• This topic has 51 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cupra.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Road bikes. Mudguards. Fu*$*%%*$"($!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Spin
    Free Member

Why doesn’t everything that isn’t a bike for proper racing come with a bit of extra clearance for mudguards? I mean a few mm can’t hurt anyone can it?

I’m lucky still to be married after my tourettes style outburst whilst trying to fit fenders to the good lady’s bike tonight.

scotroutes

Why did she buy something so inappropriate to her needs?

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP you are quite right, it’s utter BS.

jameso

Strong agreement.

Spin
    Free Member

Why did she buy something so inappropriate to her needs?

‘king smart arse. 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I gave up a on trying to fit mine to my winter bike a few weeks ago and threw it in the garden.
    it’s still there now.

scotroutes

‘king smart arse. [/quote]I’m just surprised it’s not you copping the blame 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

I’m glad I’m not alone. I feel your pain.

zippykona

Just for a laugh fit a crud guard/ catcher.

everyone
    Free Member

SKS raceblade longs. Went on in about 30mins, can’t remember if I even swore at them!

mboy
    Free Member

Why doesn’t everything that isn’t a bike for proper racing come with a bit of extra clearance for mudguards?

The problem you’ve got, is that whilst 99.9% of us would be best off on a bike with clearance for 25’s or even 28’s with full guards (even if they’re not fitted all year round) most of the time, everyone wants to look like a pro! Hence they buy bikes that are far racier than they need, and only have short drop calipers and very minimal clearances…

Just got myself a Whyte Dorset for winter duties, just put the guards on it tonight. 28c tyres, disc brakes, full guards, the lot… It’s proper comfy too. OK, it’s more than 3kg heavier than my Carbon bike once the guards are fitted, but it’s far more appropriate for nearly all of my riding!

BUT… And it’s a big one… My Carbon Road bike looks WAY cooler, and that’s often what matters more! 😛

cookeaa

Fitted some crud road racers to my inappropriate road bike last weekend.

The various negative online reviews had me thinking it was a surefire waste of time but they were going cheap on wiggle so I gave it a whirl. Piece of piss to fit and in use (only 50 odd miles so far) they’ve done the job pretty well.

There must be some properly hamfisted plums trying to fit these things…

scotroutes

The biggest problem with folk fitting Road Racers seems to that they pull the wee zip-tie over the caliper bolt too tightly. The instructions specifically say it’s meant to be a loose fit so the guard will “float”. Do it up too tightly and the guard warps and then rubs the tyre.

wilburt
    Free Member

My winter bike has original raceblades which work perfectly for me and can be fitted or removed in seconds.

My good bike doesn’t need clearance because it doesn’t get used in wet conditions and looks better without them.

The OP bought the wrong bike that’s all.

eskay

cookeaa – Member

Fitted some crud road racers to my inappropriate road bike last weekend.

The various negative online reviews had me thinking it was a surefire waste of time but they were going cheap on wiggle so I gave it a whirl. Piece of piss to fit and in use (only 50 odd miles so far) they’ve done the job pretty well.

There must be some properly hamfisted plums trying to fit these things…

I was looking at these yesterday, some of the reviews says that they are flimsy and break easily. What is your opinion on how robust they are?

TiRed

Even low clearance can take guards if careful. Although SKS P35s are the standard, their box profile isn’t ideal to fit under a rounded fork crown. Blumels are better for this.

If there really isn’t room, the Raceblade Longs are your friend. Five minutes to fit, leave the brackets on and swap between bikes.

If you have aero V brakes like my propel, then it’s Carbon micro fender or ass-saver or nothing.

EDIT: cruds are flimsy and break easily. Mine did after about three rides. Spares are available, but try snapping a spar from an SKS mudguard 😉

globalti
    Free Member

The Crud Road Racers are a great product and very well designed. If you fit them, take care to wrap the ends of the stays and forks with some vinyl tape because those blocks that are banded on will fret and erode the paint.

I was glad I’d fitted them for the London 100 that was shortened to 86 miles thanks to the American hurricane; I actually finished with a dryish bum despite the biblical rain. Reviewing the photos I see that quite a few other riders were grateful for them as they sat quietly on my wheel enjoying my hard work.

stanfree
    Free Member

Same as the Op , I wanted to eek out another 1000 miles on my well used 25mm Gp4000’s but trying to fit the Crud catcher there was no way the clearance was enough. I ended up put on my old 23mm tyres from last winter. (Durano and a Pro 4). I did see some cheap mudguards in Halfords that looked like they may well take a larger tyre though.

hooli

I have fitted the crud ones on my road bike as well as 2 others as people said it couldn’t be done. I don’t think its too bad?

strike
    Free Member

SKS Raceblades – you can not believe how simple they are to fit/tweak and they just work!

I was dreading fitting them…..but 30minutes later and then a bit of tweaking after a few rides and they are fantastic.

stumpy01

I didn’t really consider this aspect of buying a road bike. I have to say, I assumed that most/all road bikes would take some kind of mudguard.

But, the clearance around the rear tyre on my road bike is stupid. And that’s with 23s on it. I keep meaning to try 25s, but my LBS reckons they will rub the seat tube, so I haven’t bothered.

