Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rock Shox maxel
  • Rscott
    Free Member

Got some Pikes recently, first 20mm through forks with maxel i have had and they seem to be very bulky,not the forks but the qr its self.

Is there anything less bulcky i can use.

jam-bo

Did you know what a Maxle looked like before you bought them?

Rscott
    Free Member

Yes. I realised it was bulcky and its not that big an issue i was mearley, asking if there was any options to make it smaller.

thejesmonddingo

They are designed like that,if they were less bulky they wouldn’t work,HTH.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Basically, no.
    Maxle is probably just about the best front axle system available today. Farster than normal QR, stiffer, stronger and 100% secure. No need to change it at all. 🙂

What do you mean by bulky anyway? There’s a lever, and that’s all you can see once its on the bike….. 😐

Rscott
    Free Member

Mine is the older maxel with the lever and the Bolt kind oth thing sticking out the opposite side.

I supose i could get a new version of the maxel

jam-bo

Wouldn’t fit. Get used to it or change the fork.

Rscott
    Free Member

Cheers buys

Rscott
    Free Member

As i say its not an issue i was just wondering, as there are some pretty handy people with lathes in here, seeing if they had any home machining.

DrP

Just whack it with a hammer.
    Bound to make it smaller and lighter…..

DrP

Northwind

Pike might have an old Maxle 360 in it- those can be updated with a more recent maxle (we put the one from my 2010 Revs into an old Pike)

billytinkle
    Free Member

Mine is the older maxel with the lever and the Bolt kind oth thing sticking out the opposite side.

I supose i could get a new version of the maxel

Wouldn’t fit. Get used to it or change the fork.

Sure? I swapped my Maxle with an axle running through it for one that doesn’t without any problems.

Northwind

Ah cool- the original shots of the latest maxle lite (without the nut opposite the lever) had a slightly different design and weren’t backwards compatible, I guess that changed before production. Slightly lighter too

nickhart
    Free Member

The design of the maxle, the current one anyway, has seemingly been optimised for strength and weight. It’s not like the good old days when hope would produce a slinky gorgeous anodised qr lever which could be retro fitted.
    I’ve spent a lot of time looking at the maxle and similar and they may in the future have a standard which may then create an aftermarket worth making stuff for.

toys19
    Free Member

There is this 15mm aftermarket jobbythe dc15 by tune, I think they do a 20mm too.

toys19
    Free Member

Oh they don’t. dissapointment here.. Although I always liked the 20mm maxle on my totems. Is it really an issue? Have you found it to be too bulky whilst riding or just when trying to fit it in places it was not designed for?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox maxel’ is closed to new replies.