Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • riding steps, what's the best technique for these?
  • rOcKeTdOg

sharp turn, uneven heights and distance apart and steeper than the picture suggests, how would you tackle them (it’ll be on a rigid or 100mm front sus bike, so no “6/8″ travel what steps??” advice please)

the next challenge by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

b1galus
    Free Member

i use the hang on and hope technique , of course i fall off a lot

straight down no front brake,cut the inside line on the ‘s’ bend so the bumps on the corner dont catch you out, lean back and feel your sherriffs badge gripping the saddle baby!!!!!!! Good Luck we want to see a vid!

simondbarnes

Get off and walk.

jedi

left side til turn then turn as little as you need to make the bend 🙂 heals down, wrists dipppped and enjoy it

andy7t2
    Free Member

bike over the shoulder and walk technique

tinribz
    Free Member

Seat down, straight down to the first corner, lock up the back till you stop. Trackstand bounce the front round, release, repeat.

Or take that path on the right…

nedrapier

Looks you can air the lot, rear wheel down on the inside just before the last step, put the front down just after, setting you up nicely for the corner.

Or what?

rOcKeTdOg

on the right of the first turn, the gradient is significantly steeper, it doesn’t show on the pic, so straight down isn’t really that easy, the exit is extreme left from the last step too

Drac

Ignore that they’re steps, they’re just bumps ride like you would a rocky descent.

In SdBs case get off and walk. 😛

nedrapier

Actually, I’d follow the curve of them with the front the to outside, nice and easy, fairly slowly.

But not knowing what they actually look like, I might well take the approach of looking at them, ride up to them a couple of times, chicken out and tell myself I’d get them next time…

Milky
    Free Member

One step at a time.

Boom-tish.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Slowly, they don’t look that bad……………..

There’s a set just outside Pangbourne that’s probably as steep, but near enough straight, as long as you keep the wheels rolling its fine, the real puckering moment is if you pick up speed and end up locking a wheel trying to control it. Either let off the brakes and try and ride it out with even more speed, or keep trying to slow down and hope the whole bike doesn’t go rubber side up!

If it were me I’d give Jedi’s description a try (but keep right to start surely?) then when that doesn’t work, straight down the first bit and cut the corners 🙂

imnotverygood

I think you’d need to pedal really really hard to get up those

yunki
    Free Member

sit up straight.. death grip.. eyes closed.. stiff upper lip..

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just wheelie all the way down, then pull a massive skid at the bottom.

rickmeister

Pick a dry day for a start if the edge of the step is wood…..

rOcKeTdOg

they are all wood 🙂

Tiger6791

Carefully

andyl
    Free Member

just turn right at the top and head for the direct route through the trees.

You’ll crash faster that way – no point in delaying the inevitable and you might actually make it.

Keva
    Free Member

I’d probably ride on the dirt to the left hand side and then ride the last few steps at the end, possibly cutting across over to the dirt on the right hand side, thus avoiding most of the steps, if that would be possible.

Kev

Pieeater
    Free Member

I actually find it easier riding techi steps in the dark. 🙂
    That way you cant see too much ahead and concentrate on the ones just in front.

Pook

Where’s that?

rOcKeTdOg

steps down from the Aquaduct, NW Alps

for a first attempt i would hit them about 30mph clearing the 1st five steps , then a tail spin with triple pike round the right hander finishing off with a rolling endo to finish.
    building up to more extravagant decents thereafter

rickmeister

Think I would be heading for an inside line on the right hander…. keeping central on the upper ones as the gravel goes right to the lip, making them flatter in front of the wood edge.

Am I taking this too seriously…?

Just fit Conti Vert Pro’s, think about doing this on a wet day but save yourself all the trouble and pain by going straight to hospital A & E…..

brakes
    Free Member

if I’m honest, I wouldn’t ride them as even if you don’t grab the front brake, the front wheel is likely to tuck under and you’re on your face/ back/ arse onto wooden steps and a world of ouch.
    ride the dirt round the edge on your way to something more fun to ride.

wors

Put flats on.

speaker2animals

I’m sure that I would wimp out. Looks fine in reality if I’ve got my good head on. That right hander does look tricky though. Difficult to see a “nice” line to get in position for that.

Tricky.

Pogo
    Free Member

Drop yer seat first, so if you have to bail you don’t catch yer nads and just roll down em nice and steady with a fair bit of rear brake and butt clenching. Second time down you might not do quite as much butt clenching.

29er or trainer wheels?

lipseal
    Free Member

No comment *see my other thread*

alexxx
    Free Member

they look really easy if you just get your weight over the back wheel and drag the back brake?

take it easy and don’t tense up

philconsequence
    Free Member

ride up nice and fast, compress the front fork as your approach the first step and as the fork rebounds “pump” the bike into the air, whilst soaring through the air like the glorious eagle your dad said you’d never grow up to be, grab a big defiant fistful of front brake, shift your weight forward over the front wheel and scream “I’M KING OF THE WORLD!!!” as you land.

rOcKeTdOg

did you eat cheese before bed Phil?

29er or trainer wheels?

big wheels, ladies love a set of big’uns

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Pump them: for added comfort and control. I find it helps

philconsequence
    Free Member

no cheese before bed… no cheese since… ummmm…. wednesday last week?

i did however sprinkle some extra crack on my morning frosties.

Dancake
    Free Member

Ride up to the first one and change your mind at the last minute. Topple off sideways. (Funnier if clipped in)

aracer
    Free Member

Get your spade out (you do carry one of those in your backpack?) and flatten them out.

z1ppy

To be honest, that look scarily steep (when trying to ride steps) in your photo, and photo tend to flatten out decent badly.

My technic would be, roll in gently.. falling off and sliding down the rest…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Has anyone suggested not bothering with the corners and just straight lining it?
    Like this?:

5484579707_b845e8e84e_z by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘riding steps, what's the best technique for these?’ is closed to new replies.