Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Robin van Persie to Man U!
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/terms-agreed-for-van-persie-transfer

That’s a pretty good strike force: Rooney, RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck and Berbatov*.

Bregante

Surely Berbatov will be on his way out now?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Hence the asterisk.

bigrich

excellent. All this expenditure will hasten the day they go bankrupt, and vanish into a vile pit of narcissism.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Oh ffs. He could have at least moved abroad 🙁

timc
    Free Member

Good move for RVP & Man Utd

Another bad day for Arsenal

jimmy

nice way to see out his career on the MU bench.

muggomagic

Feel sorry for Danny Wellbeck. This should be the season he becomes a regular for Man U and England.

spacemonkey

That’s a pretty good strike force: Rooney, RVP, Hernandez, Welbeck and Berbatov*.

Plus the new Chilean fella who’ll probably end up out on loan.

Rooney and RVP may well be first choice in most games (fitness prevailing) but Welbs and Hernandez will still have a role to play. Berbatoss et al probably won’t get much of a look-in outside of the CC.

MSP

He had one great season at Arsenal, when the whole team was playing to feed him, I don’t think he will repeat it. Utd overpaid for him just to prove the owners will spend money. He is good, but I don’t think he is that good, 29 years old and only one great season, odds are against a repeat.

spacemonkey

Yeah, but if we get 20 goals a season out of him for 3 years then it’ll be decent enough business IMO. None of us are expecting another 30+ seasong.

Ed2001
    Free Member

He had one great season at Arsenal, when the whole team was playing to feed him, I don’t think he will repeat it. Utd overpaid for him just to prove the owners will spend money. He is good, but I don’t think he is that good, 29 years old and only one great season, odds are against a repeat.

Injury prone ill grant you,but not that good 😯 clueless

convert

Yeah, but if we get 20 goals a season out of him for 3 years then it’ll be decent enough business IMO. None of us are expecting another 30+ seasong.

3yrs at 20 goals a year = 60 goals
    £220K pw wage (aparently to match Rooney)
    £24M transfer fee.
    Say £8M transfer fee back in the coffers in 3 years as a 32yr old.

That’s £970K per goal (plus any insurance your have to pay for a player’s health etc, not sure…)

Does that not seem simply unreal amounts of cash? Not RVP specifically but in comparison to what we have been watching at the Olympics over the last couple of week.

spacemonkey

But the fee is allegedly based on £15m up front plus performance-related add-ons. So if he does average say 20 goals a season and we win 2 PLs then IMO his purchase will have made a significant contribution. It won’t matter if the total fee ramps up along with mega wages. Job done as far as on-field performance is concerned.

All hypothetical of course …

Ed2001
    Free Member

3yrs at 20 goals a year = 60 goals
    £220K pw wage (aparently to match Rooney)
    £24M transfer fee.
    Say £8M transfer fee back in the coffers in 3 years as a 32yr old.

That’s £970K per goal (plus any insurance your have to pay for a player’s health etc, not sure…)

Does that not seem simply unreal amounts of cash? Not RVP specifically but in comparison to what we have been watching at the Olympics over the last couple of week.

But if his goals mean success in champions league,prem, etc these figures are peanuts

spacemonkey

Remember, Vidic is back, Kagawa is quality (well, in the Bundesliga anyway) and DDG has another year under his belt. Sure, we’re still missing a DM but I think SAF is entrusting Carrick/Cleverley to handle that side of things, with Kagawa/Scholes playing further up.

convert

But if his goals mean success in champions league,prem, etc these figures are peanuts

I’m sure you are right – just scarey that a sport can get itself into a situation where that amount of cash is sloshing around. I’d hate to think what would happen if you did the sums on Ronaldo. Actually scarier in a per goal calulation to do it on Torres or Carroll!

What inspired me to do the sums is remembering that the entire world beating British Cycling Olympic project is built on a grant of £24M.

Edric64
    Free Member

and we win 2 PLs then IMO his purchase will have made a significant contribution.

Surely you mean they unless you play for them ?

headfirst
    Free Member

They can have him! Now they’ll be paying his wages when he gets an injury before the end of September and is out for the rest of the season. One full season we got from him, in the 8 or 9 he was here. Did you know that the ‘van’ bit of his name is Dutch for ‘Michael Owen’?

Ed2001
    Free Member

They can have him! Now they’ll be paying his wages when he gets an injury before the end of September and is out for the rest of the season. One full season we got from him, in the 8 or 9 he was here. Did you know that the ‘van’ bit of his name is Dutch for ‘Michael Owen’?

