Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 621 total)
  • Royal mail have binned my rear shock!
  • roverpig

We probably should go to watchdog and some news outlets for this – it’s hilarious if nothing else.

Confiscate goods due to be against RoyalMail policy – sell them to auction – send via RoyalMail to winner.

Seems legit.

More than legit, it’s genius, as then you can confiscate them again when they are sent to the winning bidder 🙂

Maybe one for You and Yours on Radio 4 too.

andyrm
    Free Member

Watchdog’s one thing – I’d say a far better channel (and potentially more damaging for RM, so greater leverage) would be the Daily Mail and Daily Express, as their target demographic is very much the “outraged” middle Englanders who lap up things like Watchdog, Rogue Traders etc, and press coverage is much easier to recirculate in these days of syndicated news feeds…….

DMGT (who own the Daily Mail) own a huge number of regional websites they populate with spurious content that serves to drive traffic – a case of never let the truth get in the way of a good story if it will generate page impressions (see Bristol Post). Will see if I can find a contact in my press lists. They’d lap up a story of “Royal Mail stealing goods on the pretence of safety then selling for profit”.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got a homing pigeon for sale if anyone is interested.
    (no refund if you lose it)

chrismac

I just sent my air shocks to TF for service via the Royal Mail. I had them nicely boxed in a Fox suspension box and nobody asked any questions and TF have confirmed they arrived safe and well as expected.

The only questioning from the Post Office was about buying extra insurance for them incase they lost them. WTF!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Sorry, missed the earlier link.

The auctioneers named have one in January for bikes & accessrories – could be interesting.

14th January

No catalogue published yet though.

That’s handy, it’s just down the road from me and I’m off work on the 14th. I might have to pop down and have a look 😀

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Just to help those late to the party (it’s taken me about 10 minutes to pick up this thread from where it left off yesterday!), here’s links to this eBay seller’s listings which do appear to feature many potentially RM ‘prohibited’ items:

sharonj2013

sharonkind123

Looks fish-a-saurus.. 😮

ianv
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I just sent a parcel off today. The women specifically asked me what was in it as they now had to be stricter on what was allowed. She even gave ma a leaflet. Maybe a memo has been sent round.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’m losing confidence in a happy outcome… just had a read of the RM chat website and this confiscation seems to be going on on a huge scale. Alcohol, perfume, minor electronic parts etc.

If I though I was a special case I’d feel a bit happier but now I just think I’m in the same boat as hundreds of other unlucky victims.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Notmyrealname – if you end up with a new shock, let me know 🙂

Pauly
    hora
    Free Member

I sent two bike stems this week. I was asked what the package contained but not WHY at the post office.

To be brutally honest if theres a risk that they can keep whatever I pay for them to transport I wont ever use their service again. Whether the OP has a happy outcome or not.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you identify the shock when the auction house release the catalogue, tell the police an the auction house that they are about to sell stolen goods.

BoardinBob

Edit: damn link wont work

cookeaa

I’ve just been discussing this topic with a colleague who’s well in to his Motorbikes, he sends the shock from his track bike for a service/tune a couple of times a year, He reckons he knows a few others who probably do the same sort of thing…

If they’re going to implement this policy across the board I’d be interested to see what happens when the cease a ~£1K+ M/C shock…

JEngledow
    Free Member

Sorry if this has already been stated, but surely Hydraulic brakes could fall foul of these rules too as there is (potentially dangerous) brake fluid within the hoses!

Looks like I’ll be finding an alternative method for sending a couple of sets of brakes I have to sell!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

no more mail order condoms, they could contain air or high pressure fluids..

Vortexracing

There is a lot of stuff that can fall foul of these rules. 🙄

It looks like collect +, Hermes etc can save a fortune this year on advertising, just sit back and let the RM self destruct!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t read all the thread, so maybe this has already been said – surely your case against RM is helped by people like the guy on the previous page who has just sent his “shocks” by RM and the package got through.
    If his got through and yours didn’t then they have acted incorrectly with yours. It’s proof that they are not dangerous items.

dabble
    Free Member

I’d suggest going down with a set of Bombers, but they might confiscate them.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Notmyrealname – if you end up with a new shock, let me know

I’ll keep an eye out for one 😆

dabble
    Free Member

On a serious note it is ridiculous what has happened to the OP (and countless others it would seem from that other thread), not got much faith left in RM, not going to be sending anything of value with them any more.

