Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Roadbike, Tourer, cummuting bike help and advice please
  • Vortexracing

Morning peeps,

I currently have the following two Bikes

A Carbon Jamis Road bike with 105 and a Cotic Roadrat with 105.

The wheels I use on both are hope hoops on open Pro rims.

The Jamis I use for commuting in summer and the odd ride with the lads from work, ie no Racing ATM.

IMG_2726 by eastham_david, on Flickr

The Roadrat I use to commute in Winter and for any roadrides with the same group of guys, plus it’s great as a SS in summer.

P1040051 by eastham_david, on Flickr

I am quite attched to both bikes the Jamis is light, comfy and feels fast, the Roadrat is very versatile comfy and allows full mudguards with 28c + tyres. I can use it with a rack so it means no Rucksack on the way to work AND I was planning to do some light touring on it next year.

Here is the problem.

Mrs V is making noises about a new Kitchen, so I have been looking to reduce the two bikes in to 1 all rounder. This should release some funds towards the kitchen.

I know very little about Road/Cross bikes, and I’m looking for a good all rounder.

I do Fancy having a go at some sportives next year so having an eye on lightish weight is a bonus. The ability to run bigger tyres in Winter and attach both guards and a Rack is also at the top of the list as well.

A frame only deal is all I need as I will use the 105 stuff and Hope wheels off the Roadrat.

Before the two bikes above, I had a Ribble alluminium framed winter bike and it was awful. I had pins and needles in my hands and arms after about 15 miles and this seems to have put me off Ally frames.

The Kineses range T2 or TK2 seem to be perfect as they come in 48cm sizes, but so does the cross bike frame the 5T.

All 3 however are alluminium, which is constantly playing on my mind (given the Ribble).

so to the chase,

1) Does anybody know of a carbon frame that can fit Guards, big tyres and a Rack?

2) Are the Kinesis Bikes/Frames good buys?

3) What other frame/Forks are there that fit the bill?

4) I’m I looking for too much in 1 frame/fork?

Sorry for the long post but I need some advice as I’m currently stuck as what to do. 😕

Ta

Chucky

RealMan
    Free Member

MTFU?

Vortexracing

You Know that thought never entered my mind.

RealMan
    Free Member

Happy to have helped.

Seriously though, think you might be asking for too much, if what you want is a lightweight carbon sportive machine that can also take big tyres, mudguards, and a rack.

Kinesis bikes are nice, and don’t be put off by aluminium just cause of one bad frame, I’ve heard crappy things about that ribble (I’ve also heard nice things about it too though).

Certain cross bikes might fit the bill, the specialized crux for example. Will take big tyres, and with cantis you won’t have a problem changing between tyres and putting mudguards on. And I’m sure there’s one out there that will fit a rack too.

But it’s never going to be as light as a proper road bike, obviously.

If you could get away without the rack (looks like you do in the summer with the Jamis..?) it would open you up a bit. I’d just stick with the jamis, get the newer crud roadracer guards as they offer full coverage, and run that throughout the year. You probably won’t be able to fit bigger tyres though.

theboatman
    Free Member

Just keep the rat, and live with the fact it’s going to be a bit heavy for sportive’s. How many are you really going to do? I’m not really sure how much cash your plan will throw up compared to the cost of a kitchen.

Vortexracing

It won’t pay for the kitchen but it might buy the fidge/freezer.

and to be honest not sure on how many sportives I’ll be doing, but more than likely not that many.

johnners
    Free Member

Keep both. What you’ll get selling either of those won’t make much of a contribution to the cost of a new kitchen, and you’ll probably end up paying much more when you inevitably “bike up” again in a few months time.

Honestly, keeping both will save you money in the long run.

druidh
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    Keep both. What you’ll get selling either of those won’t make much of a contribution to the cost of a new kitchen, and you’ll probably end up paying much more when you inevitably “bike up” again in a few months time.

Honestly, keeping both will save you money in the long run.That.

If nothing else, the groupset and wheels off one might end up as spares for the other and, in the long-term, actually save you money (or at least that’s the argument I’d be making to your Mrs)

simondbarnes

Have you considered ti?

Harvest Time by simondbarnes, on Flickr

My Sabbath September takes rack & guards (with up to a 28mm tyre) for commuting use, have used it happily out on roadie clubruns and would be perfectly fine for the odd sportive. I wouldn’t really want to road race or time trial on it but for everything else it seems spot on 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member
    Have you considered ti?

But the OP wants to actually make some money in the process….

simondbarnes

But the OP wants to actually make some money in the process….

We all know that isn’t going to happen 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

There arnt really any carbon frames out there that will take large tyres other than cross bikes, and carbon cross bikes are $$$. An alternative might be a carbon seat-stay bike, like the Kinesis one, should be nicer than full alu but being a cross bike it will never be as nice as your current road bike. Rack wise, you can get ones that mount to your QR but for full mudguards youd have to bodge them on.