Bitter gooner 😀
    Understandable when you see the exodus of quality players that has left the club over recent years.clearly a club with no ambition whatsoever…… another season with nothing at the end of it. 😆

spacemonkey

Yep, he is being bought on the back of just one season and sod’s law says he’ll spend X months out injured in his first season. But that’s the gamble. Probably even more likely given the number of ‘innocuous’ training injuries we have compared to most other clubs.

Edric64
    Free Member

‘innocuous’ training injuries we have compared to most other clubs.

Thats all the boots Fergie throws at errant players

headfirst
    Free Member

Yes I am bitter but not for the reasons you give. The club looked after him through thick and thin, including his jail time (false rape charge) when others would have cast him aside. And he repays this with a complete lack of loyalty. I s’pose that’s modern football for you

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s a pretty good forward line, City will still win the league though, Tevez and Aguero still edge it for me.

Ed2001
    Free Member

He is with out doubt a gamble, given his injury history, but to say he has been bought on the back of last season is ridiculous?

PrinceJohn

This move surprised me, he’ll go from not winning trophies at Arsenal to not winning trophies at Man U. Should’ve gone abroad.

Coyote
    Free Member

Tevez and Aguero still edge it for me

Until Tevez finds something else to throw his toys out of the pram over.

Royston
    Free Member

. The club looked after him through thick and thin, including his jail time (false rape charge) when others would have cast him aside. And he repays this with a complete lack of loyalty. I s’pose that’s modern football for you

That doesn’t make sense, he could of walked away in a years time (out of contract) and Arsenal would have got nothing (they paid 2.75M for him). At least this way Wenger’s got some cash and he(or his scouts)has/have a knack of identifying young talent with bags of potential.

aa
    Free Member

firstly, i am an arsenal fan.

Fair play to rvp, he’s served arsenal well. For a player with 1 season left it’s a fair price. If he wins man u a title, fair play. It’ll be money well spent. If he flops, like a lot of arsenal explayers, it’ll be great business for arsene, only time will tell. Better them than those gold digging bastards across the city (i hope they do a blackburn).

One thing will happen though, we will have someone who performs just as well. So, we wont miss him.

headfirst
    Free Member

That doesn’t make sense, he could of walked away in a years time (out of contract)

or he could‘ve extended his contract for a few years and retired at the club. Oh, but only no-hopers do that. Like Dennis Bergkamp 😐

zippykona

Obviously they have had to up their fire power now that the mighty hammers are back.

CaptJon
    Free Member

aa – Member

One thing will happen though, we will have someone who performs just as well. So, we wont miss him.

Who in the squad is going to get 30 goals and 9 assists in 37 games?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Once again a brilliant bit of business by Wenger . Gets a the best years out of a player then sells them for a huge profit when they are past their peak . Same story as Henry , Vierra , Anelka etc .

MSP

Who in the squad is going to get 30 goals and 9 assists in 37 games?

Last season they had to base the squad around him, that is too risky a strategy to continue for another season, with the other strikers and players coming into Arsenal, last season would not have been repeated, nor will it be at United.

IMO it’s a risky bit of business by Fergi, he may get the 20+ goals that the United fans are hoping for, but it is equally as likely that not being the sole spearhead for the team he gets a lot less.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Once again a brilliant bit of business by Wenger . Gets a the best years out of a player then sells them for a huge profit when they are past their peak . Same story as Henry , Vierra , Anelka etc .

+ Nasri,Fabrigas …….yes he’s a genius 😯

Royston
    Free Member

Maybe at Man Utd RVP won’t be under pressure to play every game like he was at Arsenal. In which case he may not pick as many injuries therefore potentially increasing his influence over the games he does play in?

jwt
    Free Member

Hope this still leaves room for Nick Powell somewhere?

loum
    Free Member

If he stays fit, he’s proven to be a top premiership striker, like Rooney.
    Actually, very like Rooney – The runs he makes, where he likes to pick up the ball, the passes , the goals he scores.
    Maybe the better partnership will have Wellbeck or Hernandez playing?
    Maybe Rooney’s off to City? 😉

portlyone

Some of our squad will no doubt be playing in the new 21s league at the weekends while Kagawa and RvP/Rooney lead our line for the senior team.

timc
    Free Member

Lolz @ arsenal fans

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Robin van Persie to Man U!’ is closed to new replies.