• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Road or CX
  • turkinator
    Free Member

I’ve decided to get a road bike to train on and as a second bike to my Orange 5.

I think I’d be better with a CX bike as it may be used to commute along the canal and I think I’ll be tempted to hop off a few curbs. I also like the idea of disc brakes as I don’t think I can cope with braking on wet/muddy rims.

Or should I just embrace the dark side and get a proper road bike albeit one that is set up for winter use.

As an Orange lover I’m tempted by a RX9 but an alternative would be a Genesis CDF. Budget is limted to £1K as the bike is being bought on cycle to work therefore choice is limited as per the link. http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/cyclocross/c575?psize=50&sPrice=540&ePrice=1111

Jamie
    Free Member
    antigee
    faustus

The Orange RX9 isn’t good value for money when you consider the compitetion from Whyte or Pinnacle for disc all-rounders. The Orange has a pretty low spec, the Whyte is good, as is the Saracen Hack or Pinnacle Arkose 3, CdF is good but a bit heavier.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The Orange RX9 isn’t good value for money when you consider the compitetion

+ 1

a mate got a CAADX Cannondale for about a grand. That’s tidy.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caadx-disc-5-105-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec053952#select

globalti
    Free Member

Genesis CDF is heavy. Terribly heavy. For value for money you can’t beat Planet X and Ribble.

Any road bike should be able to cope with a hopping kerbs and a bit of canal towpath (with appropriate tyres).

Have you considered a proper disc equipped tourer? Should be good for everything unless you want to ride really fast or go over really rough stuff.

Bregante

£1000.
    Carbon.
    Nice.

mrchrispy

If you are hitting the canals or going to be carrying some weight (panniers) then disks are the way to go.
    My ribble winter trainer takes a freaking age to stop on the wet….tried many different pads but they don’t come close to disks.

antigee

Bregante – Member
    £1000.
    Carbon.
    Nice.

not so sure on the colouring in – I failed the test what is it?

jamiep
    Free Member

Planet-X XLS. Also comes in black

antigee

Also comes in black

thank goodness

cheers

Bregante

Is that better antigee? 🙂

I actually like the Flanders colors!

antigee

thanks bregante that is recognisably better

I thought it was some sort of teutonic invader

tubthumped
    Free Member

Cube CX disc would be my shout.
    Bought as a road going bike to help cover extra miles and to do a couple of duathlons on.
    Didn’t want just a roadie as I knew I’d get a little bored and want to go somewhere I shouldn’t. The cube works perfectly well both on the smooth and on the rough. Even take it to trail centres and Chuck it down the black runs every so often for a laugh.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I really really and I mean really love my.Giant tcx SLR 2. It’s stopped me riding my carbon road bike.

atlaz
    Free Member

Those are Belgian colours. If it was a Flanders derived colour scheme it’d have no red (or almost none).

Bregante

Arsed. Tell Planet x not me 🙂

51cm, 54cm, 57cm, 59cm (Frame size guide)
    colours Black, Flanders
    frame type Rigid

nemesis
    Free Member

There’s enough red here to justify it as Flanders IMO 🙂

plus-one

Pinnacle akrose 2 looks good(if you like loud) down from £900 to £750

Hydraulic discs and 1×10( bar end shifter) cuts out cable faff 🙂

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-two-2014-cyclocross-bike-ec054865

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have just got myself a pinnacle arkose 3, down from 1k to £900 … very impressed so far … Would of preferred a brighter colour as arkose 2 above but hey ho !

turkinator
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestion but choice is limited as it cycle to work so I’m restricted to the following bikes if I want a CX with discs.

The choices are:
    [list]Giant AnyRoad 2
    Cannondale CaadX 105 Disc
    Cannondale CaadX Tiagra Disc
    Genesis CdF
    Roux Conquest 3500
    Eastway CX 2.0 (2013)
    Merida Cyclo Cross 3
    Merida Cyclo Cross 4
    Kona Jake
    Giant Revolt 1
    Giant Revolt 2
    Orange RX9
    Saracen Hack 2
    Charge Plug 3
    Charge Plug 4
    Specialized Tricross Sport Disc
    [/list]

Conqueror
    Free Member

Norco Threshold from evans looks decent too

turkinator
    Free Member

Sorry but I don’t understand the comments about the Orange spec being low.

On the Orange the headset, bars, seat post, and saddle are branded on many other bikes they are the manufacturers. Its all to easy to look at the rear mech and judge a bike by it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well I’d rather have an OEM stem/bars/post and a better groupset personally. For a grand I’d want full 105 not tiagra with a 105 mech

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Road or CX’ is closed to new replies.