Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Riding on black ice – Good idea?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The local area seems to be covered in a thin sheet of ice. Cars sliding and people falling over. Clearly too dangerous to go to work so is it safe to go for a ride instead?

BoardinBob

Aye on you go.

Your username tells a story… 😉

postierich
    Free Member

Just ride on the white bits and you will be fine.our xmas nightride was fun down the country lanes to the Chase.

Pook

keep it straight, keep slow speed

Or hit it hard, sideways for rad skillz action

😉

Albanach
    Free Member

Post the x-rays when you're done breaking yourself

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, we went for a ride last night and I started off along the roads to the meet point very gingerly indeed. I go over a bridge with long curly ramps (It's actually called Curly Bridge, and it's on Curly Bridge Road! Seriously!) and it was sheet ice. TBH I was amazed how much grip I had on it, although I didn't dare touch the front brake. Out on the trails it was snowy, but bloody good fun. There's really an insane amount of grip available. Just keep it smooth and lay off the front brake on the ice!

After 2 pints on an empty stomach (Me=bit merry!) I flew home without a care. Even did a drop off onto an icy path. 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

[feeling silly] slipped over walking to the garage to get the bike [/feeling silly]

Best way to reduce the swelling on a wrist that has hit the ground hard?

noteeth
    Free Member

Cars sliding and people falling over.

On the Winchester Road, I was awoken by i) the noise of a car going through a neighbour's fence. ii) a man screaming "for ****'s sake, SLOW DOWN!!"

And so it began.

mtbfix

It has been sheet ice 80% of my route to work since Friday last week. I say MTFU and ride the bike to work 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PP has beeon off twice in the ice on her Trek commuter (Slicks) but MTB tyres just seem to grip. Well for me thay do, anyway….

(Famous last words?)

Albanach
    Free Member

Use the ice that you fell over on 🙄

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

mtbfix – I can't ride to work. I am working from home but if other people can't get to work I don't see why I should struggle

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident – Member

[feeling silly] slipped over walking to the garage to get the bike [/feeling silly]

OMG 🙂 Get some ice on it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am heading off for a spin in a bit. 4" of snow over ice here – but I have my magic studded tyres.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Where can I get some ice from? Oh, I know, the path to the garage!

Lummox

it's not tooooo bad going over on the black ice (which you will) it's the car/lorry sliding along behind you that might be more of an issue.

If winchester road is iced up then it's going to be a long time before the suburbs are cleared, my fiance just returned after getting about 200 metres up an ice sheet and binning it in the kerb twice, sensibly she's come back home.

DrP

I'm pretty confident I broke my back yesterday after what looked like knurly mud and stones was in fact encased in a lovely coating of ice, like one of those comedy loo seats with barbed wire in them!

I laugh, but in fact my back's bloody agony, and if the pain doesn't improve, I'm off to A+E to get it Xrayed to ensure I don't have a crush fracture….

However, how am I going to get there as the wife very kindly drove her car into the curb and it now has a wonky wheel, so has taken the other car, leaving me with a broken back to sort out pickups/recovery/wheels/tyres……!

DrP

wwaswas

I did a 15 mile ride along the Downs yesterday – bit of hike a bike through the snow and icy in other places but was all great and fun to ride.

Got home and swung my leg off the bike and nearly came a cropper on the newly frozen ice that seemed to cover the entire road and drive – the 10 yards to the garage was a proper mince fest.

woffle
    Free Member

in a word. no.

I've got the bruises to prove it – couldn't / didn't see the ice, just knew it was there when I was suddenly on the ground. It was that slippery that I couldn't stand up on it and had to push the bike ahead of me on all fours to the verge so that I could get back on my feet.

stupot
    Free Member

Im still batter and bruised from my commute in on my roadbike, was on the drop bars round corner, and hit the floor hard. (surprise?!)

Luckly the car behind hit the same black ice and slid onto the verge rather than straight over me

Been out on the MTB off road since and that grips fine.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Hmm should I come home whilst its still light and teh ice is melting or wait till 7:00 when its bound to have frozen again …

adamsmithoutdoors
    Free Member

is anyone else going to buy studded tyres or is it a once a year use thing?
    thinking of adding them to my commuting MTB?
    🙂
    PS thats when I recover from last weeks bike vs car…git never stopped!

stumpy01

Went out on the road last year and got to a lane that was sheet ice. Was fine for about 50 metres and then before I knew it the back end went one way, the front went the other way I was sliding along on the floor next to the bike for a good 20m or so.

