Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Roadie Alfine 8 users – lots of questions
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,
    Converting my commuter to 8 speed Alfine as it’s eating drivetrains and is worse over the winter. Going for the Di2 version so that I can have hydraulic brakes. Just looking for advice please.
    Which size chainring/sprocket do you use and is it hilly where you live? I’ve got a 52 mile/2,500ft commute (round trip, not each way)what sizes should I be looking for?
    Do you use a big fat singlespeed chain or something else? I have a 9sp chain on my ss MTB and it’s fine, sprocket from an old cassette at the back
    I’ve got vertical dropouts so will run a tensioner at the back. Do you suggest a narrow/wide ring or a guide at the front or both?
    Is there anything else you think I should know? I’ve already bought STIs and the hub because I found some going cheap…
    Thanks all

Android
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a Titus Fireline 29er which I built with an 8 speed Alfine. I used the manual (non Di2) and had no issues with hydraulic discs.

They have quite a limited range (307% I’m running a 34 on the front so I’m going uphill it can be a bit of a grind, and on the downhills my legs are going like a whirling dervish……

I had a few tensioners, but they were all flawed in one way or another so I ended up going with an Excentricker EBB which seems to work well and the replacement bearings (when I need them seem pretty cheap.

I also have the 11 speed alfine which has a wider range but is very touchy with cable stretch or dirt so was thinking about the Alfine 11 DI2 to eliminate the problems above.

tjagain

Mines on an mtb I have hybridised for commuting. running 32 / 15 gearing but that spins out around 28 mph ( but I have some hills to climb and like to spin at a high cadence up them)edit – 26″ wheels
    As long as you get decent chainline ordinary chainring should do

Sheldon brown has a gear calculator you can use to work out ratios. IIRC usual road combo is 45 / 16. Gear 5 is direct

I use 9spd chain as all my bikes run this. NO issues with it using putoline chain wax. I only lube it every few thousand miles

Chew
    Free Member

Use Sheldon Browns Gear Calculator to work out what ratios you need, based upon what you currently have.

Cant remember the ratios im using off top of my head, but the lowest is roughly equivalent of 34/28 and that gets me up everything in Calderdale. On the flat you’ll be in top gear and spin out downhill, but who pedals downhill?

Vs geared its lots less maintenance. It feels draggy at times, but overall its probably the same amount of loss as a geared system.

Kahurangi

Mine is a Singlular Peregrine, very happy to share info by emial if you want.

I run 42 front 20 rear, with approx 700x35c tyres. Enough to get up fair hills but not spin out unless downhill with a tailwind. I live and used to ride it up and down the hills of Tynedale.

I now have an SLX chainset with only the large ring left on. I use a 3/32″ singlespeed chain for no particular reason, although IIRC Alfine kit is designed to work fine with 8 speed chains.

The peregrine has an EBB so no tensioner is needed.

You should not need a NW chain ring and you’re almost certianly get a longer life by using something cheap and steel for a chain ring.

Old Pic, might not work

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have an 8 on my commuter and although it’s great for that I wouldn’t want to do any more miles on it than my 8 miles per day. It’s so draggy and heavy the bike always feels really sluggish with all the weight in the wrong place. It’s also on the limit of being too hard for up hills and spinning out on the downhills.
    All that is ofsett by almost zero maintenance over the last 6 years and it still works perfectly.
    Edit: My chainring is 42t and the rear sprocket is 18t. My commute is about 3.5 miles gradual uphill on the way with 0.5 miles steep downhill at the end and reversed on the way home.

Saccades
    Free Member

I run (ran) 45:18 on my alfine unless I was doing a long hilly spin then I’d stick a 20 on.

Commute was 15 miles each way with a cat 4/5 climb.

It was a mk1 pompino with track ends so easy enough to tension, had single speed chain and it all lasted for at least 23k km, since been sold as I can’t commute by bike anymore so bought a PX LR for longer sunday spins. No need for a guide.

I drilled a spanner and stuck it under the bottle cage, had bolts with a knurled top (oh err) so I always had a spanner to remove the hub in case of a puncture, was some short stubby thing (13mm?)

willyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 8 speed Nexus hub (700c wheel 35c tyres) running 42 x 20 is fine; low enough for Sheffield with a toddler on board. I really wouldn’t want to be riding more than 10/ 15 miles a day on a hub geared bike unless it was flat.
    Compared to my other bikes with cassette/ freehubs, you can really notice the hub drag.
    Lack on maintenance is a major bonus though.

tjagain

ideally you want to be just cruising along in 5th as its direct drive. So whatever gear you use now for cruising use that as a start point

trail_rat
    Free Member

less maintainance yup but i sold mine and went back to cheap and cheerful claris as it was horribly draggy irrespective of gears. It seems like it never broke in…. it had been serviced as per the book too

New bike although heavier seems and is faster on the same door to door ride…..

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

@Jon Taylor, What shifter are you using? Looking at converting my Swift for road duties.

Cheers, Steve

thepodge
    Free Member

Halfords anti rust chain did me good for years on my alfine

Kahurangi

Skankin – sorry for the late reply – I have the Versa shifters.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Jon Taylor – Thanks, will look into them.

Cheers, Steve

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I did many 1000’s of miles on a Rohloff as a commuter.

Chain doesn’t make much difference – 8 or 9 are fine.

I’m using an Alfine 8 on a city bike at the moment in London and I’m using the full range. If you’ve got a properly hilly commute then it’s probably worth looking at the 11 (or a second hand Rohloff)

The Alfine does feel draggier than the Rohloff to me.

johnners
    Free Member

I run a 44 chainring and 18 sprocket, according to online calculators that gives about the gear spread of a 50/34 compact with a 12/27 cassette, just losing out on the very top gear. Obviously there are bigger jumps between gears, especially 1-2 and 5-6 but it’s something you get used to. That gets me up pretty much anything.

No tensioner because I’ve semi-horizontal dropouts, and a 9 speed chain because it’s what I had.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’m looking at 38 or 40 to 18 with my Alfine 8 for mine down here in Cornwall, a couple of killer hills!

Cheers, Steve

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Roadie Alfine 8 users – lots of questions’ is closed to new replies.