Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • Road riding, what am I doing wrong?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So would only being able to average 16 mph make you a “can” or “an also ran”?

crikey
    Free Member

The average wouldn’t mean anything, and that’s kind of the point I’m trying to make; it’s not a significant measurement, because if you are racing, you don’t spend time getting high average speeds, you train and race as well as you can.

mrmo
    Free Member

So would only being able to average 16 mph make you a “can” or “an also ran”?

and this is the question, the fittest rider isn’t necessarily the winner, it is about knowing when to use what ability you have and when not to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Road riding, what am I doing wrong?

forgetting to ride your mountainbike?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Maybe there’s something lost in type… so yes, you have the grit, the ego etc etc… how many miles does the average race cover and what’s the approx duration?

Yes you might need to sprint at points, push yourself beyond what you ever believed possible but does the pack slow to 13 mph to compensate for the 30 mph sprint?

Genuinely interested to know what it takes to be a racer…

druidh
    Free Member

mrmo – Member
    the fittest rider isn’t necessarily the winner, it is about knowing when to use what ability you have and when not to.

Correct – but when I turned this on its head to suggest that the road racers weren’t necessarily the fastest riders around I got widely criticised.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not compare average speeds of Sportives and Road races?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not sure if that’s a good indiactor or not Al, but… the couple I just looked at suggested an average speed over 2 hours of about 25mph.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes you might need to sprint at points, push yourself beyond what you ever believed possible but does the pack slow to 13 mph to compensate for the 30 mph sprint?

No. My local races slow to 21’ish and rise to 32’ish. The average pans out to about 25/26.

I still think a good benchmark test is to ride a 25 mile TT, a proper one not one using your own rules and timing. Under the hour is ‘good’ in my book.

Correct – but when I turned this on its head to suggest that the road racers weren’t necessarily the fastest riders around I got widely criticised.

On the road they generally are.

crikey
    Free Member

Genuinely interested to know what it takes to be a racer..

It’s about knowing about how to use your ability.

In some ways, and without meaning to sound derogatory, time trialing and by extension the bike leg in triathlon are like road racing with the tactics and intelligence taken out.

It’s not just about power, or outright speed, or physical ability, it’s about brains, about tactical sense, about being intelligent as well as fit.

It’s about learning that if I take this corner in a certain way I will maintain or improve my position in the bunch. It’s about knowing which wheel to follow, about which break to go with, about how much work to do in said break, about which guys to chase down, about riding in a team rather than as an individual, about …and it’s a cliche…. chess on wheels.

It teaches you that physical fitness is only part of the story, and that intelligence and tactical awareness is a major part of racing.

druidh
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Not sure if that’s a good indiactor or not Al, but… the couple I just looked at suggested an average speed over 2 hours of about 25mph.

Aren’t road races typically shorter than sportives? That being the case, the comparisons are even more difficult.

mrmo
    Free Member

Thing is, road racers do tend to be the fastest riders around, basically it is an arms race. You need to be fitter and stronger to beat the opposition, which means they get fitter and faster to catch up.

Use Strava if you need a guide, there are plenty of races on it, both pro and amateur.

druidh
    Free Member

I reckon crikey has it with his last post.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s slow for a road race IME.

You can’t compare the 2, but one group have given up a lot and invested much time and effort in aiming to be the best road racers, and the other lot are riding a “challenge” event.

Guess who I suspect may be faster?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So it teaches you to wheel suck the fastest guy and break at the last minute 😉

There’s no voodoo then crikey, much as I thought… and there’s nothing that not racing can teach you about racing. I’ll have to MTFU and see what I can do.

BadlyWiredDog

Guess who I suspect may be faster?

People sitting furiously hammering their keyboards on STW?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Colin if you think you can do well at road racing without the fitness you are dreaming.

There are many 80 mile road races for you to compare with.

