Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Rise of the Megathread
  • gordimhor

2 threads this week already over 500 posts, are the mods doomed to a future of never ending labour. Do they deserve a pay rise? 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

They should get a 200% pay rise IMO. Make it so.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It’s Moores’s law in action. Threads are becoming longer all the time.

Just wait for the second half of the Korean War or the death of Mrs Windsor…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Moores’ surely?

(Not that I care, just thought if we can attract some pedants early doors a 500+ thread is within reach)

camo16
    Free Member

I blame Hitler.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I blame me-me-me-molgrips for one of them. He posted about 50% of the posts on the overtaking thread, just completely took it over and didn’t let anyone else have a say. So discourteous.

scaredypants

just completely took it over

😡

camo16
    Free Member

Is a mega thread the same as a successful thread?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“He posted about 50% of the posts on the overtaking thread, just completely took it over”

I see what you did there 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is a mega thread the same as a successful thread?

No.

Tune association, Winters all inclusive rugby and the Ski & Snowboard threads are all successful. Mega threads are those that gradually descend in to petty name calling, semantic bickering and, ultimately, the final seal of mega-ness, the lockdown.

samuri
    Free Member

No they don’t.

camo16
    Free Member

Tune association, Winters all inclusive rugby and the Ski & Snowboard threads are all successful.

Haven’t dipped into any of the above, TBH, although I’m sure they’re awesome. 2182 posts on skiing and snowboarding is a feat in its own right. 😉

So, what’s your secret, CFH – what magic powder did you spray on the S&S thread to give it eternal life?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Winters all inclusive rugby

and

petty name calling

🙄

camo16
    Free Member

No they don’t.

Uh, excuse me Mr Negative McSchmegative, I think you’ll find they do. 😉

* Regrets petty name calling, which references that going on in the overtaking thread. Slaps wrist and promises to be good *

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, what’s your secret, CFH – what magic powder did you spray on the S&S thread to give it eternal life?

I can only lay claim to starting it! Beyond that, it’s the people that make a “successful” thread (and/or forum, IMHO). The S&S thread is all about having fun, and the banter and delight that goes with it. Lots of experience, knowledge, opinion and pictures/film, all shared in a non-catty, non-judgemental place. Well, unless you’er a telemarker, in which case you’re fair game for all the abuse we can muster! 😉

Also, it helps that it’s a non-contentious topic (apart from the perennial board v ski argument. Well, not really an argument, as skis are betterer. FACT!). The rugby thread manages to self-moderate pretty well, I think, when more touchy issues and silliness crop up.

piemonster

camo16 – Member
    I blame Thatcher

FTFY, same thing really. 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

It’s the redtops and childs-faces fault.

footflaps

I think avoiding politics and driving are two prerequisites for a successful thread…

camo16
    Free Member

Politics, driving, ski/snowboarding and Thatcher in a single picture:

Automatic mega thread fail then? 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is that chap looking for an overtake?

camo16
    Free Member

Is that chap looking for an overtake?

Only if there’s enough room… personally I think he’s worried that the lady’s not going to turn…

pete68
    Free Member

There’s a thread on another ( non cycling) forum I use which is currently up to page 1734, with over 86,000 posts and nearly 6,000,000 views. Can’t see any on here getting near that.

thegreatape
    Free Member

V good!

vickypea
    Free Member

Sometimes they get massive in a matter of hours, and then it feels a bit rude to chime in at the end without having read through the previous pages!

gordimhor

Pete68 that thread you are talking about would be a gigathread. Vickypea rudeness does not actually barr anyone from contributing to a megathread, some would say rudeness is a prerequisite for anyone who wishes to be a serious megathread poster. Meantime we should all be very careful because somewhere in the digital world there’s a Terrathread waiting…… 🙂

CountZero

Meantime we should all be very careful because somewhere in the digital world there’s a Terrathread waiting…

Because that’s when SkyNet finally goes live…

camo16
    Free Member

So

camo16
    Free Member

what’s the secret

camo16
    Free Member

to a mega

camo16
    Free Member

thread?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BigBadonkaDonks.com, apparently.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s cos of the demographic of STW innit?

Thatch = divisive for chaps of a certain age, and driving = social status, tribal hierarchy, penis size, macho-ness and general I’m bloody brilliant and you are not-ness for the modern slack bellied IT worker types.

andrewh
    Free Member

Is it just length or longevity too? The stupid headset question has been going for years (still not got a definitive answer)

gordimhor

It’s the rate of growth, a sort of posting frenzy.

pingu66
    Free Member

The Thatcher thread was/is almost a perfect storm.

Just grew mahoosive in a few hours.

footflaps

I really don’t get the Overtaking thread, I mean who really gives a sh*t about overtaking?

camo16
    Free Member

I really don’t get the Overtaking thread, I mean who really gives a sh*t about overtaking?

I’m guessing at Molgrips. 😉

Cougar

are the mods doomed to a future of never ending labour.

Bloody feels like it.

I picked the right week to be on a course during the day with limited access to emails, put it that way.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well when I heard of Thatchers fate I just waited, not that it took long, still not looked at that thread yet as I knew what would happen, & I could have a good guess at it’s contents without having to read umpteen pages of drivel 😉

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Rise of the Megathread’ is closed to new replies.