Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rockshox Ow-30 oil?
  • mactheknife

Im going to take off the lowers on my pikes to check/replace the oil levels and reassemble. It seems a very easy job.

The oil recommended id 0w-30. Is this just bog standard motor oil 0W-30 or is it a specific Rockshox type?

Cheers all 🙂

MarkLG
    Free Member

Where did 0w30 come from? I used 15w fork oil in the lowers and 5w in the damper last time I did my Revelations.

mactheknife

RockShox Leg Removal

Got it from here 🙂

MarkLG
    Free Member

In that case I’ve got no idea!

Stu661
    Free Member

Would be interested to know the answer to this also.

mactheknife

MarkLG, found this info on MTBR

tacubaya’s Avatar Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Does anyone with these have solid info on servicing these forks?

I heard through the grapevine that they are using a very specific oil in them, that has a very short service life (I believe it is used in motocross race engines, requiring replacement after a few hours of use in that field). I am really interested if there will be a greater durability as we obviously do not have as much heat buildup that would break down the oil in the same fashion, or what sort of maintenance schedule sram is intending us to use on this fork.
    Lubrication oil is Maxima Maxum Ultra 0w30 (motorcycle engine oil). It does not have a short service life but because of the low amount of lubrication in damper side (5 ml) I would recommend frequent maintenance.

iffoverload
    Free Member

i think multigrades like 5w30 for example relates to the the oils viscosity at different temperatures

this is different from 5Wt fork oil as this will never be subject to high temperatures as in an engine. it is a specific viscosity and affects how the damping will operate.

the oil in the lowers is sometimes just lubrication for the bushings and I suppose you can use any decent clean motor oil if this is the case.

however some forks use the damping oil for lubrication as well in which case I would suspect a suspension oil would give you more chance of finding the damping charecteristics you want.

nealy
    Free Member

Excellent 😀 Rockshox are using engine oil instead of damper fluid to lube the lowers. I’ve been using it in the lowers of my Reba’s for ages and it does make them feel smoother/plusher. I got onto it after seeing the enduro fork seal website recommending it and bods on MTBR doing far too much testing and proving it was fine and lubed better. Get fully synthetic and avoid extended life stuff, Mobil 1 is the best and I got 0w40 New Life from halfords http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_218746_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

Oil viscosity explained…

Most oils on the shelves today are “Multigrades”, which simply means that the oil falls into 2 viscosity grades (i.e. 10w-40 etc)

Multigrades were first developed some 50 years ago to avoid the old routine of using a thinner oil in winter and a thicker oil in summer.

In a 10w-40 for example the 10w bit (W = winter, not weight or watt or anything else for that matter) simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity/flow at low temperature. The lower the “W” number the better the oil’s cold temperature/cold start performance.

The 40 in a 10w-40 simply means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C. This is a fixed limit and all oils that end in 40 must achieve these limits. Once again the lower the number, the thinner the oil: a 30 oil is thinner than a 40 oil at 100°C etc. Your handbook will specify whether a 30, 40 or 50 etc is required.

robhughes
    Free Member

Loco is the guy to answer this one.

nealy
    Free Member

Looks like Rockshox 0w30 is Maxima Ultra 0w30 ester synthetic motorbike engine oil, same bottle…

Rockshox http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-RSPO1L.html

Maxima http://www.racefx.co.uk/product-details.asp?Submenu=1&Depth=1&productID=4846&CatID=112&ParentID=111

LoCo
    Free Member

Official line on this from SRAM, until 0w 30 Suspension oil becomes available use SRAM 3wt suspension oil.

The engine oil is a different formula as the application is different, heat, contamiation etc, you risk voiding your warranty if you use it, especially in the damper leg.

steel4real
    Free Member

I’d take Loco’s advice the RS 0W 30 stuff doesn’t appear to be available in the UK (or anywhere ?) yet.

The 3 WT stuff isn’t exactly common either but at least it is available (I think rear shocks used it ?)!

Love it – SRAM sell the forks but not the parts specified to service them 🙁

LoCo
    Free Member

Have the 0w 30 on back order atm, have 3wt stuff that use in rear shocks (Motul factoryline) v good high grade stuff or use the SRAM 3wt shock oil.

I know people have been using engine oil in the lower of older forks, and although it will work to a certain extent we’d always reccomend sticking with suspension specific oil as it’s designed to do the job.
    You could use high grade olive oil if you wanted but wouldn’t work as well as suspension specific stuff 😉

Keeping an eye on my pikes as there isn’t a huge amount of oil in them and the seals are now a single wiper/oil seal and foam ring as opposed to the separte oil and wiper seal as fitted to the Lyriks, so it’s a good idea to stick to lower leg service guidelines.

steel4real
    Free Member

Can Lyrik oil seals be fitted ?

(I’m thinking along the lines that Rev’s can be configured either way wiper seal & foam ring or wiper seal, thinner foam ring & oil seal)

I wonder when Fishers will bother to get the 0W 30 stuff in ?

LoCo
    Free Member

I wonder when Fishers will bother to get the 0W 30 stuff in ?

ETA says middle of January, not 100% on lyrik seals fitting as haven’t tried it, will make them feel a fair bit more ‘sticky’

kimbers

any update on this? pikes need a referesh

or should i just use the sram3 wt?

also red rubber grease ok for fork seals?

LoCo
    Free Member

Got litre bottles of 0w30 in stock, seals are not compatible with lyriks, any suspension grease is fine on seals (tiny amount)wouldn’t use the P600 though as too sticky

dirtydog
    Free Member

@loco, Any Fox gold?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep got some of that too, not for in the pikes though

fathomer

Bumping this as I’m struggling to find any, anyone know anywhere with stock?

kimbers

I’ve been using the 3wt rs stuff in my pikes, they haven’t died yet

daver27
    Free Member

I bought a litre bottle of the stuff from the continent. Bike-discount I believe.

bigjim

Its just oil to lube the bits in the lower legs, I wouldn’t lose sleep over what exactly you use. I’d imagine someone on ebay is doing small bottles but haven’t looked.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

Just bought some last week from Amazon

fathomer

Nice one gavjackson1984, not somewhere I’d expect to sell it and didn’t come up in Google searches!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Ow-30 oil?’ is closed to new replies.