Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Saris Bones
  • rascal
    Free Member

Any good?

kimbers

best boot mounted rack ive ever used, takes 2 bikes easy

got mine off ebay

br
    Free Member

I’ve got my friends Saris on long-term lend and it works real well – stable and very adjustable. Plus keeps the bikes off the lights/numberplate (on my car anyway).

Can’t get in the boot though, and unable to lock it to the car.

zippykona

Has anyone used on a 2004 shape mondeo?

Wookster

The saris site has a fit guide, you put your car in its year etc and it tells you.

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve use one for the past 15 years, great rack, now upgraded to a Thule roof rack and have had a bad back ever since.

r17anm
    Free Member

I got one a couple of months back and im pretty happy with it. Its less hassle to use than my previous go outdoors one and the straps do a good job of securing the bike to the rack although they did chip the paint slightly prob cos i had em too tight i now put a bit of inner tube on the frame where the straps go. I got a saris bones 3 even though i only ever carry 2 bikes cos if you put one at the front and other at the back it keeps em a good distance apart so they dont bash together also some full suss frames wont go over the arms so check before you buy

aidanoggy
    Free Member

I’ve a Bones rs. expensive , but worth every single penny. on the boot in 30 seconds, can be locked to the car, and is totally rock solid.

Only problem with them is a full susser can be a pain if the shock/ frame is in the way, but you can get a bar which clips between the seatpost and headtube to over come this.

zippykona

rascal
    Free Member

Do you know if a Commencal Meta will fit ok?

zippykona

Where is this fit guide? Can’t find it.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve a Bones rs. expensive , but worth every single penny. on the boot in 30 seconds, can be locked to the car, and is totally rock solid.

I’ve got one of these for sale at the moment if anyone’s interested. It’s the only rack I’ve ever used where I didn’t feel stressed about having bikes on the back of the car on the motorway. Only reason I’m getting rid is I have a Berlingo now and the bikes go inside.

Was thinking of around £125?

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Do you know if a Commencal Meta will fit ok?

Should do. Two top tube straps will fit fine. Seattube strap should fit just above shock bracket

But not tried one so may be wrong, but you could definitely use the accessory bar.

Where is this fit guide? Can’t find it.

Its on the Saris.com homepage right in the middle. You need to be a bit careful as its an American guide. Paligap are the agents in this country so you could check with them, if your car isnt obvious

grum
    Free Member

I’ve fit a Pitch and my friend’s Meta on it without the extra bars/clips – it’s not ideal TBH as the bikes are not evenly balanced across the two arms, but I never actually had a problem or felt they were going to fall off.

zippykona

Anyone got a link ,all I get is Indian ladies clothing

grum
    Free Member
    matther01
    Free Member

My brother-in-law has one and pleased to say neither bike moves when on his saloon.

Not so sure about getting 3 bikes on there though. It was a struggle doing just the two and my paint work came off worse with all the faffing about with the strapping and another bike already on there.

If you get one, make sure you clean the spots where the feet sit on your car, as they really screw up the paint work if you don’t.

xcstu
    Free Member

Highly rate my Saris Bones 2!! prob best bike rack I’ve had and I’ve had a few!!

Wookster

Saris fit guide here it is mate.

rascal
    Free Member

If any of you need to use a lighting board, how many of you actually go to the bother of using one? 😉

BenjiM

Saris do an 8 foot long cable that locks to the towing eye and goes through the centre of the rack. They also do an adjustable bar for awkward shaped frames. I put heritage on the hooks to protect the paint on the car.

BenjiM

That should be helitape not heritage

rascal
    Free Member

Must admit, I wondered what ‘heritage’ was 😉

Don’t have a tow bar so can’t lock it to car.
    TBH if I had a tow bar I would be using a tow bar mounted rack anyway.

If it was a case of just buying the Bones rack that would be great,
    but I’ve got to get Kia to dick around with the electrics (for lighting board) and that’s bloody pricey too.

Total dilemma now – lots of people have given me pros/cons of various bike carrying methods and unsure of which one to go for. The only thing for sure is that bike will NOT be allowed in the car.

dknwhy

I’ve got the Saris 3 RS and it is a really good rack. I’ve used it on a 51 vectra and a 2008 Kia Carens. I think it fits to most hatches and saloons unless there is a spoiler in the way.
    The rack is extremely stable and locks to the car. Goes on and off within minutes. We’ve used ours for thousands of miles as we drive around Europe for our holidays every year.
    I’ve used it with a combination of road and mountain bikes including full suss. I bought the fake crossbar thing from halfords for my full suss bikes.
    Only criticism would be that the spacing between bikes could be wider as it is tight to get 3 bikes on and you have to take extra precautions to prevent rubbing. It’s the best rear mounted rack by far though and ridiculously stable even at 120mph on the autobahn!

sleigh62
    Free Member

Has anyone tried one with a full sus that has the front shock mounted under the top tube … something like a yeti 575 or a rocky element, 2010 stumpjumper etc?
    I atempted to fit my 575 on a mates saris 2 but there didn’t seem to be any way of getting the top tube to fit onto the rack … wouldn’t go through the gap between the linkage and the top tube.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I had one of these, utter rubbish…had to mod the fastners as they broke.

I sold the estate (volvo, plenty of room??) and got a VW T4 2.5TDi. Opened my eyes, faster commute (London to Chesterfield) 85/90 cruising, bikes x4 in the back in under 60secs. MUCH better/safer driving position, see problems in advance over car drivers roofs.

Why I deliberated for so long is beyond me – perhaps it was the ‘Van-Man’ thing?

Honestly, forget the car and buy a nice VW with a tailgate – it really is the way forward; most of my outdoor colleagues own a van and have been ripping the p1ss out of me for years….now I can see why. In fact, I’m waiting to upgrade to the T5 Sportline.

You will wonder what the hell you’ve been doing; suffering an ache in the back whilst leaning over car-seats, faffing and getting wet in the car park post ride.

Enjoy those cold fingers this winter 😛 😉
    That’ll be me getting changed in the dry 😛 😛 😉

br
    Free Member

You can move/swap the arms around plus the angles and widths so you can pretty much get any bike on most cars. +1 for the 3-bike rack as its easier for carrying 2.

BenjiM

Has anyone tried one with a full sus that has the front shock mounted under the top tube … something like a yeti 575 or a rocky element, 2010 stumpjumper etc?
    I atempted to fit my 575 on a mates saris 2 but there didn’t seem to be any way of getting the top tube to fit onto the rack … wouldn’t go through the gap between the linkage and the top tube.

You need one of these

rascal
    Free Member

Love Tubs

That’s a brill suggestion…if I had a spare @ £4k kicking about!
    I would love one but that won’t be happening any time soon.

You must have had a bad experience as every single person who’s had/used a Saris Bones has nothing but good things to say about them…

sleigh62
    Free Member

thanks benjiM

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Saris Bones’ is closed to new replies.