Why don’t you enter a road race then report back?

oldgit
    Free Member

Should be racing Tuesday if my man-flu clears up…..which is nice.

emanuel
    Free Member

The only thing you’re doing wrong is to adapt yourself to the gearing,not the gearing to you.
    Have a long hard look at sheldon’s gear calculator.speed,cadence.really poke around.
    I’d suggest a 44-5t ring,110 bolt circle dia is the bmx race diameter,they occasionaly come up cheap on crc.if not specialites ta have them all.
    Get a good cadence.90-110.the speed will come later.though it takes a few years.
    I run 33-46 with a junior cassette(14-25).It’s fine for me.My average is 27kmh,85km rides,1300m of climbing.that’s 3 nice hard climbs and one decent one.I do 35-6 on the flat on the way up(faux plat) and do 48 if I can get a bit of a slipstream.have done 63 on the 46-14.on the flat,behind a bus.
    besides.my chain lasts longer and is nice and straight as I’m usually on the 46:16-7.
    I’m tempted to put a 44 on for spring as it’s so damned windy.and I ride alone.
    Point is,to go faster pedal faster,not harder.
    change your gears to suit you.if a 42 works,then fine.a straight block cassette def helps.
    miche make cassettes starting with 14-15 and 16-
    like they were when freewheels were around and you needed a 52 to have a 100gear inches.

even a 50 is too much.adapt the gearing to you.then change it as you get stronger.
    take care.and fit some tiny bar end mirrors.

crikey
    Free Member

I was a good mountain bike racer, but I got hammered on the road for 2-3-4 years until I learned how to race. I got hammered by people who I left for dead every time we trained because I didn’t know how to race.

When I got my head around racing in the UK, we went to race in Belgium and the Netherlands.

I got hammered all over again; spinning out 53-12 on the flat and going out of the back of the bunch…

It took me 6 years of racing here and abroad to be anything like a decent road racer, and I was never really any good; I was a decent 3rd cat who could hang on in 1st 2nd and 3rds races, and could cope with racing in Belgium.

It’s far more complex than power to weight ratio.

mboy
    Free Member

If your having trouble turning big gears to get speed you need more strength. I am not saying ride everywhere at one rpm, but sometimes it makes sense to slightly overload the muscles to build a little power, other times spin, in time you find you can spin bigger gears.

Ah, OK, I see what you’re saying now.

Why are you so concerned about how you compare to other people? Do you enjoy road riding? Would you enjoy it more if you were faster on Strava or whatever it’s called? If you don’t enjoy it, why are you doing it?

Are you racing?

If it’s any consolation, I have absolutely no idea what my average speed on the road is. I’m probably much slower than most of the folk posting above, but it doesn’t really bother me. I’d just leave the Strava warriors to it and enjoy the ride.

Anyway, that’s just my take.

Fair point, well made.

I enjoyed my ride, and will continue to do so. If or when it is no longer enjoyable, I’ll either change it, or do something else altogether. I’m not so concerned as such, just 16mph doesn’t sound that fast, and I’ve got mates that ride road too that are always saying that we should go for a road ride at some point, but I know they’d kill me and it would be boring for them. Mountain Biking is much less of an issue, I’m better at that.

Me… road racing? Not at the minute… should it matter?

I’m after a sub 5 hour 100 miles though.

This is kinda what I was angling at, though I don’t have much intention of going and entering a 100 miler any time soon, but I guy I was riding with last year for a bit (I am no quicker or slower now) could barely keep up, even over 15 miles, and by 40 miles we were practically towing him. I bumped into him the other day, and over Easter he completed 2 100 mile Sportif’s, came in just over 5hr barrier on both of them!!! He admitted they were quite flat courses, but in 6 months he’s gone from not being able to ride for 40 miles at about 14mph average in a group, to going out and doing 100 milers at just shy of 20mph average on his own! 😕

I still think a good benchmark test is to ride a 25 mile TT, a proper one not one using your own rules and timing. Under the hour is ‘good’ in my book.

I should bloody hope under 1hr is good, the Grenoble TT in the 2011 tdf, the last but one stage, was 42km (roughly 26 miles), and was won in 55:33… Only about 50 or so, of the world’s best athletes came in under the hour mark!!!

