• This topic has 150 replies, 112 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • Rik Mayall's died
  • carbonfiend
    Free Member

The man who introduced Rip Rig & Panic on the Young Ones – I nearly fainted RIP

wrightyson
    Free Member

“Worlds biggest bogey bum, rick, Britain”
    Seen the young ones episodes so many times. Was quite young at the time and my dad banned them from the telly. We still found a way to watch even back then!
    😥

transmute
    Free Member

Oh wwaswas you bugger, that picture just turned the room very dusty. 🙁
    What a wonderful legacy to leave behind though.
    I’m off to laugh at youtube for an evening! 🙂

pondo

And the grown-ups will say “But why are the kids crying?”
    And the kids will say “Haven’t you heard? Rik is dead! The People’s Poet is dead!”

WHAT a quote, well done sir.

stuey
    Free Member

Just saw this (sad/wry smile) ….

Adrian Edmondson said of Rik Mayall: “There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

“And now he’s died for real. Without me. Selfish b*****d.”

gordimhor

Funkyrodent beat me to quoting his only tweet, a really funny man. RIP Rik

yunki
    Free Member

you utter utter bastard

nickc

“One thousand five hundred and seventy four gin and tonics, please Monica, Large ones”

What a shocker

IanW
    Free Member

I owe that man some of biggest longest and most enjoyable laughs I have ever had.

RIP and thanks for it all.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

I went to see him and his spoof rock band “Bad News” at Portsmouth guildhall many moons ago.
    They were brilliant, I have never laughed so much in my life. They were also remarkably talented as musicians- I’ve heard much worse from “proper” bands.

RIP properly talented bloke

Cougar

He didn’t completely recover from his quad bike crash

Is that true or speculation?

The media at the moment keep trotting out that he had the accident a couple of years ago but it seems in lieu of anything else to say; I’ve not seen anything yet to suggest that it’s connected to his passing.

sweepy
    Free Member

Not just a great comedian but a man of integrity in my view. Sad news.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe, what a shame, big fan and admirer of his writing and acting.

😐

Cougar

A little more info on the BBC now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

I’ll not quote the entire thing, but John Lloyd suggests that his health had been deteriorating for a while since the crash.

Lots of nice tributes on there too, worth a read.

DezB
    Free Member

You know those rare moments of TV comedy that leave you weak with laughter, tears running down your face? Through my life I reckon Rik Mayall was responsible for more of those than anyone else.

Particularly remember a moment from Bottom – he just answers the phone with “4444444” … jeez, I was in pain. No idea why – he was just bwilliant.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I went to see him and his spoof rock band “Bad News”

Somewhere in the house I have a Bad News CD. I’ll have to dig it out and play it very loudly in the car tomorrow.

bearnecessities

“Ooooooh, another brussel sprout”

Sandwich

Partly because much of it was ad libbed, but mainly because it was so bloody funny!

If you watch Rowan Atkinson carefully in Lord Flashhearts Grand Entrance he is corpsing really hard for most of it.

Fare well Richard Dangerous one of the finest slapstick creations.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sandwich, guess who I was talking to? 😉

He loved it as comedy, but his perfectionist streak was frustrated by the corpsing!

Think I’ll dig out Private Plane from Blackadder IV tonight!

ski
    Free Member

‘Ha missed both my legs’

My childhood was full of quotes from The Young Ones.

Pausing VHS footage to try and work out what the flashed frames were, some great bands, all the characters were great in their own way, but Aid and Rik were simply brilliant.

Real shame, RIP Rik.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=498zIwcg5gU[/video]

RickDraper
    Free Member

Neil, the bathroom’s free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Unbelievable, a big part of my growing up is over.

A sad, sad day, RIP Flashheart

Bunnyhop

Sorry – what is corpsing?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bunnyhop, it’s when one actor laughs, often uncontrollably, at another. See also Morecambe and Wise.

Bunnyhop

Ah I see. Yes, that was probably happening in everything that Rik acted in, as he was naturally funny. Thank you.

winston
    Free Member

They were both corpsing in the Flash entrance

A real loss – The comic strip team were my monty python and true innovators

What a tradgedy

Solo
    Free Member

You know those rare moments of TV comedy that leave you weak with laughter, tears running down your face? Through my life I reckon Rik Mayall was responsible for more of those than anyone else.

Aye. Sometimes, when such people pass, others rush in to offer gushing laments about that person, imo, sometimes over embellishing what really was.

Not in Rik’s case.

Without any doubt, a truely, uniquely, great comedian.
    You may not have “got” his style and if that is the case. Take from those who did appreciate his work, he was absolutely great.
    Therefore, those, like me, who enjoyed his work, will no doubt feel robbed, for his passing. Way too soon.

Life’s a F’ing bitch !
    🙁

taffy
    Free Member

Pants Grey skiddy ones.

But such comice genius and scha lot o stuff to watch and laugh over now.

Houns

I’m drinking an Esther Rantzen to his memory tonight

CHB

Gutted. Grew up on his comedy.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Off Topic (a bit), Mickey Rooney’s also died today.

tick, tick, tick make the most of your life

binners

As well as all the joy he gave me (including the bits where it actually hurt I was laughing so hard) my daughters love watching Drop Dead Fred. His anarchic genius was perfect for kids too! It’s brilliant!!! If you had an imaginary friend, then he’s the perfect one!

spacemonkey

I sincerely hope the Beeb see fit to lay on a tribute evening.

And I know I posted earlier on this thread but have to add that I’m genuinely upset at Rik’s passing. He was just so utterly brilliant and absorbing.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Shocked, echo sentiments before me.

No doubt shaped my sense of humour as I was a young impressionable age when watching most of his work.

Bye Flash. You bastard!

Squidlord
    Free Member

🙁

“You spiteful bastard, Neil! Just because you’ve done loads and loads of work for this, just because you’re a creepy little swot you’ve done about 15 million tons of work for this, like a girl, and I’m so hard and street and cool that I’ve done absolutely bugger all, and you’ve done loads, look at it, loads and loads, loads and loads…”

😀

I’m not sure anyone’s ever made me laugh as much as he did. Sad loss.

kimbers

seavers
    Free Member

Ahhh poor Rik. He really was great. As a teen I grew up on his comedy and he has always been a favorite… Mr Jolly lives next door was pure genius. Rest in piece fella.

pictonroad

Absolutely gutted, always loved him, from Young Ones, Saw the Bottom live shows and he was still brilliant in Man Down.

No idea how to embed you tube:

swingball

mooman
    Free Member

Kevin Turvey behind the green door still gets me creased with laughter.
    Just one of his pervy looks was enough to get me grinning.

Really expected him to make another funny series or two. Superb comedy actor.

IanW
    Free Member

Off Topic (a bit), Mickey Rooney’s also died today.

He seemed to be going on longer than most have any right good for him, still they’ll be good company in the entertainers queue.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Rik Mayall's died’ is closed to new replies.