Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Road wheel conundrum
  • ds3000
    Free Member

OK, going mad trying to make a decision on what to buy. After a new wheelset to used on a CAAD10. Occasional commuting, 20-30 mile weekend rides, no racing (other than strava PBs).

I’ve narrowed it down to;

– Open pro on 105 with DT comps, handbuilt.

– Ultegra 6800

– Dura Ace c24 (2nd hand in v good cond, v good price)

– Archetype on 105 with DT comps, handbuilt

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’m starting to go a little crazy trying to decide.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Any of those would be fine 🙂

FWIW, of those I have OP/105 on my winter miles bike and they have been fine so far.

nemesis
    Free Member

Personally I’d go with soemthing handbuilt as it means easy replacement of parts if you break anything or anything goes wrong.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

a23’s, archetypes, stans alpha, etc

Whatever spokes you’re comfortable with

Novatech hubs

For 20-30mile rides the long term reliability of shimano hubs is moot, they’re just heavy, but for commuting I’d not use factory built wheels as you’ll trash rims in winter, which equaly makes the hub reliabilty moot, you could treat the hubs novatech hubs in handbuilts as disposable (they’re not, they’re as good as any expensive hub) for the cost saving over a new shimano rim!

ds3000
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – do you know whether novatech make planet x’s hubs? If so, the bearings in the rear failed pretty quickly on my al30s, the front has been perfect for years though.

karnali
    Free Member

Ds3000 if u don’t buy the dura ace wheels I could b interested in them if they are for general sale.

geetee1972
    Free Member

This one is really easy.

The Dura Ace C24s every single time. Assuming they are clinchers. Not that the carbon ones wouldn’t be sublime and even better, but they will by default be tubulars and that’s not really where you should be going unless you really know what is involved in running tubs.

Just because you’re not using them for racing doesn’t mean that changing the wheels won’t have the biggest impact on your ride quality, feel and enjoyment short of changing the frame. And in some instances, where carbon frames these days are so alike, it can have a more dramtic effect.

The C24s are bombproof, incredibly light, far lighter than you’ll even remotely get with a set of handbuilts (C24 a pair are 1395g, a handbuilt even with CX Ray spokes, which cost £2.50 a spoke, will weigh north of 1750g) and sublime to ride. They are brilliant brilliant wheels and if you had an option on a set that were in good condition and south of say £280, then you shouldn’t even be debating it.

Handbuilts are fine; they are reliable, easy to fix and, most importantly, cheap. But they don’t come close to the performance you can get from a factory set of wheels. It’s just factory wheels tend to be a lot more expensive. New, the C24s can now be had for around £650, so even that is less of an issue these days.

ds3000
    Free Member

The c24s in question are 290 quid, 2012 version with ultremo tubeless fitted. Sound like a good deal?

geetee1972
    Free Member

The c24s in question are 290 quid, 2012 version with ultremo tubeless fitted. Sound like a good deal?

If they really are in excellent condition then yes, that’s a good deal. It’s not a give away price (as I said you can get them new for £650) but it’s a bit more in your favour than the sellers. The tryres sweeten the deal.

I have a set of the C35s I have run for a year and done 10,000km on them without a single problem. They really are fabulous and bomb proof. I can’t warranty them for you but if it were my money that’s what I would buy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

a handbuilt even with CX Ray spokes, which cost £2.50 a spoke, will weigh north of 1750g

Utter guff, and revs are cheaper and as light.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’re so polite Cynic-al.

I have, in my garage, right now, a pair of H Plus Sons Archetypes, with CX Ray spokes, and CK hubs and they weigh 1790g.

DT Revs are as light as CX Rays granted, but they are nothing like as strong. From experience, again (that;s the key to this), I’ve tried Revs on my mountain bike wheels and CX Rays. I’ve broken the Revs several times but never the CX Rays.

So what part is guff and what part is just you being you?

nerd
    Free Member

You’re comparing apples with bananas. And speaking guff.

I have a pair of wheels in my garage right now, Kinlin XR19w rims on eBay “Mr Ride” hubs built with Sapim Laser spokes and Race on the drive side. They weigh 1350g.
    I also have another set of wheels. Hope front hub, Campag Record rear hub, Sapim race spokes all round, Velocity A23 rims. They weigh 1620g.

Guff.

geetee1972
    Free Member

OK to give you credit, the Ambrosio Excellight rim is 455g and the Mavic Open Pro is 430g (the Archetype is 480g) so in theory, an equivalent set of wheels would be 50g and 110g lighter, so still around 1650g compared to the C24s at 1395g (oh and they are being run tubeless so you can knock off another 200g for the lack of tubes).

