Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • RIP: Howard Marks
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Mr Nice and a hundred other aliases. Sadly gone.

enfht
    Free Member

RIP Howard.

superfli
    Free Member

Gutted 🙁 what got him? He wasn’t that old?

burko73

Bowel cancer…

twistedpencil

70 and cancer.
    Guardian link

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Saw him speak in Aberdeen years ago,he was brilliant. To this day, don’t know if was staged, but halfway through there was a power cut and the lights went off for a minute or so. When they came on he’s still in exactly the same place, and just says “did that happen to you as well?”. Top guy.

dannybgoode

Sad news. Proper geezer. Would have loved to have seen him talk…

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Drug trafficking criminal who brought misery to thousands who had no regrets at how he made his money ruining the life of others

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Who did his jail time and stopped dealing. Hence an excellent example of highlighting the potential successes of rehabilitation. Sage point Pawsy.

jamj1974

His involvement with the security services is interesting too…

enfht
    Free Member

Miserable Pawsy is miserable. Poor Pawsy.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Yup agree about rehab, but there is no escaping ones past. To emerge as some down to earth geezer seems to paper over the past and give him a veneer of acceptability.

wrecker
    Free Member

Only dealt a bit of ganja didn’t he?
    He was hardly Manuel Noriega.

dannybgoode

Drug trafficking criminal who brought misery to thousands who had no regrets at how he made his money ruining the life of others

I disagree with this statement. He smuggled and dealt only cannabis. He was very clear about that and refused to have involvement in other drugs.

OK I guess it depends where you stand on the issue of drugs overall but he was not a pusher, avoided – even condemned smack etc and did not IMO cause misery to others through his actions.

konabunny
    Free Member

I find it odd that there is such condemnation of those involved in the Panama Papers affairs but such enthusiasm for an actual money laundering organised criminal that did business with genuinely terrible people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the Phillippines – like, actual gangsters and warlords. He was also in the sex business in Thailand.

His book was, though, very well written and entertaining.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Matter of opinion on drugs, he was described as a major drug trafficker. Think we can assume it affected lots of people. There is an opinion that people like the Krays, Great train robbers etc become urban myths and their crimes are some how diminished. The victims are (always) often forgotten.

km79
    Free Member

This. But hey, he wrote a cool book, let’s gloss over the reality.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

actual money laundering organised criminal that did business with genuinely terrible people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the Phillippines – like, actual gangsters and warlords. He was also in the sex business in Thailand.

This.

bikebouy
    Free Member

konabunny – Member
    I find it odd that there is such condemnation of those involved in the Panama Papers affairs but such enthusiasm for an actual money laundering organised criminal that did business with genuinely terrible people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the Phillippines – like, actual gangsters and warlords. He was also in the sex business in Thailand.

I’m going with this, but actually had to google him because I thought we were talking about Richard Marks the singer/songwriter..

Drac

But he was loveable rogue, the little scallywag.

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t deny that (mind you, warlords are by no means terrible people in the context of afg and pak) but he will certainly have done business with the taliban, ISI and the CIA and it is documented to have dealt with the IRA and the mafia which is about as bad as it gets. I feel sorry for anyone who would have had to deal with that lot.

natrix
    Free Member

Let’s not forget that the UK did lots of business with the mujahideen in Afghanistan when the Ruskies were there. They only became the ‘bad guys’ when the Ruskies left and the west went in.

ASFAIK Howard was dealing with them when they were the ‘good guys’………….

DaRC_L

I find it odd that there is such condemnation of those involved in the Panama Papers affairs but such enthusiasm for an actual money laundering organised criminal

The assumption that those involved in the Panama papers did not deal or support organised crime somehow is wrong. They are the rich people at the ‘top table’.
    Marks was just a normal poor person (i.e. one of us) who was able to get to Oxford and found himself doing the same things as the people at the ‘top table’.
    But then he got caught (probably because he didn’t have the right family connections) & did time and then made an honest career.
    Now what chance is there of the people in the Panama Papers:
    a) doing time
    b) getting honest careers afterwards

Trimix
    Free Member

Where did he hide his illegally gained money ?

ads678

Mr Nice is the only book* I’ve ever read in two days, and for that he was a good bloke. RIP Howard.

*proper book, not like the books I read to the kids before bed time, I’ve read loads of those over two days!!

konabunny
    Free Member

Trimix: he hid it in onshore and offshore bank accounts in false names. He laundered money through onshore and offshore companies. He also says he buried a bag of money in Switzerland and dug it up years later – but I think that was an embellishment either to protect whoever really held onto it or just for entertainment vakue

But then he got caught (probably because he didn’t have the right family connections) & did time and then made an honest career.

