• This topic has 46 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • RIP Sir Patrick Moore
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Very sad news that he has passed away. Whay a great man.

Go rest amongst the stars.

deluded
    Free Member

“At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I’m not there I carry on as usual.”

– Patrick Moore.

A great character and scholar.

totalshell

Legend.. rest easy

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Sad day for us and the stars.

slimjim78
    Free Member

A life well lived!

Gamesmaster!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes, a true gentleman, scholar and eccentric. A total legend too
    🙁

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

He no longer plays the xylophone 🙁

PiknMix
    Free Member

Gutting!

grahamh
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZF4qyOPrcU[/video]

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The sky, at night, will never be the same – one extra star.
    RIP, you mad old giffer.

Cougar

Celebrated astronomer, geek, lunatic, glockenspielist, racist and homophobe. Three of those qualities were big influences on my life as a kid.

Shame. Peacefully at home aged 89 though, there’s worse ways to check out. RIP, sir.

kimbers

at 36 ive finally gotten into astronomy, even though ive been a fan of his for years

and watched the sky at night since i can remember

legend!

hora
    Free Member

He is with his sweetheart now

gab344
    Free Member

Great childhood hero of mine, sad news indeed.

CHB

Sad loss. The world needs more mad, intellectual, eccentric giffers like Patrick.

A life well lived sir!

Klunk
    Free Member

when does a cuddly old eccentric become a right wing nut job ?

“We must take care,” warned Moore. “There may be another war. The Germans will try again, given another chance. A Kraut is a Kraut is a Kraut. And the only good Kraut is a dead Kraut.

“There can be good, free, honourable, decent Germans,” he conceded. “I haven’t met them myself, but I’m sure they exist.”

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

🙁

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The world needs more mad, intellectual, eccentric giffers like Patrick.

A life well lived sir!

Well put. and +1

May he rest in space.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

He was typically human: flawed! Forgive him. He was a legend as an astronomer and presenter. I met him at a big press conference for Beagle 2 which he was a great supporter of. We were queuing to look into the clean rooms at the PAW when Patrick pottered passed us with pretty girl on each arm grinning his face off! He was a big man in stature and in life. I’m not sad because it was a long and full life. So long big Pat.

allthepies
    Free Member

What a life! Active until the end. Patrick we salute you.

ps44
    Free Member

Klunk – Member

when does a cuddly old eccentric become a right wing nut job ?

A long time ago and for good reason.

dribbling
    Free Member

Very sad of passing, but great what he did with his time here.

RIP

hora
    Free Member

Klunk **** off. He lost the love of his life to the Germans, served his country and never married.

Dont judge. What if it was you or me in our youth. Would you forgive?

A Nation who went to war (total war) twice. He’d seen the after affects of the first war. Then the lifelong effects on himself again in WWII where he served on the sharp end.

Dont judge. He probably thought they, the Germans would start another war again.

He has earnt the right to his sceptical view based on actual experience of a collective nation. A nation who at the time didnt turn on their murderous leadership. Speaks volumes and this obviously coloured his view on them as people.

dribbling
    Free Member

Oooh Hora, nicely said.

I went for the ignore route, however please let’s not this thread degrade.

hora
    Free Member

Agree. RIP

zbonty

RIP. A national treasure who achieved and gave so much. Respect.

kennyp
    Free Member

Very sad to hear this news, but what a great man and a great life. I was into astronomy when a wee boy, and reading his books and watching The Sky At Night was a real inspiration. One of the truly great men of his age. It’s made me want to go back and restart one of the hobbies of my youth. RIP.

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh and Hora, that was a perfect response. Very well put sir.

Bunnyhop

The BBC news said he met the first man to fly, the first man in space and the first man to land on the moon, that will never happen to anyone ever again.

I hope they play ‘Fly me to the moon’ at his funeral.

Great loss.

grahamh
    Free Member

Coincidence bunnyhop, I’ve just been watching the 700th sky at night on youtube, where that fact was also mentioned.

Cougar

Klunk **** off. He lost the love of his life to the Germans, served his country and never married.

He had a fair few things to say about those wops and nips too. And the gayers. The “adam and eve, not adam and steve” crack is attributed to Moore, IIRC.

on the whole I’m prepared to let it slide in his case; partly it’s a generation thing and partly, y’know, legend. Sad loss. But dubious politics.

scraprider
    Free Member

just seen it on the news RIP patrick .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Proper legend.

RIP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The BBC news said he met the first man to fly, the first man in space and the first man to land on the moon, that will never happen to anyone ever again.

Wow.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Very sad news indeed, but as has already been mentioned he had a very good ‘innings’.

He was one of those rare folk who was able to communicate his passion for astronomy to the masses. A true legend…

CheesybeanZ

an inspiration and legend to many many people .

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I’m actually quite sad about his passing, which is quite out of character for me.

His contribution and inspiration to astronomy will be remembered long after we’re all gone.

racefaceec90

have just heard the news (i have insomnia/bad sleeping patterns).what a shame.although i don’t watch it often,i always liked the sky at night.
    you could tell that astronomy was his passion,and he never sounded elitist/talked down to you.he just explained things in an easy to understand way.

r.i.p patrick moore 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

I like the fact that he is best known for astronomy and yet didn’t have a single qualification in the subject. He was self-taught.

I’ll forgive his patronage of UKIP on this occasion.

RIP Sir.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Wish I’d met him but I think I;d feel a bit erm, thick in his presence to be honest. Very inspiring, very enthusiastic, and very very British.
    The Sky is a little darker this evening without you Patrick.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘RIP Sir Patrick Moore’ is closed to new replies.