Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Roadie stem advice.
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Ive got an not sure how old steel ribble road bike sitting in my shed,
    Its a 60cm way to big for me realy but i ride it anway and its comfortable for a 50+miles ride. Recently treated myself to a modern carbon fibre right size bike. So not using the ribble.

Now ive i got a hankering to bull horn the thing but then it would be way to long for me. The steerer looks tobe about 1″ any ideas where i could get an shorter stem to fit? Imean like realy short possibly under 30mm?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If you go that short, it’ll be twitchier than bill oddie

Shibboleth
    Free Member

It’ll hand like a dog with such a short stem, and the range of quill stems available isn’t huge so you’d probably be looking on ebay.

With older frames, frame size was much more critical than on modern frames where spacers, stems and seat posts can be used to make it fit a wider range of riders. Unless you’re 6’2+, I’d ditch the frame (they can make handy money on ebay) and get something that fits.

Are you looking to use it as a winter bike? I put the bits off an old Ribble on a Dolan Prefissio with full mudguards… It’s fantastic.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

but i ride it anway and its comfortable for a 50+miles ride.

Not the wrong size then!

seizednuts
    Free Member

Well DOC im only 5’10” so a 60cm frame has me stretched out wich i find OK plus, i can ride in a position same as if aero bars fitted. 😀

Shibboleth
    Free Member

60cm is way too big for a 5’10 person, you’d be looking at a 54-56cm…

I’m 6’1″ and my 58cm Ribble felt too big…

toronte
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″. I had a similiar issue when I bought my 56cm Giant Defy(M/L claimed 53,5cm). I could get it fit with a 80mm stem and zero setback post. No real handling penalty, feels fine. 60cm is huge. I’d say there’s no way fitting that for you.

unovolo
    Free Member

Just fit the quill stem backwards and then fit bullhorns as normal.
    Will probably be very strange to ride but doable.

Failing that fit a quill/ahead adaptor which will allow you to fit a ahead stem instead of the quill stem.
    You can then fit any size stem you want.
    LINKY

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Roadie stem advice.’ is closed to new replies.