Have you actually read his book? Genuine q.

Northwind

Trimix – Member

Where did he hide his illegally gained money ?

Lots and lots of C2W bikes.

yunki
    Free Member

I met him backstage after I crashed his dressing room during one of his speaking tours
    A genuinely warm and affectionate geezer who believed in what he was doing, with intelligence and wit to rival Stephen Fry..
    He found genius methods to undermine the establishment and bring a much sought after product to the masses, making a mockery of daft elitist prohibition laws and eventually paying dearly for providing such a service..
    I’m not at all surprised at his money laundering activities as he did not identify himself with, as a human being, the laws made to protect the assets of the wealthy..

One of the good guys in a world strangled by oppression

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I thought this thread was referring to Howard of Take That.

😳

As you were.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Matter of opinion on drugs, he was described as a major drug trafficker. Think we can assume it affected lots of people. There is an opinion that people like the Krays, Great train robbers etc become urban myths and their crimes are some how diminished. The victims are (always) often forgotten.”

I think there’s some truth in that. Although it could be argued that Marks was criminalised by a society that outlaws some drugs in favour of others, for the economic benefit of a select few. Marks has certainly been an excellent publicist for his own ‘brand’. I dare say he made a few quid from touring and giving talks to wide-eyed acolytes. He had a story to sell, and it seemed everyone was buying. People love a rogue.

But he didn’t act alone, and had associates ranging from terrorist organisations, to British aristocracy. I suspect the fact he seemed to get off with much lighter sentences than his ‘major drug trafficker’ persona would normally expect, suggests he had quite a few powerful connections. I bet quite a few people in high places are breathing a sigh of relief now he’s silent forever.

As for the drugs bit; alcohol is by far the most dangerous drug in our society, and it’s legal and it’s consumption even positively encouraged. It’s all about politics. Our entire financial system is fuelled by Cocaine. There is more Heroin on the streets of the UK than ever before, due to war in Afghanistan. And modern, UK produced ‘Skunk’ is far more powerful than the hash and weed Marks etc used to smuggle.

There are far worse people than Howard Marks ever was, and some of them are leaders of nations. Marks was a relatively little fish in a pond full of sharks.

gobuchul
    Free Member

suggests he had quite a few powerful connections

He was friends with Harold MacMillan’s grandson……

bigjim

I shall start to re-read Mr Nice tonight I think! Sad loss of a real character.

… who brought misery to thousands who had no regrets at how he made his money ruining the life of others

Replace … with any multitude of ‘stw acceptable’ jobs, eg Brewer, Distiller, BAE engineer, O&G Engineer in Africa/South America, …. and nobody would bat a white knight’s eyelid

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A grade bs merchant from what I’ve heard.

RobHilton
    Free Member

A grade bs merchant from what I’ve heard

It struck me that a lot of Mr Nice was embellished. Pretty entertaining, though.

zilog6128

I thoroughly enjoyed his books but took none of it at face value. He was obviously very intelligent & was excellent at self-promotion so was able to build a brand/career out of what he said he’d done.

He found genius methods to undermine the establishment and bring a much sought after product to the masses, making a mockery of daft elitist prohibition laws and eventually paying dearly for providing such a service.

Sort of agree with this up to a point, although I think it was a good thing (probably for him as much as anyone else) that he got caught and then went straight. The IRA/organised crime connections were pretty unforgivable though IMO – but did they actually happen or just another product of his over-active imagination?

finbar
    Free Member

I disagree with this statement. He smuggled and dealt only cannabis. He was very clear about that and refused to have involvement in other drugs.

globalti
    Free Member

Lost me there, finbar.

What came across to me in his book was that his biggest mistake was flaunting his activities in front of the FBI.

finbar
    Free Member

I was recalling one of his anecdotes about getting high off reindeer pee (they eat magic mushrooms out in the tundra).

wrecker
    Free Member

As for the drugs bit; alcohol is by far the most dangerous drug in our society, and it’s legal and it’s consumption even positively encouraged.

What are the % deaths per addict of alcohol vs heroin? Life expectancy?
    I do not for a second believe that having a pint is more dangerous than having a smoke of heroin, mainly because of the amount of people I know that have died of or due to the effects of heroin addiction and I know a lot more people that drink than I did people that took heroin.

dannyh
    Free Member

actual money laundering organised criminal that did business with genuinely terrible people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and the Phillippines – like, actual gangsters and warlords. He was also in the sex business in Thailand.

Unfortunately when the true extent and effect of his ‘career’ are looked at then it doesn’t all sound so much of a laugh.

I guess he was probably an alright person for a drug dealer, though…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘RIP: Howard Marks’ is closed to new replies.