Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • DezB
    Free Member

(Twas a (rare) positive moment of threadery, I admit)

You said it would’ve been great if O’Driscoll had caught the rebound and scored… my follow up meant that if Kearney’s break from his own touchline had resulted in him crossing the line and scoring, that would have been a greater moment. But I knew that James O’Connor would catch him. It was still a great moment, but not as great as it could have been.

Comprendé?

duckman

That Irish front row was amazing. One thing I don’t get is playing the likes of Sheridan at tight with a MUCH shorter hooker. The Irish front row have a grand total of 1cm in height difference between them. Meaning they engage at the same speed and it is much harder for an oppo prop to break one off and work into the hooker. (Sorry, for the backs,split the front row,get your shoulder into the hooker’s ribs and lever him away from his ball,disrupting the hooker’s ability to strike clean ball)

The way they took the Aussie front row apart was brilliant. They will need a plan b when it comes to Wales mind.I like pretty back play, but I admire the large club approach more than the rapier when it comes to rugby.In fact I could happily watch an eighty min scrum 😳

DezB
    Free Member

Ah yes, it was Bowe. I’m sure I said, in chatting about the game this morning, that it was Bowe and my NZ colleague corrected me and said it was Kearney!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry, for the backs, split the front row,get your shoulder into the hooker’s ribs and lever him away from his ball,disrupting the hooker’s ability to strike clean ball it’s the bit that the real men do while you’re at the back worrying about your split ends

FTFY! 😉

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah don’t worry I was double confused, didn’t recognise your mistake in Kearney and read O’Connor as O’Connell…..

But yeah it seemed like Bowe ran out of steam, shame. There was another good run too was that Kearney?

DezB
    Free Member

Probably, he had a good game..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

was that Kearney?

Yes, nearly got to the line…can’t find a clip on YooToob.

Though I did find this: check out Kearnsy’s comment just at the end of the clip. of course, nobody cares about RU in Autralia do they. Please let people be beating him over the head with this clip. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0gV-Wbg04s[/video]

Shandy
    Free Member

They will need a plan b when it comes to Wales mind.

I hope that plan a for both Italy Wales would be to get the ball in phase play again, ASAP. We have struggled to get a solid set-piece over the last year, we just need to retain possession and get the ball back in play.

toys19
    Free Member

Ha funny. Although in the Aussies defence, when we beat them at the 1/4 final in the 2007 world cup, I was in Marseille at the game, before the game they were exactly the same as that above, after they were magnanimous in defeat. Had a good few pints with the Aussies in Marseille that saturday night watching France beat NZ cheered them up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I know on a personal level, they’re fine…good as “gold” but if you make comments like that you gotta live or die by them 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Australia are now my 19th team.

toys19
    Free Member

Oh I know on a personal level, they’re fine…good as “gold” but if you make comments like that you gotta live or die by them

Yeah I agree, but my point was they take it back very very well. When we arrived at our hotel there was a good few Aussies, they told us we might as well go home now, wasting our time etc etc. After they bought us pints and said look who’s going home now. Mucho sporting.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have we done this yet?

“Ok, it’s obvious the IRB are unjust. Wales get 7 days [between games], we get 3. Unfair treatment, like slavery, like the holocaust, like apartheid.

“Give Wales 3 days off and give Samoa a week! We would kill them!

Yet another reason to keep sportsfolk off ****tter!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hoooosedat?

Jamie
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14968400.stm

Yet another reason to keep sportsfolk off ****tter!

/sigh

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He has a point though. 🙂

Blatant discrimination IMO. Wales falling further down my teams list. Definitely mid-teens now. 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve been loving twitter for following rugby players. Saves me listening to the managers, especially Gatling.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He does indeed have a point. Matches should be about the game, not the TV audience (Even though I want to be able to watch the bigger games, of course!). As it is, the “lesser” nations get the short straw in terms of time.

Not sure it’s quite up there with the Holocaust, mind you! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And in twitter news:

The green machine are White water rafting today. NZ government has asked that the forwards don’t turn up as the river may be afraid to turn white. Also Tommy Bowe is having a 100m race with Mike Ross. Adam Jones has been invited to watch.

IdleJon

deadlydarcy – Member
    And in twitter news:

The green machine are White water rafting today. NZ government has asked that the forwards don’t turn up as the river may be afraid to turn white. Also Tommy Bowe is having a 100m race with Mike Ross. Adam Jones has been invited to watch.

Latest news,

Having lost 100m race to Adam Jones, Mike Tindall is seen drunkenly proposing to a good looking dwarf. James Haskell meanwhile calls his team ‘a bag of dicks’ and heads towards the airport in a huff.

IdleJon

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    He does indeed have a point. Matches should be about the game, not the TV audience (Even though I want to be able to watch the bigger games, of course!). As it is, the “lesser” nations get the short straw in terms of time.

Hey, the players are getting the easy end of it.

I’m feeling jetlagged after just two weekends of getting up at random times of the night. I’m not sure that I can carry on.