I got some Topeak Defenders and while they worked OK after quite a bit of initial fiddling, the last time I put them back on they were rubbing all over the place although started out OK.
    They are supposed to be easy to fit and remove which I suppose they are in a literal sense, but not in a practical sense.

simon_g

Crud Road Racers were still annoyingly noisy even on 23mm tyres. On a 2 hour ride I’d get to enjoy a few minutes at a time without hearing anything rubbing. That was after lots of faffing about adjusting them too. Followed instructions and video to the letter, loose zip ties, even cut out a chunk by the front mech band to make it fit flush there.

The Zefal Croozer/Swan combo (under £9 at wiggle) is on there now. May be marginally less effective and look fugly but I get to ride in blissful silence and they fit/remove in seconds.

eddie11
    Free Member

Cruds are great. I can’t see how you can break them. It’s bendy plastic, zip ties and rubber bands.

boblo
    Free Member

Fenders? (sigh)…

eskay

stumpy01 – Member

I didn’t really consider this aspect of buying a road bike. I have to say, I assumed that most/all road bikes would take some kind of mudguard.

Traditionally a ‘racing bike’ had no provisions for mudguards, you looked towards a touring bike for winter riding. Touring bikes had more clearance, the correct braze-ons and a longer wheelbase to prevent overlap (amongst other things).

ads678

Crud road racers here too. doddle to fit if you take care and mine haven’t broke yet, seem pretty well designed to me.

benji
    Free Member

Bought a Kona Paddy Wagon, so I could have a simple to use road bike and clearance for mudguards. One gear, nice and easy is that to keep clean.

edhornby

I put cruds on my commuter track bike, they are fine – take your time building them and tension the zips a little bit at a time

sections of single layers of inner tube cut to size work better than electrical tape to protect the frame because it grips better

Northwind

I’ve got 35mm tyres and big proper mudguards in mine. Helps to go to a proper classy bike supplier- Halfords.

davedodd
    Free Member

Road bikes should never have any form of mudguard put on them as they all look crap. I’d rather get wet and cold than consider putting them on mine.

richardthird

Road bikes should never have any form of mudguard put on them as they all look crap. I’d rather get wet and cold than consider putting them on mine.

lol.

squin
    Free Member

SKS Raceblade Longs fit on a Cannondale Supersix – even with 25cc tyres…just! Dead easy to set up too.

brakes
    Free Member

I kind of agree with this, but if you ride in a group it’s a requirement as looking crap is preferable to being covered in crap.

hooli

You clearly have never seen me in lycra on an early morning ride, the ugly mudguards are the least of my worries 😳

legend
    Free Member

SKS Raceblade Longs have been discontinued! I’ve been trying to get a set of the 25c+ ones and can’t find em anywhere. LBS said they aren’t available to order

Crud Raceguards on the other hand……a guard so well designed that even on a turbo trainer they’ll suddenly start rubbing?! Or in a sidewind, or on rough ground… and don’t you dare touch the front one with your toes when trackstanding!!

cookeaa

I was looking at these yesterday, some of the reviews says that they are flimsy and break easily. What is your opinion on how robust they are?

Well I’ve only ridden with them a couple of times and not covered lots of miles yet, I’m pretty much sold already, obviously nothing is ever perfect…

Robust? Nah, they are as bendy as a bendy thing, but also very light (both due to being entirely made from polyprop) I clattered my way through a few pot holes and over rough surfaces and yeah they move, but then they bounce back to where they should be and they apparently use these little low drag brush strips to centre them up on the rim if they go out of line, TBH I can’t detect the contact or any drag when I’m moving, but I’m sure they are…

TBH I only got them over raceblade longs due to price and current general availability of the raeblade in 25c+ size, 30% cheaper and I could have them now.

Compared with the Steel stayed, more rigid guards on my commuter they are no more noisy in use and don’t seem any worse at keeping you and the rider behind dry, obviously not as rigid but then do they really need to be?

I actually think they look about as good as road bike guards can look TBH, quite minimal, close fitting to the wheels, but I’m not much of an aesthete…

Here’s mine after their first outing, still attached (Garden/Patio has been all but abandoned).

scotroutes

One thing to watch out for is trying to push the bike around on its back wheel (you know, when you flip the front wheel up in front of you). The bottom of the guard will catch on the ground and snap off.

TiRed

“SKS Raceblade Longs have been discontinued!”

Are you sure? Or have they sold out? I have a spare set in the garage (from a bulk buy earlier this year). I could be persuaded to part with them. Boxed and unopened.

cookeaa

I did read (might have been on here actually) that Raceblade Longs were being redesigned rather than discontinued, there still seem to be the narrower versions about for up to 23c tyres, but I’m running 25c (no stock anywhere AFAIK)…

It’s probably not the wisest move on SKS’ part to let the available stock for the extant version run out, without the replacement product being available, especially as winter rolls round… Sort of missing the peak period for selling one of their most popular products…

legend
    Free Member

I essentially heard what cookeaa said, either way it seems like the existing design is gone. My only guess would be that they’ve gone to try and shave some weight off?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes. Mudguards. Fu*$*%%*$"($!!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.