Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rigid forks and big rotors…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting a pair of rigid forks for my Ti Voodoo to use when the Thors are off being serviced, or for road-use.
    I can easily switch the ProII back to QR, but I don’t want to faff with brake rotors. Are there any forks that will cope with a 200mm disc rotor?

I reckon I’ll need to get a 29er fork (465mm ish A2C) as the frame is designed for 130mm forks, and isn’t too slack at that length.

Stoner
    Free Member

there doesnt appear to be a rotor limit on the on-one forks, but you can always email to check.

ratherbeintobago

Surly Instigator forks are rated for tandem use, which implies they’ll take big discs, though it doesn’t seem to be stated anywhere. Bet they’re heavy.

Andy

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks.
    emailed On-One and Surly.

The Surlys are 3.13lb apparently. Not much of a weight saving over the Thors!

xiphon
    Free Member

200mm rotor + QR? No thanks!

Seen the qr pop out many times by people braking too hard…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ok, how about a bolt-thru rigid fork? 😉

clubber
    Free Member

xiphon – Member

Seen the qr pop out many times by people braking too hard…

Really?! Sounds like some serious mechanical numptiness if you’ve really seen that commonly as I’ve never seen it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ooh…

Salsa Cromoto Grande with 20mm maxle…

letmetalktomark

I briefly used a pair of 445mm Cromoto’s on mine – I really wouldn’t have wanted a taller fork.

I had mine set up with a 160mm rotor but have used them with a 180mm rotor on another bike.

Very comfortable ride – a noticeable amount of (good) flex is felt.

I would have thought a 200mm disc to be okay.

Here is mine (just after being built) now with Rebas at 100mm and gears 😆

IIRC mine weighed about 1020g with the steerer cut to about 235mm

ratherbeintobago

Those CroMoto Grandes look good; don’t think the Maxle version’s actually available yet though.I’d also suspect they won’t be making a 26″ version seeing as they’ve stopped making 26ers (Mukluk aside) for 2012. There’s always the X-Lite carbon fork with 15mm TA.

Really?! Sounds like some serious mechanical numptiness if you’ve really seen that commonly as I’ve never seen it.

There’s lots of the physics behind this here. If memory serves, this is one of the reasons Cotic put the Roadrat front brake on the ‘wrong’ side.

Andy

Stoner
    Free Member

Seen the qr pop out many times by people braking too hard

and what exactly do you think the change in position of a calliper for a 200mm rotor does to the force component in the direction of the drop out opening compared to a 160mm centred calliper ……?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rigid forks and big rotors…’ is closed to new replies.