Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Riding coastal (foot)paths?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Totally unacceptable? The bikes were used for the first week of our hols near Forest of Dean, now we’re in Morgan pawth and its all about the surf.. Had an early morning nip out and some of the stuff looks great but I would never ride when there’s families about. So early morning acceptable or not? I’ve found nothing else around here…

RustySpanner

I just usually apply the same ridability test as I do everywhere else.

Am I going to ruin/erode the trail to an unaccebtable extent?
    Am I going to piss off other users or ruin it for local cyclists?
    Is it an SSSI/home to the lesser spotted foetid mugwump?

Pretty much just the usual Cheeky Rules.

Have done quite a bit of the Anglesey CP.
    Usually the rocky bits (most of it!) in the winter.

It’s a nice explore when the clagg’s down in Snowdonia.
    Don’t see many people.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Early mornings and wet w/ends when quiet here – Gower.

Junkyard
    Free Member

As rusty notes the goal is to apply some common sense as the rules dont do that

Is it safe, will it annoy folk, will it cause erosion etc
    Locally I know hardpacked double track that is a footpath and yet open boggy moorland that is a bridleway
    it makes more sense, and does less damage, to ride the footpaths

your call but do it responsibly

SSSI are a complete no go for me

PrinceJohn

If it’s mawgan porth in cornwall – ride up the road to about Bedruthan Steps or a bit further, then back along the coastpath to watergate bay – proper scary in places but good fun.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Early or late, expect an injured baby robin round every corner.

somafunk

Ride where you like when you like but don’t ride like a cock, be courteous to other users and be aware that round that blind corner they may be a family having a picnic in the middle of the path.

yunki
    Free Member

Or, as I experienced just last week on the SW Coast Path, a woman in hunter wellies and a Laura Ashley head scarf just standing on the path boring someone to death loudly and enthusiastically..
    Both people saw my approach from a good 600 yards, and watched as I slowed to a standstill from 50 yards..

The woman doing the listening looked embarrassed, but scarf and wellies was simply completely unaware and cheerily passed the time of day as I purposefully dismounted and left the path to circumnavigate her self absorption

I exchanged a wry smile with the listener and chuckled off

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yep was up at bedruthan steps this morning but it was 9.30. Popped onto the path and thought this just looks brilliant, however whilst getting my mind around whete to gead etc it got busy and i abandoned as I didn’t think it was fair to the other users. Tomorrow early doors its all mine…..

tinybits
    Free Member

Have ridden the coastal path from Salcombe to Hope cove a couple of times, starting pretty early and ending about midday. Never had a moments bother, just used common sense around other people.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

yeah i ride them all the time (Gower) tbh i didnt realise that people had conflict with this until i started coming on here. maybe its just cos the welsh are nice 😉

seriously though, its not a trail centre, ride as if there is a small child round every bend. give way to everyone and don’t forget to smile and say hello to everyone

postierich
    Free Member

Was engaging in cheeky riding all last week great riding from Constatine beach aound Trevose Head to Stepper Hill opposite Polzeath great riding plenty of walkers but all cheerfull 🙂

kayak23

Rode from Ilfracombe to Woolacombe this weekend. Was extremely courteous to everyone, had a fantastic ride, and was blown away by just how friendly and smiley all the walkers I encountered were.
    Makes a change from the grumpy, angry bar stewards on the midlands canals and bridleways…

yunki
    Free Member

ah, go on then..

matt22
    Free Member

Kayak23 Thats my usual ride, do you live in Ilfracombe.

And to respond to the OP I ride anywhere put I use common sense, I left Baggy point alone the other day as it had quite a few walkers on it and I only ride watersmeet in Lynmouth after 18:00hrs as the ramblers are gone. I put walkers on the back foot by being overly freindly most of them comment on how you must be fit to ride the bikes up the hills and so on, a trail centre is opening in a few weeks so that should keep me away from the walkers

postierich
    Free Member

Was engaging in cheeky riding all last week great riding from Constatine beach aound Trevose Head to Stepper Hill opposite Polzeath great riding plenty of walkers but all cheerfull 🙂

Houns

Yes, some nice bits between Woolacombe and ilfracombe. There’s a nice footpath from back of bull point down to shoreline

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nice one fellas good to know I wouldn’t be made an outcast by the local riders. I’m now thoroughly looking forward to going out early doors. Some of it looks great fun, must mind the edge tho 😯

cloudnine
    Free Member

Serial coast path rider 👿

PrinceJohn

Was surprisingly quiet today (although knowing what areas get proper busy helps to avoid the crowd..)

kayak23

matt22 – Member
    Kayak23 Thats my usual ride, do you live in Ilfracombe.

Sadly not. Just down for the bank holiday visiting a friend there. Great ride, but quite a few steps to carry up 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

A few pcs from last weeks ride

DSCF3958[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

DSCF3950[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

matt22
    Free Member

Kayak23 it can be a fair hike a bike in some places, try watersmeet at lynmouth in the evening next time your down

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Riding coastal (foot)paths?’ is closed to new replies.