Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 412 total)
  • Roll Call for Missing Forumites
  • ratherbeintobago

@hols2 Fair point. I might be thinking of @renton

Edit: on a total tangent, it’s a pity the tag notifications don’t work on the updated forum; mods – any word when this will be fixed?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Volvo for Sale

Spin
    Free Member

: I’m surprised Hora hasn’t got a mention

Was he not the full on Lance apologist/defender?

There’s a Lance thread active right now so maybe that will draw him out?

dannyh
    Free Member

I used to find THM’s blanket assertions that the adults would be showing up to the Brexit negotiations any minute quite comforting.

2-3 years later, though, none have shown up. At least not on the UK side.

Jambafact was a thing too – he was quite rightly called out on his misinformation. He kept doing it, jambafact gained momentum and I guess he didn’t like it to the point where he stopped. But, to reduce this to playground levels (de rigueur anyway) he did start it.😕

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not seen GW since lockdown started but you to see him smoking roadies on his BMX.

ratherbeintobago

@dannyh TBF the EU team appears to be adults, who are just as mystified by the UK team as the British public are.

Wasn’t there some chap who was mad keen on XC racing?

blitz

@ avdave

Yep, that was him. Davidtaylforth. Very funny.

crazy-legs

: I’m surprised Hora hasn’t got a mention

He pops up every once in a while on the Peak District MTB Facebook page.

@lowey
    : is that definite about SFB / simonfbarnes? Any idea when?

tjagain

Its a tricky issue where someone continually posts either abhorrent views or false claims and gets hounded for it then flounces

Geetee ( I think it was) was one who got a load of flack for what was to me abhorrent views and took a mighty flounce as a result. Others who I get on with saw that as bullying. To me it was that his abhorrent views needed to be challenged at every opportunity. I think Jamba and THM are similar cases in some ways

It becomes quite similar to “no platforming” by peer pressure rather than by the mods.

I do not know what the answer is to that.

tomhoward

I’m surprised Hora hasn’t got a mention

He’s on pinkbike under a different alias, avatar is him though.

dannyh
    Free Member

davidtaylforth was a master.

He knew how to catch a fish.

Spin
    Free Member

Its a tricky issue where someone continually posts either abhorrent views or false claims and gets hounded for it then flounces

The issue of forum bullying/hounding is largely down to the collective effect. If someone posts something objectionable everyone else feels the need to weigh in and collectively they get a kicking. For this reason I tend to look to see if others have already called it and if they have I don’t post. It’s one of those internet v real life issues, in a real life situation most of us probably wouldn’t engage in that kind of collective action but online it’s easy for it to snowball.

scotroutes

It becomes quite similar to “no platforming” by peer pressure rather than by the mods.

A very similar thing happened to that TJ guy a few years ago. Whatever he posted, folk just jumped on a bandwagon to argue with him and wind him up, often without actually reading his posts.

Kuco

Stratobiker, I use to like his blog on racing in France.

Drac

Not quite what happened though.

Edukator
    Free Member

Edit: Scrub that, he’s gone, not worth typing about.

kayak23

Ling

mehr
    Free Member

Hora is Sacalobra on Pinkbike, him and some other weirdo reject from here called titaniumtit (whose back on here as tdog after getting perma banned) used to shit up every thread they touched

He doesn’t post in the forums anymore after making a dick of himself in the Sick threads

Greybeard
    Free Member

Ling

She’s still lingering

kiwijohn

Farmer Giles paged me once, which was nice. Can’t remember what he wanted to ask me.

mattyfez

There is a few, most mentioned above. Hope they are OK for the most part.
    I quite like this forum, despite recently being banned for a month, there’s a good range of people who allegedly ride bikes now and then. So I’m hanging around for a bit. My condolences.

Cougar

Edit: on a total tangent, it’s a pity the tag notifications don’t work on the updated forum; mods – any word when this will be fixed?

It’s currently on the to-do list for site version 2.7.6, 2.7.4 being current and 2.7.5 planned to go live next week. This isn’t set in stone though, tasks can and do move.

The issue of forum bullying/hounding is largely down to the collective effect. If someone posts something objectionable everyone else feels the need to weigh in and collectively they get a kicking. For this reason I tend to look to see if others have already called it and if they have I don’t post. It’s one of those internet v real life issues, in a real life situation most of us probably wouldn’t engage in that kind of collective action but online it’s easy for it to snowball.