Unfortunately tho, your carbon frame is a Jamis, so prob very little s/h (sorry), meaning any money you make from the sale of the Roadrat will go towards the new more versatile frame. Id just be sticking with what you have TBH.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mrs V is making noises about a new Kitchen

you know what you did to Archie she is doing this to you
    My advice act like him whimper a bit and hope she lets you keep the bike and the erm Unmentionables 😀

What about using a seatpost mounted rack? I have one you can borrow but they takes a fair amount of weight IME. That solves that issue – the others cant really help

kilo

Another vote for sticking with both – obviously easy for those not in your position but from a practical, you won’t garner that much cash by selling of the jamis, you’ll shag your one bike commtuing through winter on it if you commute every day and the choise of do it all frame seems quite limited. However if you were to get rid of one I’d keep the roadrat, not ridden one but it looks as though you could shed a lot of weight for sportives (weight of the bike isn’t that much of an issue set against fitness, comfort and decent wheels and tyres) and just get some fast tyres for good days. You could just tell the wife as a sacrifice towards the new kithen you’ve decided not to buy the fixed wheel/ mtb / hyrbrid you were thinking about.

charliedontsurf

Surly cross check. Best bike in the world if you only have one bike.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-cross-check-frame-and-forks—damned-versatile-707-p.asp

I have toured, Single speeded, fixie, Mtb raced… And even been to the pub on it.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Ooh look, Cross Check for sale .

johnners
    Free Member

Surly cross check. Best bike in the world if you only have one bike.

He’s right. I’ve run mine geared and ss, I ride to work on it, ride round on it and Audax on it, and have done the Dragon and ToW on it. Takes big tyres for a bit of rubber-cushioned off-road fun.

There have been a couple in the classifieds in the last few days, I was tempted by one frame even though I already have one.

Vortexracing

Firstly cheers for the pointers guys. I’m only ickle so I need a 48cm frame so those Surleys are too big. Are they really any different to my Roadrat anyway?

Why do you think the Jamis (as a whole Bike) will fetch little money, is it because it’s not a popular name in this country?

I had the idea of it being worth about £600, do you reckon this is a little high? If it is, then your right, the amount of cash released by selling the Jamis and the Roadrat frame/forks and replacing with a circa £400 frameset (like a Kinesis) becomes rather small and not worthwhile.

I’ll do some more thinking and see how it pans out.

johnners
    Free Member

those Surleys are too big. Are they really any different to my Roadrat anyway?

As a longtime Soul-lover, I got sucked into the marketing hype around the Roadrat when it launched – bought a frame, built it, rode it, hated it, stripped it, sold it. Got back on my Cross-Check feeling guilty and used.

YMMV

Vortexracing

As a longtime Soul-lover, I got sucked into the marketing hype around the Roadrat when it launched – bought a frame, built it, rode it, hated it, stripped it, sold it. Got back on my Cross-Check feeling guilty and used.

I suppose the difference is I really like my Roadrat. Both jamis and Roadrat are great bikes just used for different things. What I was after was a frameset that sat somewhere in the middle of them.

tinribz
    Free Member

A new Kaffenback is nearly as versatile as Rat and rides more like a road bike. If you get a carbon fork and light weight wheels etc for summer you will only be looking at a 2lbs penalty compared to carbon bike. And there has to be a compromise somewhere.

Else splash out on a custom Yates or Jackson. Or maybe a cotic X or Uncle John. Have also often wondered about the viability of putting a rack on one of those steel Peugeot frames you see on ebay – probably not up for proper touring though.

izakimak
    Free Member

here you go vortex:
    carbon frame that will take mudguards and a rack,http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/bikes/audax/hewitt-audax/

johnners
    Free Member

In spite of all that ^, I still think you’d be daft to get rid of either bike, and it won’t make or save you any money to do so!

Vortexracing

Cheers, and only in Leyland (8 miles away)

plus they do a XXS, just need to find a price. (Gulp)

cheers mart

In spite of all that ^, I still think you’d be daft to get rid of either bike, and it won’t make or save you any money to do so!

It is looking that way I must admit

emanuel
    Free Member

vortex,I’ve got a kinesis gran fondo,takes full mudguards,rack mounts,pretty light at 1.6kg and comfortable,yet stiff.
    I use it as my roadbike as I commute on a thorn audax.
    I could probably commute on the kinesis,but gearing and setup would be different on each usage,as would tyre choice,lights etc.
    having said that,it could be done,two wheelsets,one nicer,one basic(tiagra/opensport or something like that)clip on lights.
    maybe a syntace vro stem.
    would you really save some money?the surly looks ace.a bit like the mk3 audax I have but with sliding dropouts.
    (and likewise I could use the thorn as a road bike.but It’s got racks and dynamos and a shorter.higher stem)

plus i’m not married..

emanuel
    Free Member

mostly commute on a ss road bike though,fair weather commuter.
    unmarriable I think.

Vortexracing

I looked at the Kinesis GF emanuel, but alas they don’t do the 48cm size 🙁 only the KT2 and T2 are available in that size (oh an a couple of crosser frames).

mattsccm
    Free Member

Dunno about the selling price of your bikes and I would go with the idea of keeping them . You will loose a lot. If you do sell how about a Spa Cycles titainium jobby. About 1500 quid. Not sure how much that differs from the selling of two bikes though.

emanuel
    Free Member

sorry vortex,hadn’t noticed that(or the reply)
    I seem to remember the sizing being c-t not c-c.maybe I’m wrong.but look at the geo chart.
    I’d not hesitate to reccomend either of my bikes.the thorn is not too expensive-esp fully built.and not much heavier.
    you could get some stupid light wheels built up quite cheaply when funds allow,planetx rims,tubs.tighter cassette.
    and some deore/hub generator wheels for commuting.
    I’d do that.and get one of those coloured smeg fridges I couldn’t afford.

ourmaninthenorth

Vortex – though prob not hitting your budgetary reqs, Dolan do a carbon frame that fits guards and 25c tyres (called the Dual, I think). Pearson also do a carbon audax frame (prob same as the Hewitt).

Dolan just down the road, too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Roadbike, Tourer, cummuting bike help and advice please’ is closed to new replies.