• This topic has 47 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Road Shoes
  • Haze

Budget around £150, so far narrowed it down to:

Sidi Genius 5, I have Dominator’s for off road and assume these are sort of the road equivalent? Anyway, very happy with them so possibly a known quantity.

Fizik R3 Uomo has good reviews, the new R3B also looks promising but not sure they’re available yet. Plus probably looking at around £200?

Anything else worth considering?

stevious

Whichever specialized shoes fit on your budget will be worth a try.

whitestone
    Free Member

I got some Garnereau shoes at Evans which are fine. Think I paid £80 but can’t remember what they were reduced from nor the actual model.

Best advice with shoes is to try them on before buying, your feet won’t love you if you don’t 😆

Haze

Forgot about Spesh, thanks…

lunge

Sidi are always good quality, the Genius 5 is not a top level model but it’ll do a good job non-the-less. You’ll need to shell out £200+ to get into the higher echelons of the Sidi range unless you can find some of last years cheap.
    Fizik shoes are, in my experience, awesome shoes but their fit is very odd, very high arches and quite a long, thin fit. They may fit you but it is worth trying them on before shelling out.
    Personally, I too like Specialized shoes, the Expert or Pro model are roughly at your price point, both very nice shoes indeed.

Haze

I read that about the Fiziks, apparently they lowered the arches on later versions?

lunge

I read that about the Fiziks, apparently they lowered the arches on later versions?

Not sure. I tried what I think were 2013’s on and they were very odd. They looked lovely and the build quality was spot on but the fit was very, very strange.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had Spesh road shoes for years and they’ve just felt right. Got some new Pro Road ones last week and I really don’t like them. Feel narrower than old Spesh shoes and the one ratchet is quite fiddly (don’t really like any sort of ratchet or boa thing, don’t know what’s wrong with velcro.) Don’t like the look much either. Think they are going back.

I want to try the Giro Prolight or the Empire. May ask the LBS to get some in.

Alternatively the Rapha GT shoes in the sale, down from 300 quid to 150, if they have them in your size (black ones available too.)

neilm
    Free Member

It would seem my feet are “very very strange”, as I have two pairs of Fizik’s 1 pr 2012 and another from 2013 when they were silly cheap. The 2012 shoes fit a tiny bit better, but both are comfy and spot on my trainer size (8 / 42).

lunge

It would seem my feet are “very very strange”

My apologies neilm, no offence to your feet meant, it may well be mine that are odd!

Haze

GT’s looked a good shout, like the styling too but nothing left in my size.

Hadn’t considered Giro either…

cchris2lou

Mavic Zxellium, best shoes I have owned so far. Used to wear Sidi all the time but much prefer the Mavic now.

Good prices on some scott models at Start cycle.

chakaping
    Free Member

Very pleased with these…
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/review-shimano-r170-road-shoes-13-47416/

They come in normal and wide fittings too.

scaredypants

I have some of these, except ones with ratchets instead of straps – supposedly 200 quid but quite often seem to come up at 100 or less brand new (can’t remember where I got mine)

I like ’em, and they got decent reviews when I looked but can’t honestly claim a massive wealth of experience with other brands

nickc

Sidi

I’ve 5 for road and dominators for off road. when/if they ever wear out, I’ll buy them again

Lucas
    Free Member

I have some of the Shimanos that Chapaking linked too, mine are the wide fitting. I got them for about £100 in a sale a couple of years ago and they have been great; fit well, no pressure spots and comfy for rides of 1 hour to 8 hours. First road shoes I’ve had mind

slowjo
    Free Member

+1 for the Shimano shoes. It is rare for a single brand to work for me (i.e. road and mtb) but I find Shimano shoes just suit me down to the ground. Love ’em.

I have 3 pairs of Shimano mtb shoes on the go atm and one pair of the R170 for the road.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shimano shoes, always seem high on tech but not so much on the styling. Wouldn’t mind trying one of their heat mouldable ones though.

dragon
    Free Member

Another Shimano fan here, got those road shoes linked to above. Bought them to replace some similar level older Shimano road shoes that were a bit tatty and both are ace. Comfy, stiff, secure and last well IME.

frogstomp

Bont Vaypor can now be got for around your budget..?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have some spesh ones which are fairly old now but the ratchet has always bedn horrible to undo.

TiRed

Spiuk R16. Carbon, boa-like fastening, well made. Come up a little small. I imported mine from Italy. Look more expensive than they cost. Narrow.

clubby

Loving my Giro’s. Can’t remember model but they were about £100. Next ones are £150 and have carbon sole.

4ags4
    Free Member

Have used many brands of shoe over the years however, for the last couple i’ve been using a set of Giro shoes both on and off road (Factor and Code). TBH I don’t think i’d use anything else now as they’ve been excellent.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Giro/Empire-Road-Shoe-2014/26WZ?gclid=CLuMoILipcMCFdQZtAodYHMA3w

Last years Giro Empire’s from Sigma, lovely!! (They’ve apparently Got stock of some sizes, never ordered from ’em though)

Haze

Spiuk are a contender, Factors also (but over budget?)

Will be a birthday present so I may be able to subsidise the budget a little.

Cheers, lots of good suggestions anyway…

onandon
    Free Member

Just picked up a pair of fizik r3 – the new version.
    They are soooo comfy and a much better fit than my Mavic xelium ( or whatever they’re called )

Haze

The ‘B’ versions? Where from?

turbo1397
    Free Member

I’m selling a pair of new R1’s at your budget if your going down that road..UK 9.5. .

Haze

Cheers turbo, size 8 though.

onandon
    Free Member

I actually picked mine up on eBay from a shop in Germany. Red kangaroo leather 🙂 uber pimp

TiRed

If you can wear Fizik, the Spiuk’s may be too narrow. I bought some R1’s in the sale and my (D width) narrow feet never fitted them. Teen1 wears them now.

The Spiuks are narrow and fit widthways well, they mold to your feet. Go a size up from Shimano and Specialized. I should’ve gone for a 45 not 44 as one foot is a little tight at the end – the other is however perfect. I’m a 44 in Shimano and Specialized – but both are too wide for my feet, really.

They look like cost a lot more than they do. RED of course 😈

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re gonna get Sidi, get Genius 6.6/Ergo/Wire – these are the top end models. Worth looking about for a good deal. If they fit you’ they are worth it. I love em. They are really good quality aswell.

All other top end shoes are good. Mavics have poor cleat hole placement. You may aswell get the Shimano R170s for under £100 though. Nothing will come close at that price, or for £50 more. Just make sure they fit you.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, DMT Vega are good if you can find any.

Haze

I clocked those Vega’s on a Weight Weenies thread, another one on the list.

Can see this turning out a bit more than the £150 I first thought…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d say get the Shimanos and spend the extra £50 on some good insoles.

globalti
    Free Member

Definitely. Whatever shoes you get, buy some Specialized BG insoles. Be sure to try the three different colours in the shoes because they are very different; the most extreme insole is not to everybody’s taste. A well-fitting insole transforms a good stiff shoe.

Haze

Cheers, I’ve ordered some of the Fizik R3’s to check out the fit and high arch etc. They’re on a free return so can go back if I’m not happy.

Will check out insoles too…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depending on your arch height, specialized insoles probably arent worthit. Plus they’re very thick so take up alot of volume in your shoe. Might be ok for Fizik’s though, since they have alot of space in them. Esoles Efit are the insoles you want.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Any thoughts on Lake shoes out there?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Road Shoes’ is closed to new replies.