I reckon crikey has it with his last post.

I’d totally agree with that. Not that I’m quick or anything, but just check out the 2011 tdf classifications… The most highly decorated man, the one with the page 3 girlfriend, the one with the big pay cheque, the one who won BBC Sports personality of the year, didn’t finish first overall, he didn’t finish in top ten, he didn’t even finish in the top 100! He came 130th in the overall classification, 3hr15mins behind Cuddles!

But by god if he manages to be there within sniffing distance on a stage not too testing for him, he is the embodiment of knowing when and where to use your talents to be most effective.

Anyway, once again guys cheers for making me feel slightly less slow than I thought I was, will try the same route again a few times over coming weeks, see if I improve or not. I reckon if I pushed myself a bit harder here and there, knowing it’s only a shortish distance, I’ve got another 1mph in me overall probably.

mboy
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you’re spending too much time in the 34T. I live in a not particularly hilly part of Hampshire and spend very little time in the lower chainring. Try upping your cadence to 90-95 and staying in the 50T as much as you can. If your cadence starts to drop too much in the 50T then try to grind it out for bit if it’s a short hill, if it’s longer get into the upper range on your 34T and try to stay as high as possible.

Spend almost all my time in the 50T, just at the upper end of the cassette. Only ever really drop to the 34T if it starts pointing uphill. But I’m spending all my time in 50/21 predominantly, and 50/23 quite a bit, occasionally straying to 50/19 if its a bit smoother tarmac.

Are you talking “real world” cadence, or “made up on the internet, I think I pedal a lot faster than I really do bollox” cadence? Cos if the former, then **** ME… If I could maintain 90/95rpm AND the gearing half the guys on here say I should be pushing, I’d be knocking on the door of a pro ride! 😕 FWIW, I never really had much of a clue about cadence until a year or so ago, I’d always assumed I pedalled everywhere between about 90 and 100rpm, as compared to everyone I ride MTB’s with I’m much more of a spinner. Nope, seems about 80rpm is more my natural sort of pace, though I do push it a little bit now and it is slowly creeping up.

Oh, and without wanting to sound like a ponce, go to the gym and do some squats and lunges to get your leg strength up.

I do go to the gym, and will work on my legs a bit more possibly, but though my top half is nothing to write home about, my leg strength is a lot higher than most people my size roughly. I know that means nothing really, cos if I wanna ride quicker, I might need to develop legs to make Chris Hoy feel shy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I should bloody hope under 1hr is good, the Grenoble TT in the 2011 tdf, the last but one stage, was 42km (roughly 26 miles), and was won in 55:33… Only about 50 or so, of the world’s best athletes came in under the hour mark!!!

Something up there, as a crap 4th cat who hated testing, I’ve done a 1:02.

But I do think 16mph over 50m is pretty good.

Surfr
    Free Member

You can safely ignore average speed. 

25 miles in under an hour as discussed above http://app.strava.com/rides/5696485#108609160

230 miles at 19.6 MPH http://app.strava.com/rides/3331484

Normal road hilly commute at 16 MPH http://app.strava.com/rides/7296360

I’m a crap roadie. I’m too fat and I’ m off the back when climbing on club runs. I managed to scrape 4 BC points in a 4th cat crit last year but there were only about 10 in the race! however, I’m an average time trialler. I finish top 10 in club events and top half of open events generally. 

Ignore the averages, get out and ride with friends. Join the local club time trials for a laugh and measure your performance from there. Chain gangs are ace for developing speed and skills. Club runs are great for getting the miles and cake in. It’s all good. Stop worrying and start enjoying 🙂

wwaswas

I’d find some ‘local loops’ on Strava and see how the average speeds other riders have done compare with yours.

I never got above 16mph average on my road bike. I was happy with that speed and it always felt like I’d put some effort in.

Not read all of the above but if you enjoy your rides and have no desire to compete then why not just continue to enjoy it and not worry about the numbers?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Want to go faster? Its you not the bike. By the sound of it your always going at the same pace effort. You need to increase cadence and effort over short periods to improve.

