Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Right that's it we're off!
  • jimmy

Anyone seen Al this past year?

MrOvershoot

Ohh know the area well, my mother lived just outside Cahaix until 2009 100m from the Nantes-Brest canal which is a stunning cycle route.
    Sort of like a Monet painting from the saddle.

PePPeR

Yup the voi verte is lovely. We started in Roscoff and are going down to the Vendee again. About 400 miles this time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PePPeR

Day 2 of our journey is over, 94kms covered today, started out from Carhaix on the old railway line, then dropped down onto the voi verte alongside the canal, such a shame it isn’t active as we’ve hardly seen a soul on it all day.

Plenty of other cyclists on the paths though and have enjoyed conversations with French, German and Belgian tourers.

The route is well maintained perhaps a little too flat for some people but for two relatively unfit people it suits us just fine.

We found accommodation through booking.com who I hate using but I rang the hotel and they said they had no rooms, but when checking online booking.com said they had one left, so we booked that way. Why go to all the trouble of trying to speak French and save them money when it’s easier to book online?

Pontivy is a lovely riverside town and we are looking forward to going out to get something to eat.

PePPeR

Well I didn’t get to report day 3 as we stayed in an amazing B&B which was an old church where the whole of the original floor plan had been made into a swimming pool!

We spent hours in there, then went for Moules and Frites at the local restaurants and we sampled far too much of the artisanal cider!

The ride itself started to get more and more interesting, as the days have gone on as we have now passed the damm that was constructed in the 1920’s which cut the canal off.

It took two and half days riding to see our first boat.

We’ve now been cycling around 92-95km a day.

PePPeR

Day 4, we have cycled over 100km and I’ve taken my good lady out to the best restaurant in town…

She fancied a dirty McDonald’s!

I very rarely eat them and had to send both my potato chunks and burger back for a second attempt at getting something hot!

If I weren’t starving I’d have told them to stuff it. I hate cold food, I hate sending things back to the kitchen and I really really do not like eating food once I’ve complained about it and it’s gone out of my sight!

We’ve seen horses and mules all travelling along the canals with hundreds of other cyclists doing similar to us, it’s quite funny as we keep having Hare and Tortoise races with the faster couples with identical racing shirts!

We just plod along and they keep blasting past us every now and then!

PePPeR

AlexSimon

Does that pool carry on under the floor? Hard to tell!

PePPeR

Swallows and Amazon’s

Retro caravans

Lunchtime

Big barge

Drink stop

Fisherman

Beautiful view

How did they know we were coming?

Le Grand Depart

PePPeR

No the pool stops at under the balcony,

It was a B&B we stopped in, it was a converted church old school, it was an amazing place.

Had the biggest table I’ve ever seen too. Will find photos.

PePPeR

Massive table legs!

Massive slate top to sit on top of the legs.

AlexSimon

I think that table is about the same size as my kitchen/dining room!

Looks like a great trip. Enjoy!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Right that's it we're off!’ is closed to new replies.