My alcohol consumption has sunk to a record low because my body is so confused about where it is. Is it acceptable to get up at 4am and start drinkling, counting it as the night before? Probably not.

Give me 24hr solo bike races any time.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Having lost 100m race to Adam Jones, Mike Tindall is seen drunkenly proposing to a good looking dwarf. James Haskell meanwhile calls his team ‘a bag of dicks’ and heads towards the airport in a huff.

Much lollage!

duckman

Not sure it’s quite up there with the Holocaust, mind you!

I’ll let you know; I am off to Berlin and Poland with 38 schoolkids just as the knockouts start…What was I thinking? Mind you not as bad as whoever’s wife is due on the day of the final!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mind you not as bad as whoever’s wife is due on the day of the final!

Zara?

Not a worry anyway…

TimP
    Free Member

So just quickly to go back to rugby…

When Ashton scored his second try a Georgian slid in after he had the ball down and looked to cause a hyperextension to his left elbow and he certainly looked extremely uncomfortable when shaking hands at the end. How does the STW rugby mind see it in the light of Lawes getting 2 weeks? IMO they are pretty similar events in that they are dangerous and without purpose, but ultimately not intended to cause serious injury. Is it worth another 2 weeks, will he get off lightly as a player from a minor nation that don’t have the depth to replace him, or will it just be ignored?

duckman

He will be cited,if we are anything to go by. We are taught to look for what happens after the ball goes dead. One of these is a late hit,as above, another example is the prop who accidently stamps on a collapsed oppo. If he has not been done by now, then England will have to mention it to get citing comm to look.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m trying to feel a shred of sympathy for him, but I can’t 😐

He is in my second team though.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m glad that’s been mentioned Tim, cos that was so much worse than what Lawes did – Ashton had scored the try and was already getting up when the Georgian jumped on his arm.
    Incidents during try-scoring really piss me off and that was one of the worst I’ve seen.. there was no point in it other than to cause injury.
    Player should be banned from the rest of the tournament. (no great loss, I know)

TimP
    Free Member

Hasn’t really been mentioned in the press from what I have seen, apart from a quick “ashton injured his elbow scoring his second try”. Can’t find any pics or vid so only going on what I saw at the time but it is someone who is not even in the shot in this pic that landed on him

so there wasn’t much doubt of him getting it down so it seemed pretty cynical. Even if you don’t like him it is a poor way to get injured
    Also haven’t seen if there is any news on how bad it is?

Sad to see Fourie out till next year as had hoped that he might get a flight over to replace Sheridan so there actually was a No7 in the squad too.

molgrips
    Free Member

“Give Wales 3 days off and give Samoa a week! We would kill them!

Or, how about we have the WC at the end of our season when we’re all on form and match fit, and YOU can do it after a summer off?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In twitter news:

@chrisashton1

thank you for all the messages. really appreciated. good to win and happy to get a try at last. my arm is all good 2.

drain

Japan seems to hate whales. 😐

IdleJon

TimP – Member
    Can’t find any pics or vid so only going on what I saw at the time but it is someone who is not even in the shot in this pic that landed on him

I seem to remember in the mists of fatigue that I rewound this to see what happened. The Georgian was coming in to prevent a try, not to cause injury. It wasn’t overly late, just poorly timed, but could be seen to be a penalty if you see what I mean. If the Georgian was to be cited then a player would be cited almost every time a try was scored.

so there wasn’t much doubt of him getting it down so it seemed pretty cynical.

Hmm, I’d say that it would be a pretty poor player who allowed a player to ground the ball just because it seemed a dead cert.

I’m not condoning foul play against anyone, England or not. 😆 I just think this was badly timed rather than cynical. Having said that I’m happy to be shown to be wrong if anyone has a clip of it so I can see it in a less befuddled state.

Pigface
    Free Member

There is a picture of Dillydayglo punching Jonah Lomu after he had scored another try to defeat england.

IdleJon

There was a mention of Phil Kearns about 10,000 posts ago and it reminded me of something that happened in RWC 91.

The Australian team were staying in a hotel near the Marina in Swansea for the RWC. My father was walking the dogs (two very placid retrievers) around the dock when he saw Kearns and Jason Little standing there. Kearns sees the dogs, puts his hand out to say ‘Nice dog’, withdraws hand very quickly as normally good tempered dog tries to savage him.

Rugby history could have been so different, just because of my dog…..

anagallis_arvensis

dont think using a hand to injure an arm near the ball is really comparable with kneeing somone in the head. Going for the ball as somone is in the act of scoring is legit he was just a bit late.

anagallis_arvensis

There is a picture of Dillydayglo punching Jonah Lomu after he had scored another try to defeat england.

that was funny, one of the few times Jonah looked angry. he looked like he was going to rip Dillys arms off before he was mobbed by congratulating players.

IdleJon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_jofIa5Pk&feature=youtu.be

Hitler/Gatland finds out that Shane has retired.

Has it been posted already?

DezB
    Free Member

A-A it wasn’t “a hand”. I’ll get it off the hightlights prog and youtube it. Although that’ll probably take me so long we’ll have forgotten about it 😛

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.