• This topic has 46 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by 40mpg.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Riding for 24 hours. (have you ever or would you fancy).
  • ton

my wife has squashed my dream of riding the puffer, various reasons,
    my health
    it will be too cold
    it is too far
    cost
    no suitable transport.
    i have succumb, being a big softie at heart. another year hopefully.

but i have a urge to ride my bike for as many miles as i can in 24 hours, not racing to get as many miles in, more like hambling along at a nice steady pace, with a few cafe stops, and a pint or two in the evening to gird my loins for the night riding ahead.
    i have done a few long audax rides in the past, 300k being the furthest, but i still felt pressurised to get a time/keep up with people.
    i dont want to do that. i just want to try and ride my bike for a full day.

have you ever done this? or would anyone fancy doing this?
    i have a cracking quiet route planned….. 😀

richpips
    Free Member

i have a cracking quiet route planned

Off road?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I did a 24 solo race. That was fine. I’d do another.
    I did a six hour solo road ride. I’d rather saw my finger off in my shed than do that again. The dullest thing I have ever suffered.

So no.

scotroutes

Yep. Just choose a route, one with plenty of cafes on the way.
    Remember to carry food for the night period.
    Finding clean water to refill your bottles can be an issue, especially if out on the road. Three bottles will help. Campsites are a good source of fresh drinking water, though you might have to be a bit surreptitious. Finding clean, running water is hard in the dark – even in Scotland.
    An insulated jacket and bivvy bag can be an idea, just so you can have a wee nap should you want one.
    Lights/reflectives are obviously important, as is having a good clothing system to account for temperature variability.

I’m game to join you for an amble if the route sounds attractive.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have done 12 hr time trials and the longest L`eroica ride took me 15 hours last year.Hard at the time but the feeling of achievement was great afterwards

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

will there be hipflasks?

STATO
    Free Member

There was a nice article a number of years ago in some rag (ST) by someone who’d done a home based 24hr, basically made a few loops from the door and did them in various orders and repeating as required/fancied. It was a great idea focussed on enjoying being out on the bike, not focussed on a time or distance. Obviously this allows you to return home to refuel, change and maybe swap bikes (road/xc/cross? why stick to one type, its your own rules!). Quite fancy it actually now youve reminded me about it.

steezysix
    Free Member

Not done 24 hours, but a couple of times on tour I’ve been feeling good at the end of a days ride and just decided to keep riding. There’s something pretty special about seeing the sun come up while riding along, admittedly it’s a lot nicer in the height of summer when the night only lasts a few hours!

takisawa2

Tell her you’ll miss the Puffer if you can do the Tour Divide next year… 🙂

ton

there will be hipflasks, fish and chips, real ale and cooked brekkies.

geoffj

There was a nice article a number of years ago in some rag (ST) by someone who’d done a home based 24hr, basically made a few loops from the door and did them in various orders and repeating as required/fancied. It was a great idea focussed on enjoying being out on the bike, not focussed on a time or distance. Obviously this allows you to return home to refuel, change and maybe swap bikes (road/xc/cross? why stick to one type, its your own rules!). Quite fancy it actually now youve reminded me about it.

I remember that article – it was Mark or Dave IIRC

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds awesome, and would be a great event idea. Like the pieathlon, but with more treats… 😯 😀

rickmeister

STATO, that is priceless, thanks for the idea. .. December 6th is Global Fatbike Day…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i’m a tentative yes,….pending details of hipflask volumes… 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yes please Tony.

scotroutes

Group riding at night is pretty cool. Robust tyres are a good idea as you’ll not be seeing potholes and the like so well. Startles and amazes drivers though as it’s difficult to work out what all the shiny stuff and flashing lights are from a distance 😉

ton

so if i set a date, and plan a nice quiet enjoyable route, with cafe’s and a chippy, and a pub, are people gonna be interested?

dazh

Did it for the first time this summer. Liked it enough to try it again at the ‘puffer.

Things I liked:
    – The challenge
    – Discovering how far I could push myself
    – Experiencing the weird mental states you go through
    – Gaining an almost 6th sense-like knowledge of the course so that by the end you’re pretty much riding on auto-pilot.

Things I disliked:
    – The constant need to keep on top of eating and drinking
    – Chaffing (chamois cream and half a tub of sudocreme didn’t prevent it)
    – Blisters on my hands
    – Blisters on my feet
    – The journey home

mcmoonter
    Free Member

If there will be cake, bacon butties, fish and chips, hipflasks and much mellowness, I’m in.

scotroutes

Are we aiming for the highest average age of any STW organised meet?

rone

My mate rode around the ‘block’ a two mile circuit in my village for 24hrs.

He did 320 miles. A challenge to himself.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m in like!

Junkyard
    Free Member

there will be hipflasks, fish and chips, real ale and cooked brekkies

I will be bringing my own food then
    I will also help drop the average age no end as well 😉
    We thinking road or offroad?

PS if it is windy you can **** off 😉
    imagine 24 hours of that 😯

ton

i was thinking on road, but i am open to other idea’s.
    i thought on road would be a bit more sociable.

also, would folk be bothered about where it is held?
    it wont be any further south than leeds, the route i have.

oldgit
    Free Member

Done many 24 hour solo things, but preffered the Audax’s especially the 600km.
    That’ll take you past 24 hours though, maybe a DIY…permanent?
    How about something mixed in terrain.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why not find a Brevet Populaire Audax which has a lower minimum speed and just do that for 24hrs or so. A 300 or 400 would fit that bill.

scotroutes

Sorry – I was thinking road too. Leeds-ish would be fine as that’s pretty central for most folk. With enough notice, I should make it along.

RustySpanner

Mrs S and myself are up for this.

And can we have a picture of the breakfast?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Here is the vegan option
    No need to thank me

Leeds is fine with me

ton

the route i have is 200 miles, give or take a wrong turning.
    flatish 1st half, lumpier 2nd half.

how much notice do people need?

rickmeister

This thing your building, it needs a name…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Double ton

ton

junky has it….perfect. ton’s double ton

beicmynydd
    Free Member

This bloke went for a lot more than 24 hrs without stopping in the race across America.
    He was in a right state at the end

Well worth a look.

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/adventure/stories/1331657878636/is-this-the-world-s-hardest-bike-race

scotroutes

More than 5 hours.

butcher

Have done a 400k Audax, which took over 20 hours but not quite 24. It’s friggin’ hard work. Takes you through lots of different emotions, but the easiest miles were those spent in good company. Gets tough when you’re on your own – and I like riding on my own!

stevemakin

if I’m around then yes please 🙂

jameso

Have ridden 20-24hrs or more in one go a few times but not at MM or similar. Couldn’t face repeats of the same route – mentally very different to a long section of a longer ride, I think I’d really struggle with motivation. The solo / out there alone aspect isn’t an issue but lapping would be. Out and backs are ok though, quite like the way the route plays on your mind at the halfway point and return leg.

richpips
    Free Member

so if i set a date, and plan a nice quiet enjoyable route, with cafe’s and a chippy, and a pub, are people gonna be interested?

Yep, I’m interested.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve thought about doing this midsummer day with a friend over the last few years but we’ve never got round to it.

The plan is to head north from Glasgow and just keep riding heading in the general direction of somewhere like Ullapool. Although the direction we headed would depend on the wind direction on the day I guess but heading south doesn’t really appeal quite so much.

I’m interested too btw but 200 miles in 24 is slow going even with a multitude of food/pub stops, it really needs an option to lengthen the route to suit the time available surely?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Riding for 24 hours. (have you ever or would you fancy).’ is closed to new replies.