the photo) it was bitter that day…

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

And man alive! Be grateful that the photo cuts me off there – I’ve got on the shortest short shorts known to man!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

And man alive! Be grateful that the photo cuts me off there – I’ve got on the shortest short shorts known to man!

I’m pretty sure in the running scene there must be some sort of sub-competition to see who can wear the shortest shorts. All fun and games until some old guy wears shorts shorter than his balls hang down. My eyes!

OP, I appreciate this was a troll rather than a serious question, but it should pretty obvious why someone might want to be able to quickly modify the amount of insulation they are wearing whilst running.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Socks? The longuns?

Yip for forest yomps and moorland.

Ticktocks innit.

mrb123
    Free Member

I’m sure in the last athletics world championships I spotted one or more athletes wearing a single arm warmer… in sprint events! Pretty bizarre.

alanf
    Free Member

Is this maybe a question of’why do some track and field athletes wear only one arm warmer?

EDIT: DAMMIT – I should read all the replies before posting!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

^Looks like a douche.

Same thing as us MTBers wearing jackets with pitt zips, innit? wee bit of ventilation, stop overheating.

Merak

tarka_the_rotter

For clarification I was saying that I think it looks a bit daft in general not that you do specifically.

Knee high socks on TTists….even worserer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Meebbiieess those afleeetes wearing a single arm warmer are hiding a TaT that’s just been done/inflected??

hooli

As cyclists I am not sure we can comment on how stupid others look. The middle aged Lycra look is well documented as is the weekend warrior in full armour with a matching set of Troy Lee pajamas

willard

I was banned from wearing my running shorts at the gym. It’s not for nothing they were nick-named ‘child scarers’.

I’m also guilty of wearing compression calf things on long runs. I find it helps with cramp. At my age, i need all the help I can get.

Digby

All fun and games until some old guy wears shorts shorter than his balls hang down.

Couldn’t help but think of Alan Partridge and the long suffering Lynn’s comment:

Lynn: You’ve… You’ve popped out again!

Alan: That wasn’t deliberate, I promise you. It’s not a cry for help. I’ve had these shorts since 1982. They did have an underpant lining, but it’s perished. They’ve taken a bit of a pounding over the years

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

Merak

But I DO look ridiculous! It’s entirely my own fault – I’m an idiot – I did the County Cross Country Championships in a vest, arm-warmers and a bobble hat! Entirely ridiculous! 🙂

slowoldman

It’s ‘cos Mo started wearing them.

I’m always amused by joggers popping out for a lap of the park carrying a water bottle.

chrismac

Vest and gloves is a common combo in our house. Hands get cold running but the body stays warm. Buffs are great too for keeping the sweat out of your eyes

footflaps

I thought the arm warmers were to help you know which ones were legal to hunt?

stever
    Free Member

Neck buff and vest is a bit of a quirky winter xc look for me too. Seems to warm the air a bit and stop me coughing as much after.  Calf guards though: just say no!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Almost as bad as those daft looking bawbag-hats.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I quite often wear thin gloves, even in this blistering heat we’ve just had.. they’re good for wiping sweat/snot from your chin.

I also wear a “sun visor” baseball cap type thing, one that’s got no skull cap (you know the type)

Good for keeping my locks from flopping around in my face, also has a sweat band and the peak to shade eyes from the sun.. or rain..

And awesome shades, obvz.

Richie_B

Meebbiieess those afleeetes wearing a single arm warmer are hiding a TaT that’s just been done/inflected??

No just hides the track marks (not often a cyclist can get a PED dig in so not to be missed)

slowoldman

Oh I thought you meant marks from falling on the track.

lunge

pics or it didn’t happen.

Well, you did ask…

Bright colours trainers? Tick

Calf sleeves? Tick

Short shorts? Tick

Vest? Tick

Arm warmers? Tick

Headband? Tick

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looking good I reckon.

👍😎💪

lunge

Looking good I reckon.

Either you are drunk or you need your eyes tested.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great pic Lungey boy!

lunge

Of course, that was the “before” pic, the “after” pic having blown up at 16 miles was less impressive…

perchypanther
    Free Member

That pic looks like evidence in a serious sexual assault trial.

fasthaggis

As cyclists I am not sure we can comment on how stupid others look.

This^^ times a million.

It’s approaching that time of year where Mrs FH has to witness the dressing procedure of ,arm and leg warmers first.

I have no shame,she deserves a medal 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nope, I swooned and almost started a search on the internetz for more pics of you 😜☄️

lunge

Cycling gear is as bad. The “autumn roadie” look of cap, arm and knee warmers, toe caps and glasses with orange lenses is more than a little niche. And as @fasthaggis says, getting dressed with knee and arm warmers, socks and a sleeveless baselayer before shorts, jersey is a VERY strong look.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Naked save for arm and leg warmers, slapping on the shammy cream, now that’s a strong look.

lunge

Naked save for arm and leg warmers, slapping on the shammy cream, now that’s a strong look.

We’ve all been there, but please, for the sake of all of us, no pics.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Runners wearing armwarmers’ is closed to new replies.