Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Riding near Anglesey?
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Heading up to Anglesey for a wedding and wondering if I should take the bike and squeeze in a days riding somewhere? Whats up that way? Been to llandegla a couple of times so not interested in going back again, would like to sample something else.

nwgiles

not many hills on the island, only one, however snowdonia & betws yr coed is 30 mins away.

Vortexracing

Conwy Mountain

P1020922 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1020942 by eastham_david, on Flickr

torquil
    Free Member

Coed Mor bike track under Britania bridge. Its a short jump track and lots of fun (all rollable too), Google it and you’ll find details or there is a FB group for the track (link below). Otherwise there is always Snowdon, you can’t miss it, its the big pointy hill across the straits…

https://www.facebook.com/groups/122724977802012/

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

As kids we used to rag our bikes doing frankly stupid stuff around the copper workings on Parys Mountain. Was great fun at the time but very risky with all the opencasts and mineshafts. Also not sure what the access is like these days as it’s now an SSSI. Would have great potential as Anglesey’s answer to Lee Quarry I reckon.

I grew up riding the cheeky stuff on the quieter bits of the coast path around the north of the island…except I didn’t know it was cheeky back then.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

There’s a nice little loop just getting started at Pentraeth:
    http://app.strava.com/activities/72646555

RustySpanner

SprocketJockey, we went for a walk round Parys Mountain last year and thought exactly the same thing.
    It’s a wonderful place, with some amazing possibilities for trail development.
    Didn’t have time to have a proper look underground (and we hadn’t taken any gear with us) but it’s on the list.

Great new caff just down from the Liverpool Arms in Amlwch too.

We’ve done a fair bit of the Coastal Path and I know it’s uber cheeky but there really is some great riding there.
    We’re planning on trying a bit more when it’s quiet this winter.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

@rusty: I really think the local council is missing a trick there. I suspect the situation is complicated by the mining rights which still exist though.

As far as the underground stuff goes, there is a massive cavern towards the north end of the main opencast that has some incredible rock formations and mineral deposits in it and is a bit of a scramble down from the main track near the blue pool / mill. Nearby there used to be access to a tunnel which brought you out to a tiny ledge on a sheer drop over the pit. For us kids it was a huge adventure playground… our parents would have gone mental if they knew what we got up to there!

The bit of the coast path I used to ride regularly was up between Church Bay and Carmel Head. If the new access laws go through for Wales it’ll open up some good riding around there and other bits of the island.

Haven’t been back to Anglesey for years but hoping to get up there in October and have a bit of a poke around some of our old haunts.

niceandy
    Free Member

Also there for a wedding next weekend and planning on Snowdon if the weather’s ok (the ban is still in place so will be after 5pm). If not then will do either Penmachno or Marin trail (for old times sake).

mikertroid
    Free Member

South Stack?

Speshpaul

There’s a nice little loop just getting started at Pentraeth:
    http://app.strava.com/activities/72646555
    I was sat on the front at Benllach last week looking at those woods and thinking i bet theres some riding there.
    But i only took the road bike. it gets a bit windy on the island don’t it:-)

RustySpanner

The clockwise loop using the signed bike routes from Llanfair PG is a cracking road ride – 73 miles by my speedo.

Not as flat as you think it is either, but good fun nontheless. 😀

More info on the Cycle Anglesey site here:
    Linky.

iolo
    Free Member

If I remember rightly there’s a whole lot of arsenic and other nasties in the ground at Parys Mountain put there to mine copper.
    Maybe not the best place to build a bike park.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ll be there for some road riding next week, usually do a loop of the island which has it’s moments. And wind.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

for any that are interested 9 30 am mainland side of the menai bridge– sunday morns –a good group head off for a club run– all welcome, route determined on the day…

twoniner
    Free Member

Conwy mountain and anywhere along the north coast above Penmaenmawr and Llanfairfechan (just after Conwy)

iolo
    Free Member

Conwy mountain looks good.
    Is that all legal riding or is some of it cheeky?

twoniner
    Free Member

You can get back on the legal stuff quick enough 😉

A lot of it is bridleway and pretty wide farm tracks but clearly the best bits stray off them a little.

The down hill down from the summit of Conwy mountain to the pub is mint!

RustySpanner

Aber up to Llyn Anafon will get you warmed up.
    Lunch by the lake, blast back down to the junction above the little carpark.

Turn right onto the b/w and up to the signpost, with a diversion up Drum if you’re feeling up to it.

Left at the signpost and the best blast for miles down to Llanfairfechan.
    One of my favourite rides anywhere

Left before your feet get wet and back to Aber.

The other side is fun too, up from Conwy.
    Loads of routes in the Bikefax guidebook.

twoniner
    Free Member

Left at the signpost and the best blast for miles down to Llanfairfechan.
    One of my favourite rides anywhere

Cracking fast ride down that, ends too quick though 🙁

I usually head backup through the quarry and over to Conwy.

Danno72
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info guys. Thinking I might have a look around betws y coed. Penmachno sounds like a good blast?

twoniner
    Free Member

When are you up?

There is some seriously good natural riding on the coast. Would be a shame to be landlocked in a woods when you can have views like that throuout the whole ride.

RustySpanner

Penmachno is my favourite trail centre.
    It’s ace.

But going to North Wales and just riding trail centres is like going to Paris and eating at McDonalds. 🙂

Danno72
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of the trail centre Rusty Spanner love natural stuff the best but kinda need some local knowledge/guide to get the best out of a limited time. [u]twoniner[b] Wedding on the 21st Sep but hanging about for a couple of days after.

twoniner
    Free Member

[u]twoniner[b] Wedding on the 21st Sep but hanging about for a couple of days after.

Im only home at weekends however if you are about on either the weeksnd before or after I will happily show you round. Just drop me a line with a bit of notice.

RustySpanner

Wasn’t being too serious. 😀

Not in the area when you’re up (we’re not local, just visit a lot), but someone might be able to show you round.

And if not, Penmachno is a great choice, with some superb views of it’s own.

You can’t go wrong in North Wales.
    Unless you want guaranteed sunshine. 🙂

twoniner
    Free Member

I hate Penmachno, it’s one of those ‘marmite’ trails.

Danno72
    Free Member

“marmite’ trails? Can’t imagine I’ll be feeling to flash on the Sunday so I’ll probably head out on the Monday but thanks for the offer twoniner

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Anglesey?’ is closed to new replies.