Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Riding solo
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Work and its most inconvenient shift and rest pattern dictate that I nearly always ride alone. Always give partner an idea where and how long I’ll likely be.

busydog
    Free Member

then text every hour say with where you are

I do that when I can, but 90% of my riding is in locations without any cell contact, so calling/texting won’t work. I do always let her know the specific trail area I will be riding so if I don’t return within a reasonable time, at least she will know where to have someone start looking for the circuling vultures.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Prefer solo or +1 max. Above that too much faffing as described above!

Solo in the snow this weekend was magical – the silence was golden.

But I need to ride with better riders to push me more on steep stuff. Where are you jambalaya?

Kryton57

99% on my own.
    Mainly because I have no friends.
    Partly because I work weekends & have a family-allowing only for oddball timed rides.

This :-/

thefaller
    Free Member

I ride on my own and in groups.

If no one is out i go out exploring,so as to find new routes when my mates are out.

Company is good but there is also something nice about being on your own.

Kato

meehaja – Member

other people are too fast or too slow. I am just right.

I like this! I ride on my own 90% of the time. However, I only seem to really push myself if I ride with mates. However, they are nearly always broken, working (I work shifts), or have “lost” their bikes

freeagent
    Free Member

95% Solo –
    Have young family so often getting out at short notice.
    I have no issue with riding with other people but I don’t know anyone locally who rides, and I wouldn’t join any club who’d have me as a member.

06awjudd
    Free Member

When I get out on my road bike, I’m always on my own, but I get bored of road riding, so this isn’t very often.
    When I had my FR bike, I would ride downhill exclusively, so I would always ride with friends, I don’t think I would have nearly as much fun riding DH on my own – it helps to follow people and spur each other on.
    I’m building an AM bike, and while I will continue to ride DH, my trail and XC rides will mostly be solo.

starrman82
    Free Member

90% on me Jack Jones, mostly i prefer it, too much stopping/fafing around in groups esp large groups. Do tend to get lost in my thoughts sometimes but also have the odd eureka (not Ulreka kaka..) moment as well.
    Thats not to say i don’t enjoy group rides.

jezketley
    Free Member

Majority of my rides are solo, I like the freedom to go when, where and as far as suits me. But I joined the local mountain bike club a year or so ago and enjoy the social side and camararderie, particularly on a mud fest ride or big trip. One thing about group rides though, they tend to be low on miles but high on smiles.

Rorschach
    Free Member

99% of the time solo.
    I am anti social.
    I am unreliable.
    Sometimes I ride too far.
    Sometimes I ride too fast.
    There are about 2 people alive I like riding with.

matt_outandabout

glupton1976 – Member

I’m a married man – of course I ride solo.
    ^ This 😆
    oh
    hang on
    😐

travo
    Free Member

When just out sessioning dh runs and gaps, drops etc I much prefer riding with others, i reckon it’s much easier to progress when riding with people who are equal or better than me, pushing each other on, plus if theres a few of you out it’s a lot quicker when out building new trails, jumps or whatever.
    If just out on the single track for a blast then i prefer being on my own and going where i want at my own pace, definitly a good way to clear the mind after work.

bokonon
    Free Member

I tend to time my riding to start at sunrise or just before, whenever that might be, so that I can get home to the family, this means it tends to be solo. I did go out on a group ride with some mates not that long ago, and I really enjoyed it, but I like the relentlessness of riding solo, no need to stop to chat.

ton

There are about 2 people alive I like riding with.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I tend to time my riding to start at sunrise or just before, whenever that might be, so that I can get home to the family, this means it tends to be solo.

Reminds me of my last solo ride in the lakes. Set off in darkness and witnessed a fantastic sunrise. But when I got to the top of Nan Bield it was snowing and I kinda got to thinking “What if I come a cropper up here on my own?” Sure I’ve got spare clothes, space blankets, food, 1st aid kit, whistle ect in my backpack and my mrs can follow me via Viewranger so she could give co ordinates to the emergency services but she’s not keen on me doing high level rides on my own.

northernerindevon

Interesting that most seem to ride solo…

I am in that category too, 98% of my time I am out solo. Suitably prepared. Usually tell someone where I’m off to but not always.

I like riding with others but not in big groups – like others have mentioned the amount of faff drives me insane! I guess a factor is that I just don’t know that many people locally who ride properly. Plus I am a bit (quite, very!) antisocial and the escapism is always good. But I think my skill set runs a risk of stagnation, especially as I don’t always push my limits (especially on big, remote rides) – it’s that ‘what if….’ at the back of my mind that prevents me really pushing hard on the downhills. C’est la vie.

TLDR – 98% solo, would like to ride with others a bit more often than I do.

Taff
    Free Member

I ride solo most of the time, very occasionally ride with a local guy but its a lot easier to arrange if its just me

Rorschach
    Free Member

Actually Ton one of them is a glowing blue naked dude 😀

project
    Free Member

I seem to start off solo in isolated places, then all of a sudden somebody else pops out of the forest or heather and want to chat about tyres, or the breakup from there wife or partner, or other intresting stuff.

