Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Right that's it we're off!
  • PePPeR

300 miles of cycling through western France here we come! 🙂

It’s our first touring trip and we’re cheating a little by using Gites, but I can’t wait.

bearnecessities

*burgles PePPerR’s house*

Bregante

* nips round to bearnecessities house and waits for him to get back.

bearnecessities

*burgles Bregante’s house*

pondo

Well, this hasn’t gone how I expected. Bon vacance! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

*lets out Bregante’s house to lots of asylum seekers*

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*walks out of Brengates house and shouts at Al for leaving his bike on the lamppost*

*checks tripadvisor*

leffeboy

Seeks asylum while thisisnotaspoon is out

ton

touring is by far the best type of cycling…….enjoy yourselves, you lucky people. 😀

PePPeR

You can try burgling my house, but I have 2 dogs, a 17 stone son, and worst of all a couple of my daughters at home, if anyone could take them off my hands I’d be most grateful as they’re very expensive to keep!

PePPeR

Well day ones over and done, 50 miles of flat railway gentleness, with one 500 metre climb at the end of the day.

Tomorrow we’ve got a 70 mile day as we wend our way down to Laval, the French have kindly opened up another ex railway from Domfront to Angier, so we are cruising along the rivers L’Orne and Mayotte .

bearnecessities

Pictures man, pictures!

PePPeR

I’ll have to do them when I get back, I’m rubbish on a mobile phone at uploading photos to here.

We’ve now done 4 days of cycling, nothing amazing about 55 miles a day,

We’ve cycled all the way down the Mayenne towpath and have dipped our toes in both this river and the Loire, we’re now near Cholet and have found some great chambres d’hotes to stay in along the way. Yesterday eve we stayed in an old presbytery with a swimming pool which we we swam in with the rain pouring down. Had soup and bread for dinner as there wasn’t a shop open for 10 miles and the guest house owner gave us a load of his fresh fruit.

We’ve done over 220 miles and have had some fantastic times, some arguments too (if anyone knows me and my wide they’ll know this as normal tho).

I wish the French would adopt confirmation signing after joining a road, it would make life so much easier…

PePPeR

Righty, I’m back home having left my lovely teacher of a wife in France for the next 5 weeks!

Picture update time 😉

Dog nicks the map and chews it up on the day we’re leaving!

Pegasus bridge memorial in Caen after getting off the ferry

My Judith on a whacking great hill after a lovely days riding! She shouted at me…

Lovely beautiful bridge crossings

So many cycle routes

Lovely little Renault 4

Beautiful architecture

Anyone fancy a resto job on the Mayenne?

Ah Tommy V got lost again! 😉

Dust

Arse puckering wobbly bridge!

BOOM

Morning Poo 😉

Follow Google maps you said?

That’s some scaffolding!

This is what we mostly rode down, all through the Mayenne

Crossing the Loire river, three bridges to cross it as its so big.

Miss Bumble

A beautiful 4CV we came across at a riverside wedding

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That looks Ace.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice.

PePPeR

Thanks it was! The French have put a cycle path in all the way from Caen to La Rochelle, so we just used that with a few detours along the way to see some other sights!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Nice! We nearly did that same route at easter. We ended up going climbing instead but it’s back on the to do list now.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The French have put a cycle path in all the way from Caen to La Rochelle

Ooh. That sounds interesting. La Rochelle and Ile de Ré are two of my favourite places in France.

Did you pre book accommodation or find it day by day?

PePPeR

Here’s a good starting point for some French cycling ideas.

http://www.velodyssey.com/troncons/la-rochelle-royan

Here’s some of the route we used.

http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/where-to-go/la-velo-francette.html

PePPeR

Oh and don’t let your wife get your cycling shorts off the washing line the day before you go and then put them somewhere totally unrelated to your own clothing in the house!

I woke up on the ferry to the fact that I was going to have no padding for the next 250 miles!

PePPeR

We pre booked our first night, then after that it was a case of stopping at the first bar we found when we’d had enough cycling, watch the finish of the days Tour De France then ask the Bar owner for local good Chambres D’Hotes, the most expensive was 70 Euro, and the rest were about 55 Euro a night, all the ones we stayed in had swimming pools, the most expensive one was an old Presbytery on the side of the Mayenne, and we had the whole top floor with a full cinema, table football, Apple Tv and it was a stunning stay!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I should recommend a company called stopoverconnections. For places to stay in France booked by someone who uses language like a local. Interesting places with real French people.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I just tried looking up the cost of the ferry from Portsmouth and the site reckons there are no fairs available for passengers with bikes. How’d you get across PePPeR?

munrobiker
    Free Member

That looks nice! I like the Renault 4 a lot.

If it helps when we did the Outer Hebrides earlier this month there was a reasonable amount of yelling and effing and jeffing from my wife.

flowerpower
    Free Member

some arguments too (if anyone knows me and my wide they’ll know this as normal tho).

Calling your wife ‘wide’ probably explains where you’re going wrong with that… 😆

Looks like an awesome trip – very jealous!

PePPeR

There are loads of people going out on bikes, and they only have one tiny little place to store them in the ship!

We were going to go via St Malo, but they didn’t have any places to store our bikes either.

In hindsight, I’d have put the bikes in cardboard bike boxes and then dumped the boxes at the other side!

Looking on Brittany ferries website thought they have loads of spaces for bikes. on various travellings.

Yes if my wife sees that I may be dead!

I own a white 1979 Renault 4 and am restoring it at the moment!

Just sold a blue 1983 ex French police one!

bearnecessities

At last! Yup, definitely looks ace 🙂

PePPeR

Right, after last year’s successful cycle trip, we’re off again, this time we’re doing Portsmouth to Roscoff, then cycling through Brittany towards the Vendee, about 400 miles of lovely French countryside.

Drove down to my friends house in Princetown last night and have done the usual silly daft thing, last year I forgot my cycle shorts, this year it’s my shoes!!!

Waiting for the bike shop in Tavistock to open to make a distress purchase!

In my defence if put everything together in the conservatory at the weekend, then a certain Mrs P, decided she’d move everything into the living room, shutting the curtains and doors, I never even thought to check, when she said “I’ve brought everything out of the conservatory”!

ste_t
    Free Member

Obviously you’ve made it very clear to her that as she has put you in this situation she’ll be footing the bill for new shoes?

mechanicaldope

Is your house empty this time?

spw3

Any chance of some pics? I’m feeling all cycletour-curious.

jekkyl

pepper please start a new thread (or just use this one) to give us pic updates. I love to see and hear about cycle tours & will give me something to read while dealing with a 2 month old and a 5yr old on our holiday, which starts today!

peasant
    Free Member

Picture,s not showing here

PePPeR

I’m going to just use this one, big up to Dartmoor cycles in Tavistock for helping out with a pair of Lake shoes and a pair of fandangled Shimano pedals, got to try and get used to them after using Time since 1999…

PePPeR

Before the off at our friends house.

How did they know we’re coming?

PePPeR

Grr, who’s best for hosting some pictures?

Vortexracing

flickr works for me

PePPeR

Well day one is over, 97kms of lovely quiet trails on route 1 of France’s premier cycle route. Lovely old train tracks visiting the port of Moulaix and ending up in Carhaix, Brittany is beautiful!

Tomorrow we’ll be up bright and early as it’s the biggest climbing day, after that it’s all downhill to Nantes.

I’m just starting to wind down from work, by the end of the week all will be good with world.

ton

stayed in morlaix and carhaix in may. are you riding on the voie verte?
    we used it for 2 great quiet carfree days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Right that's it we're off!’ is closed to new replies.