Home Forums Bike Forum Rockshox Super Deluxe – Feeling Weird after Servicing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rockshox Super Deluxe – Feeling Weird after Servicing
  • ricko1984
    Free Member

So I have a Rockshox Super Deluxe on my Trek Remedy.

I had it serviced a couple of months back, but it just feels really weird since then.

Essentially it needs way more pressure to get the same sag and when riding it just seems to sink into it’s travel far more than it feels like it should, making it not very supportive and sluggish when riding on the flat/ climbing.

It also feels wallowy on the descents.

I spoke to the people who serviced it, but they just said that the new seals etc are likely to make it do this and this is likely how it should feel. When I originally bought the shock it did not perform like this.

Even pumping in near max pressure, so the shock shouldn’t compress, it still feels very similar.

The shock had originally been upgraded with a Megneg air can, which I believe has been replaced like for like as part of the service.

I’ve checked the eye to eye measurement and this is as it should be (230mm).

It’s abit of a head scratcher for me and frankly quite frustrating as I am put off riding the bike like it is.

DickBarton

Have all the bands/tokens been used again? Assuming it had some previously…

singlespeedstu

I’d be sending that back to them and insisting they take another look.

Though after a couple of months it’s a bit late and they’ll probably just claim something has worn or been damaged in use.

Who did the work on it?

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

A couple of months should still be within service warranty, it does sound like my super deluxe without tokens, I switched to coil though and haven’t put the air one back on since.

thelooseone

I have a 2019 RS Super Deluxe with the MegNeg upgrade, when pumping up the shock from zero you need to ensure the negative and positive air chambers are equalised or you get the issue described. Put 50 psi in then cycle the shock (with the pump removed) to ensure the positive and negative chambers are equalised, do this every 50 psi until you reach the desired pressure. This ensures that both the positive and negative air chambers are equalised.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

@ricko1984 tf tuned ?

racereadysuspension
    Free Member

If it was serviced by a professional suspension service centre, it will almost certainly have had a full strip and rebuild. If it was done by a regular bike shop it would be worth checking what work was done as most shops would only ever do a basic air sleeve service rather than a full rebuild (typically £50 vs £100+)
    It sounds as though you have excessive negative air trapped in the lower part of the air sleeve and this is now causing you you to have to run a much higher than normal pressure to try achieve correct sag.
    Removal of the air sleeve would be the only resolution however if you’re not confident in what this entails I’d suggest getting a professional to look at it.

ricko1984
    Free Member

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

It was sent to TF Tuned so will have had the full service.

I have done the repressurization procedure to balance the air chambers, but was at different pressure intervals. Will try the 50psi increments to see if this works.

I have also suspected the tokens due to the extra pressure need, but doesn’t this only affect the bottom part of the stroke and not the top part which is the issue I’m having. I need to check how many have been put pack in though.

Will putting more tokens in the negative air chamber firm up the top part of the stroke?

tftunedshox
    Free Member

Hey Ricko1984 … please give me a call on 01373 826800 or drop me an email on service@tftuned.com with your booking ref no and we’ll get you sorted!  Cheers, Ruth @TFT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.