Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Riding at zone 2 hr rates
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

whats the percentage of Zone 2 in that article?

Don’t think it mentioned percentages and I don’t have the article to hand.

PS are you really sure you need to work on endurance?

Possibly not but I wanted to start somewhere.

Zone 3 feels a far more realistic aim for me.

I’m with you on that njee20 at 150pbm I’m not putting a lot of effort in at all and coule easily whistle a happy tune. May just spend January working on cadence and forget about hr for the moment.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Question – where can I go to get LT and V02 max etc… properly tested? And do they deal with average Joes, rather than honed atheletes? Southampton based – recommendations appreciated!

Uni’s are often a good bet. Solent may be more sporty than Soton Uni itself.

winchester uni (king alf’s) has the kit. not sure if you can get on it though… 😀 let us know if what you find oiut. i know several people interested.

iainc

Gary – I have tried repeatedly to stay in Zone 2 on the slog from Jackton up through Eaglesham and over the Moor to the 77 – cannae do it 😳

Gary_M
    Free Member

Zone 2 up through Eaglesham and over the moor is nigh on impossible in zone 2, I can’t even stay in zone 2 when I drive it. 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

why wouldnt you want to ride a 40 mile commute every day?

mine is only 14 miles each way and I would ride it every day if I could. I only get to do it during the school holidays.

I need to get on to this zone-2 malarky, I find it almost impossible to ride at anything other than 85% / 90% max.. which takes its toll after a while.

mudshark
    Free Member

I have the mag here.

Zone 2 – 65 to 75%

My average on a club run (road) is at the top of that range or just into zone 3. Long stretches on the flat will be at about my average but I can’t ride up a hill without trying my hardest (I blame Stava!).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“which takes its toll after a while”

That is one of the main points in staying in zone 2, in my limited knowledge, it allows you to train every day without knackering yourself.

Personnal I think its a bit of a waste of time to the OP when he’s already doing sooo many miles a week.

In fact you could argue that he should cut back on the commuting and throw a more focused harder interval session into his week ??

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well percentahe wise I don’t suppose I’m far off as this morning my average hr was 78% of max.

In fact you could argue that he should cut back on the commuting and throw a more focused harder interval session into his week ??

Yeh you could be right. I’m trying to stick to riding to work Monday, Wednesday, Friday at the moment but that doesn’t always work out as this week could be Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. I want to ride tomorrow as its supposed to be icy on Friday morning, but if it isn’t icy I’ll ride.

warton
    Free Member

the thing is, its impossible to stay 65-75% for an entire long ride, short sharp hills always take you over. My last few rides have been an avarage of about 68-70% which I’m happy enough with TBH.

Gary_M
    Free Member

short sharp hills always take you over

I think the suggestion in the cycling plus article was to get off and walk on any hills that take you over zone 2. Oh the shame!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

In fact you could argue that he should cut back on the commuting and throw a more focused harder interval session into his week

Not quite the same but for the past 18 months I’ve mainly been riding road and after having a *metabolic test done I discovered my base level was good. What has suffered though is speed and power so this is the main focus of my training now but still not neglecting my base fitness.

**My training this week is; Tuesday – speed intervals, Wed – 1.5hr steady Z2, Thurs – speed intervals, Fri – rest. Sat – long 3hr steady with hard Z4 for the last 30 mins with hills, Sun – Similar to Sat. This will change on a week by week basis.

*see previous post
    ** Have hired a coach to help me with a structured training plan.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Riding at zone 2 hr rates’ is closed to new replies.