Rode home feeling a bit sore, thinking that I probably shouldn't have bothered.
    Next time I got the bike out, I realised that I had worn the edge off one of my X-lite bar end things almost all the way back to the bar! Must have happened while sliding along – can only assume the bar end was on the only bit of road that wasn't icy!

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Went out last night worthing way, parts covered in black ice, plenty of wash outs but a real hoot – nothing broken just saw jaws from laughing so much.
    Its a challenge – have a go, it may be the best riding you ever do. Pick your line, maintain speed and you 'should' be fine !

🙄

DT78
    Free Member

Shirley is an ice rink at the moment. Fell off the single speed twice in about 500m.

Turned around and came home. Walking and using the bike to keep me upright.

According to my boss who I asked to check on my team and let them know I'd be 'working from home' today not one of the eight had made it in yet….

carlphillips
    Free Member

wentout last night and it was ace despite me ripping the sidewall outof my tyre on ice/frozen mud, this mornings drive to work however was not fun at all, took an hour to do 20 miles then halfway in the road had been closed so day off for me today (i should be pleased but the mrs has just gone out and left me with the kids)

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Walked to work here in Totton today. Even the slight slopes to dropped kerbs had me sliding towards the road in places.

DT78
    Free Member

Not much chance of the postie turning up with my rotors& tyres I ordered last week then 🙁

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Look on the bright side, we've now all got excuses for cards and pressies we've forgotton to send turning up late!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

About – ooh 20 – yrs ago i set off for work one cold winters morning.

Got to the top of the steep hill (Kiln Lane for them that knows it) and was confronted by a line of cars stopped for (apparently) no reason.

"Stuff this" says i, white-lines it around the vehicles and….

…hit the huge patch of sheet ice from a burst water main!
    I skidded down the entire hill on my 'arris spinning around and around with the bike along side me! I must have done about 150+ft before i ran out of ice and ripped the backside out of my jeans (and the skin from my 'arris!).
    Limped back home with a slightly bent bike and a bare & bleeding bum!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

When i got up it was still frosty so got dress to ride to the general. I got as far as the end of our drive before i hit the deck. I decied to drive at that point. Our road was just on sheet of ice but the main roads adn M271 were ok. The roundabout next to sainsbury's was very slipply and i went round it sideways at about 15mph and the roads around the hospital were really bad.

retro83
    Free Member

When I was a young'un, I had a paper round with a big old hill at the end of it. In the winter, it became a glacier.

I managed to get up it somehow to deliver The Mirror to the lone house at the top, but trying to get back on the bike I overbalanced, did a comedy slip up and smacked the back of my head on the kerb.

Somewhat dazed, I slid down the ice-covered hill on my back, scrabbling around like an overturned turtle.

When I eventually slid to the bottom, I had to endure the indignity of almost getting run over by an out of control milkfloat and getting frozen dogs eggs on my new gloves 🙁

bigyinn
    Free Member

And what do we have down here, f'ing rain. FFS

jimmy

slipped on black ice crossing the "30mph" dual carriageway in front of my flat yesterday. fortunately i chose to cross at a time when no cars were coming (- how about that?!)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rain here now too. All the fun has gone. Never mind, it should freeze again tonight and we can watch everyone making the same mistakes again.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Riding on black ice is a bad idea. It's possible if you don't have to turn or brake, otherwise it's a no-no for me. Fell off twice on my commute last year a mile from home, slide about 20 feet into the undergrowth. It's not worth the risk.

I did try to ride to work today after putting the racing ralphs on my commuter/cx last night. It wasn't really a good idea. Tried riding on the road and the bike was all over the place when I tried to turn, tried the cycle path but just couldn't get through the snow. Took me 10 minutes to go a mile so though long and hard about riding the next 19 and headed back home to dig the car out of the driveway.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

In Leeds all the pavements are still frozen whilst most of the main roads are gritted/clear. Therefore if I can make it from my house to a main road without coming off (like I did yesterday morning…I now have a bruised arse) then it's probably safer to ride than walk! 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Riding on black ice – Good idea?’ is closed to new replies.