Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Right handed people. When playing pool/shooting a rifle/shotgun….
  • Anyone use their right hand as the rest for the cue…

And use their left as the trigger finger?

This seems natural to me, but apparently it’s cack handed!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Maybe you are left eye dominant.

I am right handed, but when I shot archery i had to shoot with my left to make it more accurate.

Hold bow in right, pull string with left, but don’t know if that’s right or left handed tbh

CountZero

Yeah, me too, left-eye dominant. I used to go to the local TA rifle range with my dad, and trying to shoot a bolt-action .22 was really awkward, what with the bolt being on the right-hand side, thus having to take my hand off the fore stock to operate the bolt.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I shoot left handed due to a very strong eye dominance, it doesn’t feel odd. I originally shot right handed but after a lesson and test it was suggested I try left handed and it made a big difference but this was totally due to the eye dominance not a “natural” feel

Snooker/pool I play conventionally but possibly if I had some lessons they may suggest a switch

thegreatape
    Free Member

On the now rare occasions when I do so, I shoot right handed but use my left eye.

Bucko

This is me. I also use a fishing rod left handed (reel arm on the left). I’ve never really considered it to be an eye dominance thing, I just assumed its because both my parents are left handed so I was taught their way. I’m definitely right handed but I play pool/snooker, shoot and fish left handed.

CountZero

I find it perfectly natural shooting an air rifle left-handed, not having a bolt to bother with. Having fun in the pub last week shooting at some picture or other pinned to the kitchen door with the landlord’s rifle, and a slightly illegal local’s air rifle proved that… 😆
    Made a bit of a mess of the door mind… 😳

joshvegas
    Free Member

My dad is a lefty paddler, I am ambidextrous. Both right handed.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am fully right handed apart from riding a skateboard goofy, which is odd apparently.

I did teach myself to use a joystick with my left hand though the better to hammer the fire button more quickly, that was surprisingly easy. As was moving from normal brass instruments to the French Horn.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m right handed but left eyed. Last weapon I used was an SA80. Really didn’t fancy trying that left handed.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I can play a guitar all four ways but vanilla is the least cackhanded. Left foot forward for a trackstand and am also goofy.

gordimhor

I am right handed and left footed.Ishoot archery left handed and play pool left handed. I am left eye dominant .

wwaswas

trying to shoot a bolt-action .22 was really awkward

I can imagine with automatic weapons watching the spent cartridges fly past your face can be a bit disconerting.

When we used to fire .303’s in Army Cadets one of my friends was worried about taking his nose off with the bolt handle if the recoil got too much for him.

Cougar

Hold bow in right, pull string with left, but don’t know if that’s right or left handed tbh

That’s left-handed.

Pool’s an odd one for me; it’s one of the few things I’ve done naturally right-handed (as opposed to being forced to against instinct due to lack of left-handed equipment). A few years ago I figured it might improve my game if I made myself play lefty (left eye dominant), and now I’m equally crap with both hands.

richmars

Seem to remember during training in a past life that if you fired a L85 (AKA SA80) left handed you ended up with a face full of hot spent cartridge casings.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also make myself learn manual labour tasks with both hands, like shovelling or doing ip screws. Very useful to reduce fatigue and also in tight spots where access is difficult.

Speeder

And there was me thinking I was odd being very right handed but being a lefty with bows and guns. I do play pool right handed though.

I’m not sure if it’s an eye dominance thing or just that it feels more natural to hold something relative heavy and control the direction it points with my strongest and most coordinated hand. Why on earth would you choose your weakest and least clever hand/arm to do that? I guess that applies to both shooting and pool really. . .

andytherocketeer

Firearms right handed, although I wouldn’t be surprised if I was more accurate doing that cackhanded (or at least more steady).

Bow left, arrow right. Wouldn’t do that any other way.

Tried cue left, rest right for the occaisional tricky shot, and there’s no chance of emulating Ronnie o’Sullivan. Or even hitting the ball without a playing a foul shot.

definitely swap hands for screwdrivers though in the rare occaisions I do DIY.

Left/Right footedness is more obvious, mainly cos 1 foot is better at doing things, while the other better at balance. (edit and I think i’d skate or snowboard left foot forwards… is that normal or goofy? – skis are better anyway!)

pictonroad

Does it matter which eye is dominant if you close the other one?

I’m right handed and left eye dominant. Perhaps this is why I’m better at pool after a couple of looseners…

headpotdog
    Free Member

Dominant eyes don’t matter too much in shooting sports where it’s possible to shut one eye, but with shotguns you need to keep both eyes open & it’s important to have your dominant eye looking down the barrel. It’s even possible to get a heavily offset stock (customised) to allow you to shoot right handed, but have your left eye looking down the barrel!

Dominant eyes aren’t even consistent. For example my right eye is dominant when I’m firing a shotgun for the majority of targets, but if I get an overhead target (grouse or pheasant type clay target), my left eye takes over. Go figure!! Very frustrating & it took me years to figure out why I was struggling with this type of target, but now if I squint as the target’s coming towards me, my right eye takes over & I get on target quicker 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Right handed people. When playing pool/shooting a rifle/shotgun….’ is closed to new replies.