+1 for watchdog and press, kick up a stink, its the only way they’ll listen.

bails

I’d warn against any kind of cyber witch hunt against the owner of the ebay and twitter accounts that have been posted. She may be perfectly legitimately buying ‘confiscated’ stock from RM and then sorting, advertising and selling it on.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think anybody was suggesting that, bails – if they are they’re fairly much on their own.

rickt
    Free Member

The ebay sellers really are not at fault. They are purchasing stock from a company which deems it to of breached their policy.

The company at fault here is RM in my opinion for re-selling items to e general public.

OP – I have read the thread, but would encourage you chase them up depending on the time you last spoke to them.

In then event of RM dismissing the issue, I would make direct contact with some of the big names in the UK bike scene, however dont forget some of these big companies will get heavy discounts with RM and may not want to put their necks on the line with the product they sell.

andyrm
    Free Member

It’s been enough for me to email my entire buying team and our key trade partners to request that no samples are sent forwards & backwards with RM from now on, and that we should use Parcel2Go’s standard service, which is usually UPS. Not a huge amount in RM terms, probably 200-300 parcels a month, but at an average of £8 a time, a decent hit to their revenue line. Hopefully more companies will do the same too.

BoardinBob

The ebay sellers really are not at fault. They are purchasing stock from a company which deems it to of breached their policy.

Not outwith the realms of possibilty that the ebay sellers have an inside man looking out for prime stock to confiscate

andyrm
    Free Member

Providing this is what they are doing, then yes, this is correct.

There’s something a little distasteful about RM profiting from goods they deem “dangerous” – if it’s too dangerous for their staff to carry, surely it is too dangerous to sell on to the general public?

njee20
    Free Member

If his got through and yours didn’t then they have acted incorrectly with yours. It’s proof that they are not dangerous items.

It’s not though is it – just that some get checked and some don’t. Bit of a strawman there.

If you post a load of ming vases and one doesn’t get smashed that doesn’t mean that none will. Or… you post a load of sulphuric acid in phials, if one doesn’t break that doesn’t mean it’s not hazardous.

Is it wrong that I’m really tempted to look at the RM auction next month, particularly as I’m not far from the auction house to pop over and get bits!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

surely your case against RM is helped by people like the guy on the previous page who has just sent his “shocks” by RM and the package got through.

Bit like saying your mate was speeding yesterday and got away with it, therefore you should too, officer…

robbieh
    Free Member

Now you know why RM’s advert says “we love parcels” its because they get your money for a service they don’t give and then make more money selling your goods on! see how the shares are rising? should please a few STW’s that bought them.

rickt
    Free Member

andyrm – Member

Providing this is what they are doing, then yes, this is correct.

There’s something a little distasteful about RM profiting from goods they deem “dangerous” – if it’s too dangerous for their staff to carry, surely it is too dangerous to sell on to the general public?

I agree, profiting from such items which are included in their loose T&C’s for that type of item is simple wrong.

andyrm
    Free Member

“we love parcels”

RicB

It’s not wrong; it’s theft.

RM has a duty of care to protect its employees from harm by banning and safely disposing of hazardous materials. That’s fair enough.

However, those items never become RMs property, so they can’t sell them on. They certainly aren’t the Ebayer’s property to sell.

If I was the OP I’d be tempted to report it to the police.

andytherocketeer

should please a few STW’s that bought them.

suspect that most STWers than have RM shares got them for free, by being posties. the rest prolly only have a financail interest indirectly by having pensions, tracker funds, etc.

I’m still for the Anne Robinson treatment. RM might not admit anything, but my well cough up a few quid in an exceptional case.

maxtorque

So, here’s my plan.

I will stick up a “terms & conditions” notice on my front door. It specifically says “Postmen and their goods are prohibited, and will be confiscated if found on my property.

When Postie comes tomorrow, i shall point at said notice, take his post bag off him and send him on his way. I shall then sell contents on ebay.

Sounds fair to me………. 😉

chip
    Free Member

A guy I worked with had a flat mate who was a postie who was sacked for stealing the mail.

Apparently caught because his car was visibly littered with many opened and un opened letters he should have delivered.

The Royal Mail brought no charges against him, just sacked him.
    I too think the fact I have to buy insurance from them against them losing, breaking or stealing my stuff is plain extortion. If they had to cover losses a lot less stuff would get lost, Broken or stolen.

willard

I thought that interrupting the mail was a criminal offence? Surely that would be able to be applied in this ^^^ and the OP’s case?

As for escalating this, I would get on the phone to R4’s Your and Yours. They seem keen to take on any sort of consumer champinionioning.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

champinionioning.

Wow!! 😆

wwaswas

Wow!!

champinionioning – a difficult word to stop spelling 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 621 total)

The topic ‘Royal mail have binned my rear shock!’ is closed to new replies.