Makes life go better,even met some off here

nc21

Probably 60 – 40 with mates/solo but have cocker spaniels who love to get out for a “walk”. Son 21yo told me last week he’s never been out on trails on his own.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

If everyone rides solo who the ferk are all these big groups of blokes I see every weekend riding round here?

gordimhor

More than 90%solo. I am a sad weird loser 😉

Duggan

I wouldn’t want to only ever do one or the other. Both have their own merits

yunki
    Free Member

98% solo

I’m waaay too unreliable to make meets, my pace is way too varied, I’m liable to stop for a nap occasionally

labsey
    Free Member

Solo mostly. Not because I’m antisocial but I’m too often tempted by those little ‘I wonder what’s down there’ trail and tend to do more exploring than actual distance.

righog
    Free Member

For many years all my riding was solo. But over the last four or five years I have been riding with groups and I really like it.

There are problems with arrangements, faffing with kit, different pace etc, but none of these really matter, the only thing that I do have to watch is that at 45 I can only do so many rides a week, and sometimes I miss a solo ride to have a bit more energy for a group ride, if the group ride then gets cancelled it’s a bit annoying.

Why do I like it more ? Mainly it’s more fun, if people are faster you can learn from them, if they are slower they can learn from you. It is always a laugh and few beers afterwards are always good fun.

I still go out by myself (about 40%) and still love it. I do feel sorry for the quite a few people who seem not to be able to ride solo.

Euro
    Free Member

A partner, a couple of kids and a job working shifts means I’m around 2/3s a soloist. I much prefer riding with mates tbh, but alone time on the bike works too, as that’s when I push myself to try new stuff. Flip side is there’s never anyone about to witness my spectacular crashes.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I have done exactly two rides with other people. Most of the time I just prefer my own company I guess. It’s hardly remote where I ride, so I’m unlikely to get eaten by bears etc. I usually tell my wife roughly where I’m going.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

I detest being around other fools be it on my bike or whilst kayaking.

I recently ran the river derwent from darley dale to matlock. Its was bad enough that this was an unfamiliar stretch of water but made far worse were the dumb asses i paddled out with. Stopping for lunch, stopping for various other dramas turning a 50 – 60 minute paddle into a 3 hour expedition all whilst my missus & daughter are waiting in the car for me. Never again.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Ride solo a lot. If its in the mountains I always leave a route plan with the Mrs. On the plan all the trails are highlighted A-B C-D etc with descriptions of how to get to the heads/ends.

Also carry a GPS so I could give a coordinate by phone if I needed too. I always carry a down jacket and bothy.

I never ride that remote though, always about 45 min walk out or less.

tinybits
    Free Member

I ride in fairly well populated areas, however it’s style of riding that means I’m more often solo. I ride at a fairly slow strady pace but never take a break. I’m not a huge fan of stop start riding so tend to go it alone. Plus of course the work / family time constraints.
    Having said that, I am going to start some Wednesday night rides this year to mix it up a bit *waves at other Bath riders*

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Since moving a few years back I haven’t really fallen in with a group of folks as yet. I did consider finding a local club but they are a lot bigger down here than in Stirling, and the idea of being in a group of 20 riding in the Lakes really doesn’t appeal.

So solo for me then!

I find that when the weather is iffy, such as the current snow, I am having to keep conservative with my venues as a result. So Grizedale is becoming all too regular at the moment, but at least getting out is better than sitting around as I have been for way too long.

I may start looking into finding some riding buddies come Spring, but as with many others family commitments may make it a bit tricky to fit in with what other people want to do.

Saying that, I have been really enjoying my solo adventures, and often throw the bike onto the car roof on a work day to see where I end up! Had some great explorations as a direct result of this!

christhetall
    Free Member

If everyone rides solo who the ferk are all these big groups of blokes I see every weekend riding round here?

They’re people with friends and a social life. They don’t post on internet forums !

Yep, I’m another one who rides solo 90% of the time, and in very small groups the rest of the time. Carry a phone, space blanket, whistle, tell my wife where I’m going and text her if I change my plans. No of which will help if I bang my head in cold weather, so I make sure I don’t.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Years ago I used to ride in a group of 12 as part of training, did this for 5 years and then the team split, after that I rode solo and I was glad of it. The banters fine in a group but roadies can be very singular in their own output/rate and backing off/upping pace all the time became tiresome.
    So after that nonsence finished I rode solo for ages and was happy to, then I gave bikes a break and then returned back to them and started solo rides to get fit again, then joined a Club of MTB’ers and rode with them for a few years, but in the main I ride either solo or with another riding buddy.
    It’s just easier if I ride solo and I’m back in training moda anyhoo’s and I’m kinda at that point where organising stuff takes a back seat.. but who knows what’s around the corner..?

Prophet2
    Free Member

Used to ride solo all the time but past couple of years it’s now 50% out by myself and the other 50% made up of out with two or three friends, or out with Prohpet Jnr as he gets older and wants to bike more.

Night riding, Mrs Prophet2 likes me to head out with at least one other person at all times.

roverpig

Yes, pretty much always ride on my own. I just prefer it. I also prefer routes where I am unlikely to meet other people. Yes, there is a higher risk, but so what. Life’s a gamble.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Riding solo’ is closed to new replies.