But apples and bananas comparrison; you can make any handbuilt wheel very light but only light riders are going to be able to ride it and it will flex.

The C24s, anyone can ride and will out perform the handbuilts every day of the week.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stans alphas, 32 dt comps, 105 rear, so os front, 1600gm iirc?

Easy to get below 1500 also.

Tubeless tyres are usually 100gm heavier.

So…factually incorrect/utter guff.

nerd
    Free Member

Latex tubes weigh 75g each. Latex sealant weighs 50g a wheel so you can only knock off 50g for the lack of tubes. Tubeless tyres are usually heavier than clinchers as well.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So…factually incorrect/utter guff.

Whatever. It’s the difference between being technically right and a rude prick at the same time.

The C24 is still a darn site better wheel.

njee20
    Free Member

As it should be, it’s vastly more expensive.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes, but he can get a set for £290 with tyres hence them being a better choice no?

Nick you’ll have a valid opinion on this and can be trusted not to be rude. What do you think?

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s just a rim, hub and a bunch of spokes, whether it’s a hand built or a factory wheelset (at that price point anyway.)

It does seem a bit of an unfair comparison. You could get an great pair of handbuilts for the price of a set of new C24s that would be better (and twice the price) than the ones listed. Second hand is always going to be better if in good condition and a good price.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s only unfair if they aren’t available but since they are it’s a reasonable question to ask which would be better.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Given the price (which I’d not picked up) the C24s are lighter and better value…although if commuting is involved I would want something more rebuildable.

I was right about the weight though! 😛 is “utter guff” that offensiive? Worse than “rude prick”?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Argumentative buggers aren’t you? 😆
    Might I suggest that Open Pros’, whilst being a fine rim, are rather narrow by modern standards.
    nothing major but modern trends, backed by facts and use, point towards wider rims to open up the tyres. I would be going as wide as the bike would let me go. I have moved from Open Pros to a Pacenti rim that’s 19mm inside. the same 25mm tyres ride so much nicer.
    Just a thought.

njee20
    Free Member

Nick you’ll have a valid opinion on this and can be trusted not to be rude. What do you think?

Aaagh the pressure 😉

In this instance I can’t argue that the C24 is the best option, as it’s a bargain. More generally I think handbuilt is generally a better value proposition than factory wheels – you can build exactly what you want after all. Not to mention cost and availability of spares etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wide rims, as I keep saying = latest fad, **** all relevanve to road bikes.

ds3000
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, I’m swaying towards the c24s, especially with the included tyres.

A left field choice would be 38mm, wide Chinese carbons, but that’s another conversation, isn’t it?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Interesting comparison for me as I am looking at some Kinesis Crosslight Disc wheels that come in at 1,550g a pair. I thought they would weigh more than a proper roadie set, obviously not!

njee20
    Free Member

A left field choice would be 38mm, wide Chinese carbons, but that’s another conversation, isn’t it?

That is where my money would go, but they’re a chunk more expensive. FarSports do some at c1300g, but they’re more like £400.

geetee1972
    Free Member

That is where my money would go, but they’re a chunk more expensive.

Mine also. I didn’t add the caveat on handbuilts ‘unless you’re building on a good carbon rim’ but it stands whether they are Chinese or (as we have aleady debated) highly/overpriced (depending on your view) Enve! 😀

Cynical – FWIW, apologies for calling you a rude prick. I still think you were being rude but I am easily offended 😉

TiRed

For your riding, I’d take the Dura Ace wheels. Light, robust and well-made. Ultremo tyres are nice – does the colour match your CAAD10?

There are plenty of good, light handbuilt choices. And I have a nicer version of the OP’s wheels. But mavic and shimano won’t be as light as Dura Ace factory wheels. They may, however, be a nicer ride. It is not just weight that matters.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No worries fella.

nemesis
    Free Member

No fight? Disappointing. Big hitters these days aren’t what they used to be. Back in the good ole’ days of TJ et al, there’d have been a flame war, threats of violence, reports to mods (and counter reports and denials), bannings and tears before bedtime.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m reporting you to the mods for trying to incite big-hitter based violence.

nemesis
    Free Member

😳

mrblobby
    Free Member

That’s where my money would (and probably will soon) go too.

So now that we have achieved the holy grail of big hitter quorum, will the OP adhere to forum guidance and get the C24s…?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Road wheel conundrum’ is closed to new replies.