Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rigid 29er . Im destroying wheel bearings at an alarming rate.
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

I seem to be visiting my LBS with a wobbly wheel every couple of months. Maybe its my riding style. Maybe the trails around here are more gnarly than I thought. Perhaps Ive unluckily dropped on some bad wheelsets, but surely my wheel bearings should last longer.

Im wrecking Planet X hubs on their brand rims. Before that I had the On-One SS hubs on the reetard rims with similar amounts of bike shop visits.

Anyone else experiencing this wallet lightening dillema? If not, what 29er wheels/hubs are you running on your rigid?

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive run planet X dog hubs in the past with no problems.

Now run Superstarcomponents and before that it was American Classics.

Cant say Ive ever had a problem with bearings and I run a 29er, occasionally rigid.
    Given fron thub bearings a re a doddle to source and replace even if I did start going through them Id probably look forward to it for the oppotunity of some new fettling!

bonzodog
    Free Member

Hmm, it could be my first suggestion then. Its my riding 🙁

onecogwonder
    Free Member

Silver Salsa disc rims, silver Spot brand disc hubs, no worries there on my Dambala. Might be a problem with the way you are replacing the bearings? They don’t like being beaten into place

sillyoldman

DT 240s hubs on rigid – they’ve been good on two bikes for maybe 2 years now? Have gone through one pair of non-drive bearings after a trip to the US in ’05 – I think that I evaporated the grease from the bearings…. Braking too much – moi?

singlespeedstu

Pro 2’s on the Jones.
    No problems at all.

Bulbs on the Singular.
    Also no problems.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Yr dropouts could be out of true…that would account for the rear wheel only though. Happened to me 20 years ago. I straightened them with an adjustable spanner after getting through 3 rear spindles. Just a thought.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Hope Pro 2’s on mine as well here Bonzo, with a SS specific one on the back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rigid 29er . Im destroying wheel bearings at an alarming rate.’ is closed to new replies.