This. If you hold a minority view then it’s going to be a majority of people who disagree with you. That’s not bullying, it’s simply numbers. It’s when it starts spilling across into other threads than it becomes exponentially more problematic. As someone else said though, I don’t really know what the solution is to this – 20 people wade in in response to a post, we issue 20 warnings, we’ve essentially then just granted diplomatic immunity to the OP to post whatever they like unchallenged.

I never quite worked out whether Jmaba was a wind-up merchant, a serial BSer or just lived in his own little fantasy world and believed everything he posted, but if someone is going to post complete nonsense presented as fact then it should come as no surprise to them when it gets corrected.

We always encouraged him to use the Report Post link if anyone replied more robustly than he was comfortable with and he never did, so we assumed he was perfectly happy to keep popping in, throwing hand-grenades and then changing the subject.

tjagain

I had off forum discussions with Jamba and he never intimated he was particularly angry about being called out. THM on the other hand could not cope with it. ( THM and Jamba are real life friends)

tjagain

Cougar – what about the position like with Geetee? To me his views where abhorrent but clearly deeply and sincerely held. There was a bit of a pile on on him calling him out for his views. I felt they could not go unchallenged but clearly it really got to him. Other folk took the view that he was bullied for his views.

Drac

He didn’t need to his conjoined twin did it for him.

Edukator
    Free Member

THM and Jamba are real life friends

Good God!

I exchanged some messages with Jamba which I note have disappeared from my profile without me deleting them. He made much of being Paris based which makes having a friend in Scotland surprising. I’m afrai I took his messages as an attempt at manipulation rather than genuinely friendly. THM and you seemed to be at daggers drawn for years, TJ.

Caher

Peterfile, I seem to remember he posted some top notch camping and adventure photos in Scotland – I even toyed with the idea of a camping holiday, but I quickly came back to my senses.

lowey

Sorry guys, re SFB I meant I wont ever see or ride with him again. To the best of my knowledge he is in a care home now after a 2nd heart attack. Apologies for giving the wrong impression.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Peterfile, I seem to remember he posted some top notch camping and adventure photos in Scotland

Some spectacular scenery in some of them. Also lots of mountains, I think.

crazy-legs

Sorry guys, re SFB I meant I wont ever see or ride with him again. To the best of my knowledge he is in a care home now after a 2nd heart attack. Apologies for giving the wrong impression.

There were a fair few people posting on his FB timeline only 3 weeks ago for his birthday.

I know the family were always very private but I’m sure we’d have heard if he’d passed away.

Greybeard
    Free Member

THM and Jamba are real life friends

TJ, do you mean friends of yours, or each other?

Drac

He made much of being Paris based which makes having a friend in Scotland surprising.

He has a propert in Paris I believe he may have been planning on moving there. Anyway that’s enough from me as he’s not hear to defend himself.

scotroutes

Peterfile – I met him and his SO in an Aviemore café a few years ago. I wasn’t sure it was him and didn’t know his real name, so I actually had to ask “are you Peterfile?”.

That could have gone horribly wrong!

SaxonRider

Speaking of peters, what about peterpoddy, the motorcyclist from somewhere south?

Pigface
    Free Member

I got to sit out for a week because of Jamba, if he didn’t report it who did, had some nonsense from Drac which has coloured my opinion of him. Not an easy job being a mod but some are better than others.

Drac

I got to sit out for a week because of Jamba, if he didn’t report it who did, had some nonsense from Drac which has coloured my opinion of him. Not an easy job being a mod but some are better than others.

Anyone can report a post. Warnings don’t show from a specific mod.

househusband

Peterfile – I met him and his SO in an Aviemore café a few years ago. I wasn’t sure it was him…

@scotroutes
    If its the chap I’m thinking of I’ll wager a bet that it was his SO you recognised first… she’s, erm, very attractive!

tpbiker
    Free Member

One name that springs to mind is that chap who use to win Ten under Ben every year, raddogair I think. Not seen him on here in a long time..

Now seems an oportune moment to ask..aracer and junkyard, I kinda assumed they were the same character with 2 log ins? They always appeared on same threads, both held exactly the same views and backed each other up constantly, and their assertion that they were always correct on any subject known to man was borderline comical.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If its the chap I’m thinking of I’ll wager a bet that it was his SO you recognised first… she’s, erm, very attractive!

It is.

scotroutes

aracer and junkyard

I’ve met them both. At the same time. I can confirm they are not conjoined twins.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 412 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.