INTERVALS at 90-100% MHR:
    1 to 2 minutes. Recovery 1 to 5 minutes. Repeat from 3 up to 10 times. Depending on fitness and period. High cadence 100 – 105 rpm.

INTERVALS at 90 – 95% MHR:
    3 to 5 minutes. Recovery 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat from 3 up to 10 times. Depending on fitness and period. Heavy gear, up hill at cadence of 80 to 90 rpm.

Note the effort and cadence required

If you want to go faster then train harder and measure what your doing HRM, power meter etc. I find turbo is the best for this sort of training. You can go hard and not worry about the road. Join a road club. 180 miles couple weekends ago club run average 18 mph. Lots of fast sections and hills in Wales.

oldgit
    Free Member

I managed to scrape 4 BC points in a 4th cat crit last year but there were only about 10 in the race! however, I’m an average time trialler. I finish top 10 in club events and top half of open events generally.

Like the sound of that race, points for everyone 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Am I alone in enjoying the numbers side of road riding then?

I was trying to find an interview with one of the TdF riders who quite clearly stated that they train for at least 75miles a day at at least 18mph… I couldn’t so you’ll just have to believe me.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m fairly static between 15 and 17mph depending on route, hilly-ness, weather etc. Strava helps a lot with me understanding whether I’m getting fitter, faster, stronger and as I road ride alone, it’s the best way to judge.

There’s a local bloke who rides a lot of the same routes as me who I’ve given up on using as a benchmark. He rode 142km at the weekend, 1400m of climbing (about the average climbing per km for the area) and his average was 33kmph (25mph). Solo. Totally different class of rider to me but I’ll work on getting a little closer to him even though beating him will take more time/effort than I want to spend (assuming he doesn’t just get quicker too).

oldgit
    Free Member

I only loosely know one current pro rider, he rides with these blokes.
    proteam.competitivecyclist.com

He told me whilst out riding that they do about that, though probably more miles. And shorter distances at 24 plus.
    It all sounds within reach doesn’t it. And guys on here have stated that they in fact ride faster.
    Then how come he has held a whole string of National and then World Masters titles. Has beaten lance over the line and took the opening stage of the 2012 Rutas. And we haven’t?

oldgit
    Free Member

Staggering time there atlaz. Not doubting your man there as it’s doable.
    But we’ve exposed a cheat down here, lets put it this way his bike was suitable for delivering pizzas 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

33km/h = 25mph?

Quick, someone tell the Authorities they have it wrong!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

He told me whilst out riding that they do about that, though probably more miles.

Is that in relation to my previous post…. if so I did write “at least 75 miles”… it was Cavendish but I’m damned if I can find it.

😆 – I missed that Al… I need to change my conversion similarly so that I’m riding faster in imperial measures.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nope. I love the averages, it’s what pushes me.

Surfr
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying the numbers. Just ensure that you are comparing something useful, like your own times over the same course with other peoples on the same course in the same conditions. Strava goes some way to helping with this and I’m addicted to it now.

But comparing your training figures with someone elses on different days on different routes is pretty pointless.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is that in relation to my previous post.

Yes it was, just adds to the smoke and mirrors thingy doesn’t it.

I missed that Al… I need to change my conversion similarly so that I’m riding faster in imperial measures.

Or simply get something sticky stuck in your computer and you find you’re riding 4 mph faster than the bloke you’re riding next to.

Nope. I love the averages, it’s what pushes me.

Is that meant to be ironic?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I love it when it’s going well, but at the moment I don’t seem to be making any progress, which is really infuriating and demoralising as I’m really unfit so just doing anything at all should be having a huge effect!

atlaz
    Free Member

Err… yes… sorry… 20mph 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Had to stop reading this ‘cos it depresses me. I’ve got my first ever sportive at the weekend – 100 miles. My average speed means I’ll be going all night!! 3 weeks off riding with a chest infection has not helped my training 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

That’s about what a good 2nd cat or 1st cat rider will be doing.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Road riding, what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.