Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Riding. North Wales. What to go at?
  • hardtailonly

2 days riding (probably). Based in Cheshire (not sure exactly where)

Trail Centre and natural stuff.

Antur is not on the agenda. Nor is Snowdon at this time of year.

I’ve done The Beast at CyB … Any other long routes there worth doing? What’s the ‘old’ stuff the other side of the main road like?

I’ve also done Penmachno (although never in the dry)

What are the Marin Trail and Llandegla like?

Recommendations for natural routes as would prefer these unless the weather turns to p*ss? Something for a good, long day out, interesting XC-ish or hike-a-bike-and-back-down-again mountain ish?

Go …

jekkyl

If you’re based in Cheshire then degal isn’t far off. not sure what you mean by ‘what’s it like’ – it’s a trail centre, follow the arrows round the forest and occasional technical feature, it’s quite good, I like it, on a par with Cannock. Marin is a lot of fire road, I wouldn’t bother, someone else will be along to say it’s the best ever.

The stuff over the road at cyb is black, even the flat parts are rocky as ****, it’s defo not fast and swoopy.

I did Cadair idris recently which we really enjoyed, great bit of XC to start before it kicks up a gear and the mountain isn’y really all that big in comparison to lakes stuff, it’ll provide a good half a day.

have a look here: http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nanty

carlos
    Free Member

Conwy Mountain loop.

A great loop with fantastic views. Not techy but some fast tracks and grass to steam down. Couple of cheeky bits can easily be added in that require 5mins Hike a bike.

Carlos

Edit – Last weekends loop https://www.relive.cc/view/1689533985

GolfChick
    Free Member

Nanty…. how on earth is Nanty in North Wales!

Did The Marin recently and enjoyed it, weather was stonking which helped with the amount of fireroad and stunning scenery. Never done it before so enjoyed it just on that basis but wouldn’t rush back as it’s a blooming long way.

Always enjoy Degla and enjoy it much more than the Cannock pebbles. I wouldn’t count it as a ‘long route’ though. How about Degle combined with End of the World? Did it recently when the ground was still sodden and enjoyed it a lot and would defo do it again, its a big day and despite being fit I was ruined by the end of it.

Would agree with Cadair Idris, the ground was real wet when we did it but it didn’t rain and we really enjoyed it. Not too huge a mountain so completely do-able alone and a good ‘mountain feel’.

lowey

Do Carlos’ route. Its an absolute cracker!

johnw1984
    Free Member

Mooching off this thread for Saturday ideas 🙂

fossy

How long does the full Marin take – I’ve done the mini circuit with my son, that includes the excellent final descent, but that was about an hour for 5-6 miles.  The full one is 16 miles, so about 3-4 hours – probably wouldn’t take my son on that as he’s not a ‘long distance’ rider and doesn’t like climbing.   I don’t mind the fire road climbs, but there are a lot, even on the short circuit.

Llandegla is good fun !

I also need to do Conwy Mountain – we have a caravan in the area which is an ideal base.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Llandegla is a great Trail Centre. A full afternoon can be spent in the area.

Marin I love. Old school XC, some really nice single track and lots of fire road climbs.

Penmachno, not everyone’s cup of tea but some nice single track.

As Jekkyl says look on the flat tyres routes

Lots of easy to follow routes.

For me a day exploring the Clwydian mountains and a trip in the afternoon to Llandegla.

Day 2 follow one of the above route guides

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

http://mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/

Check out the Clwydian range rides. They’ll all be close by if Cheshire based.

Garry_Lager

The Clwydian’s worth a gander on the MTB RaveyDavey? The route descriptions normally sound like rolling, non-technical tracks which make me think the road bike’s a better bet for that area.

tillydog
    Free Member

“I’ve also done Penmachno (although never in the dry)”

Nobody ever has…

It’s still wet now.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

The Clwydian’s worth a gander on the MTB RaveyDavey?

The Moel Arthur loop is worth doing on the MTB not crazy tech but a good ride out. There’s also one which goes over the top of Moel Famau which is worth a look in this dry weather. It’s usually really boggy.

binners

Not just one of the best routes in Wales, but one of the best rides you’ll ever do anywhere…. Drum Mountain Loop

Absolutely bloody brilliant!

