Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Right handed people. When opening a jar…do you…
  • jamj1974

Not weird OP. I do the same.

andytherocketeer

Depends how much of a sod the lid is to remove. Normally jar left, lid right, but then swap if it’s a tight lid.

And then swear if it’s a marmite lid and on the previous use a dribble went over the edge of the jar so the lid is glued on as a result.

jamj1974

Arghhhh! Marmite lids! Love Marmite hate the jars!

Flaperon

Right handed.

Jar goes in right hand, lid in left. Anything else is just weird.

Any lefties who hold the jar in their left hand?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Right handed, lid in left jar in right. Not sure that proves much as i use a tin opener the ‘wrong’ way.

I’ve also been told i tie shoe laces left handed but i’ve not yet discovered the difference :-S

goredsox82
    Free Member

I use my left for most activities and I hold the lid in my left hand.

Since I am primarily a lefty and am usually surrounded by right-handed people, I have always found the irony of jars quite amusing. Why? Anatomically, it is much easier to generate leverage to open a jar if you hold it in your right hand and twist the lid with your left. The muscles that move your left hand counter clockwise are larger than the muscles that move your right hand the same direction(no matter what hand is more dominant). The moving of one’s wrist away from the body feels more natural also(which is why a right hand dominant world made clockwise the tightening direction in the first place). So…are you weird? Nope. If anything, the people that jokingly suggested that are making it harder on themselves to open a jar. Thanks to hand dominance, they never noticed the easier option. It is awesome to see a number of righties here that prefer the lid in their left hand!

Living as a lefty in a world made for righties is actually really odd(handshakes, smeared ink, three ring binders, ball point pens(meant to be pulled, not pushed), kissing/hugs(usually done on the right), passing someone on the street/stairs(also done on the right), cashier handing you money/a receipt(they expect you to stick out your right hand and seem confused if you are a lefty), the string that holds the stylus on the signing pad is never long enough(and you have to sign without anything to rest your hand on), etc.) so jars are one area we can celebrate. I waited four hours to post this so sorry if it was long. 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’m right handed. I hold the jar with my right hand and twist the cap with my left.

Me too.

bokonon
    Free Member

Surely you use the stronger hand for the lid because it requires more grip due to a lower surface area.

Jamie
    Free Member

I use my left for most activities and I hold the lid in my left hand.

Since I am primarily a lefty and am usually surrounded by right-handed people, I have always found the irony of jars quite amusing. Why? Anatomically, it is much easier to generate leverage to open a jar if you hold it in your right hand and twist the lid with your left. The muscles that move your left hand counter clockwise are larger than the muscles that move your right hand the same direction(no matter what hand is more dominant). The moving of one’s wrist away from the body feels more natural also(which is why a right hand dominant world made clockwise the tightening direction in the first place). So…are you weird? Nope. If anything, the people that jokingly suggested that are making it harder on themselves to open a jar. Thanks to hand dominance, they never noticed the easier option. It is awesome to see a number of righties here that prefer the lid in their left hand!

Living as a lefty in a world made for righties is actually really odd(handshakes, smeared ink, three ring binders, ball point pens(meant to be pulled, not pushed), kissing/hugs(usually done on the right), passing someone on the street/stairs(also done on the right), cashier handing you money/a receipt(they expect you to stick out your right hand and seem confused if you are a lefty), the string that holds the stylus on the signing pad is never long enough(and you have to sign without anything to rest your hand on), etc.) so jars are one area we can celebrate. I waited four hours to post this so sorry if it was long

Welcome to the forum.

goredsox82
    Free Member

Lid in the left, jar in the right – you’re pushing in with BOTH hands.

You are not pushing in with both hands. Yes, there is an element to Newton’s third law if one hand stays stationary while the other turns but it is not equal. With your left hand on the lid, the left hand turns out to remove the lid. These muscles are stronger than the muscles that move a right hand counter clockwise(the muscles used if the right hand is on the lid)….which is why an overwhelming number of people here are right-handed but use their left hand on the lid.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I use squeezy bottles

Eyepic
    Free Member

Left holds jar then right twists lid…you are weird.

ninfan
    Free Member

You’re all weird

The right hand holds the lid still, the left hand twists the Jar!

steveoath
    Free Member

Right handed… Left grips lids, right holds the jar.

Does this have anything to do with which hand you wear your your watch on? Even though i’m right handed i wear my watch on the right wrist.

fathomer

Without a jar to hand I can’t remember how I do it 😕

Oh well!

miketually
    Free Member

Generally, your dominant arm is weaker than your less dominant arm, but your dominant arm has a finer level of control.

(I’m right-handed. Jar in left, lid in right.)

mightymule
    Free Member

I’m right handed. So I generally pass the jar to the OH to open.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Right handed people. When opening a jar…do you…’ is closed to new replies.