Home Forums Bike Forum Riding from Sheffield station

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Riding from Sheffield station
  • flyingmonkeycorps

What’s it like riding into the Peak from Sheffield? I’m thinking about getting a train to ride this weekend, and getting off the train in Sheffield saves me 50 mins over getting it to Hope.

Worth doing or better to get the train further?

alanl
    Free Member

It’d take you more than 50 minutes to cycle from Sheffield to Hope and its mostly uphill.
    Get the train.

MadBillMcMad

Perhaps I’m missing the point but then why not get the train from Sheffield to hope, edale, Bamford etc.

It’s a great way of allowing you to do an end to end ride.

Conan257
    Free Member

I believe the question is…

I’m taking the train, and could arrive in Sheffield 50 minutes before I would arrive in Hope… Is it worth getting off at Sheffield and is there riding close to the station, or should I just carry on to Hope?

crazy-legs

Cycling out of Sheffield is all uphill, some of it on not-very-nice roads.

You’re not saving 50 mins by riding – you’re subjecting yourself to about an hour plus of crap riding to get anywhere close to decent off-road. Sheffield station doesn’t have much going for it admittedly but get a coffee and sit around for a bit then get the nice easy Northern service out to Hope.

I believe the question is…

I’m taking the train, and could arrive in Sheffield 50 minutes before I would arrive in Hope… Is it worth getting off at Sheffield and is there riding close to the station, or should I just carry on to Hope?

I read it as “I’m getting the train to Hope but I need to change at Sheffield and it’s a long wait, should I just ride from Sheffield to Hope?”

And as above – no. I’ve done it on a road bike and it was tolerable. I’d hate to do it on a mountain bike!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea as above, you can ride out through Endcliffe Parks which eventually spits you at at Houndkirk Moor / Lady Canning’s, / Stanage Edge which is nice, but not worth the ride if given the option.

I’d get the train to Hope, do a nice ride. Then end it with up Stanage causeway, down the plantation,  up the road (bit of a trek but you’re not missing anything better it’s just gaining elevation) to Lady Cannings, Houndkirk Moor, Blacka Moor, then roll back down to Sheffield.

You could do it the other way (ride out and get the train back) but I’d rather do a decent ride first wile I’m fresh and then slog my way up that hill last thing in the day.

jeffl

So to answer the question, you can ride our from the station to the Peak but it’s not brilliant. Basically through town to Endcliffe Park then there’s a bridleway that takes you up to 1/2 mile North(ISH) of the Norfolk Arms. From there you can do Redmires and Strange Edge, or Lady Cannings and Houndkirk Moor, before dropping down to Hope Valley. But yeah it’s all uphill and will take more than 50 minutes.

Personally I’d go for a beer at the Sheffield Tap whilst waiting for your train, it has an entrance on Platform 1 and everything.

Edit: thisisnotaspoon beat me to it 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

Haha sorry, I probably worded that badly. It’s been a long week.

Reckon I’ll stick to the original plan and get the train all the way to Hope. Not like I can’t take a book. It’s either that or roadie to Filey for fish and chips, we’ll see how it pans out…

pavlos
    Free Member

So I’m heading to Sheffield next Friday and am looking for a nice route from the station to end up at Great Longstone, just north-west of Bakewell.

Have ridden out of Chesterfield and Sheffield before, not sure I would do it again. So any suggestions for a decent route? Happy to train it out towards Hathersage etc. Will be in Sheffield by 1pm and have all afternoon really.

Just looking for something with nice views, not overly strenuous (not at my fittest at the mo!). On a HT with a bikepacking rig.

Also heading back on Sunday so have option of different route then.

Any thoughts?

tuboflard

If you can get a train to Dore and Totley you can do a lot of it either off road or on quiet back roads. In fact I rode most of this last weekend as an out and back (I live just up the road from Dore and Totley station).

https://explore.osmaps.com/route/23425548/dore-station-to-great-longstone

Just one very short section of cheeky to keep you off the main road.

pavlos
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I may well take that route back actually. I’ve done a bit of that with Froggatt Edge, but not further east. Anything from Hope/Edale? Probably an uphill slog from there though.

sharkattack

Related question:

Are there any mostly off-road routes from Hope or Edale back into Sheffield?

I’ve got some time off during the week but the Mrs has the car at work so I’m stuck in S2. I can ride out but I’m knackered by the time I get to the Norfolk Arms/Stanage area. I’d like to get the train further out and have a change of scenery.

I’d like to avoid tarmac and traffic as much as possible.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

@flyingmonkeycorps and others – there are plenty of ways out to the Sheffield Moors along the various valleys with varying degrees of traffic, but its all a bit in-and-out-the-houses. Once there, there’s loads of good riding to be had, but a large degree of cheek, so probably best saved for weekdays. You also don’t really miss anything decent by training to Dore station and starting from there.

To add @sharkattack in. Riding to/from Hope WILL involve some tarmac. I do it a fair amount – head out over Stanage, then road dh/poor trails to Bamford. Coming back, either way you have a big tarmac climb. I’m heading for Abbeydale Road, so it ends up being the main drag out of Hathersage, which ain’t nice, and there’s no offroad option to be had until you hit Burbage/Houndkirk/Blacka. A quieter alternative would be up Hurstclough Lane from Bamford Filters, then back over Stanage – I do that on the gravel bike a fair bit.

tuboflard

Hirstclough Lane and then up Stanage Causeway is definitely the more pleasant route back in terms of lack of tarmac or traffic. You can also turn cheekily right at Redmires reservoir to cut a bit of the road out to Ringinglow.

There’s also going through Hope cement works, down to Brough and along Townfield Lane to Shatton to then cut across after the bridge at Bamford to avoid a bit more of the main road. Have done this many times on gravel and mountain bike.

tuboflard
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.