There was a thread on here a while back titled ‘how fast have you been off road’? Pretty much everyones fastest (which were in the 45 – 50mph category) was on the huge long grassy, naturally flow grass decent down Drum Mountain. What makes it even better is that you’ve the most amazing views out to see as you do it

Its one of those rides that everyone should do at least once. I’ve not done it for a few years. I’m due a return visit

P-Jay
    Free Member

My 2p

CyB is lovely, it’s rocky as bawls rather than fast and flowy (as a rule, there’s a lot of trail there). I know a few points off because the centre isn’t really where the trails are so you either ride a little loop over the road, or a little loop up the hill, so on a busy day it’s really busy at the start and end.

Marin was mind-numbingly boring for me, a pain in the arse to get to, seventy million miles of featureless fireroad, nice enough single track but nothing unique enough to travel for and a nice final descent. It’s also deep in Kendal Mint country so MTBers are about a welcome as a dose of syphilis by the summer crowd in the local cafes (there’s no centre as such).

Llandegla is a Theme Park, it’s the least ‘natural’ TC I know, but I love every bermed, whooped, table topped bit of it. The cafe also sells AMAZING burgers. It’s a 4hr drive for me, but I go about twice a year.

Nant Y Arian is deep in the ‘desert of Wales’ aka, the middle bit – it’s 2 hours from Chester, The Summit trail is awesome, like Llandelga, whilst it’s sold as having 3 trails, it’s more like 1 with extra bits you can add on for greater length, I haven’t tried Syfydrin (the Black one) but I’m told it’s old-school Black, I.E. longer than rather than more technical and it’s The Summit with 18k of easy-ish trail on the back end.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Marin is brill, Degla is hugely outdated imo but worth doing if you are in the area/passing by anyway.

carlos
    Free Member

Premier Iconbinners

Not just one of the best routes in Wales, but one of the best rides you’ll ever do anywhere…. Drum Mountain Loop

Absolutely bloody brilliant!

There was a thread on here a while back titled ‘how fast have you been off road’? Pretty much everyones fastest (which were in the 45 – 50mph category) was on the huge long grassy, naturally flow grass decent down Drum Mountain. What makes it even better is that you’ve the most amazing views out to see as you do it

Its one of those rides that everyone should do at least once. I’ve not done it for a few years. I’m due a return visit

If you want a slightly alternative loop to that on that cuts out pretty much all the road, except the Youth hostel bit from Rowen I can send you a GPX

Carlos

martinhutch

It’s also deep in Kendal Mint country

Have they moved it to the Lakes? It needs another decent TC.

I like The Marin, as it used to be known. Now called Gwdyr Forest, or somesuch. There’s a bit of old-school fireroad winching, but then CyB isn’t exactly short of that. And even a bit of hike-a-bike – you don’t get that in your average centre. The newish sections are loads of fun.

And as for unfriendly cafes, there’s a decent chippy in Llanwrst, what more do you want? Betws has got cafes aplenty.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

can i get that loop off you too please Carlos 😉 Thanks

carlos
    Free Member

Lawmanmx

can i get that loop off you too please Carlos  Thanks

Sure, email is in my profile or post up yours

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nanty…. how on earth is Nanty in North Wales!

It’s not, but it’s still the right answer 😉

hardtailonly

Ok. We’re staying in Malpas. Current plan is a full day at Long Mynnd (about an hour away) on the Saturday, and probably Llandegla Sunday morning.

Anyone got some good routes/tips for the Long Mynnd?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Malpas!!!! That’s Shropshire!!

This is a good afternoon out around Llangollen

Ceiriog Valley and the Vale of Llangollen

martinhutch

Anyone got some good routes/tips for the Long Mynnd?

Up 10, down 5, up 4, down 7, up 1, down 2, up the road (cursing) then either down 9 or down 11,12,14,15.!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Riding. North Wales. What to go at?’ is closed to new replies.