• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by rob2.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ridgeway rides or any similar long XCish loops out from central Oxford
  • dsb181
    Free Member

Help!
    I’ve been riding road for the last few months since my move to Oxford, bar a few whips round Shotover Woods full loop my hardtail has been feeling left out.

Anybody suggest any good rides in the area?

drofluf
    Free Member

Lots of great stuff off the Ridgeway, not the most technical perhaps. Just grab a map and plan a loop!

badnewz
    Free Member

I had a dream about riding Shotover last night – I still love that loop!
    As with drofluf, start with Ridgeway and go from there.

nerd
    Free Member

As above: the Ridgeway itself is pretty boring but there’s plenty of stuff off the Ridgeway that is good fun.
    This is a decent loop:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/108495486

dsb181
    Free Member

Shotover is fantastic on a weeknight, I really enjoy riding that full loop until your legs can’t take it anymore.
    I’ve not strayed from the actual bridleway yet but I am aware there are some nice sections that have been build.

Thanks for the link nerd. I’m fishing through strava now also looking for a loop from close to Didcot because I could just jump on a train there.

bradley
    Free Member

Hiya Dsb. I live in Oxford and am willing to venture out with you. I know a really nice ride over at Christmas commons I’ve done a few times I’d be willing to drive us to. Also got a booklet with about 40 rides around the Chilterns I wanna have a go at…

For a bit more of a ride from the door thing I know a 1.5-2hr loop at Boars hill we can ride too from Oxford town centre.

Email in profile if you’re up for it jus lemme know.

rob2
    Free Member

Get the train to cholsey or goring and head out from there. Some good routes . I’m in cholsey 🙂 has a nice bike friendly cafe with cake too !

jkomo

I wouldn’t mind joining.
    I’m not getting any off road either.

adsh
    Free Member

A lot of good stuff from Goring train station. No substitute for a big OS map and pen. Grims Ditch and Wormesley are very good.

br
    Free Member

tbh Just buy the 1:25000 OS maps for the surrounding areas, mark up the BW’s and get exploring.

dsb181
    Free Member

Thank you all, keen to do some adventuring!
    Where is said cafe in Cholsey?

grilla
    Free Member

Lots of good but not overly technical riding from Christmas Common, Stokenchurch area, it’s really beautiful at the moment. Send me a message if you want a guide.

bradley
    Free Member

Dsb – I emailed you about riding this afternoon, did you receive it?

Grilla – I’d be up for some more riding around CC. Perhaps along with jkomo we could make a day of it with all 4 of us…?

dsb181
    Free Member

That sounds good to me.

Just mailed you Bradley regarding riding today, if anybody else is about for a spin too?

rob2
    Free Member

Cafe is right in the middle just up from the station . Not open today but has bike mags and stuff – but there is another cafe in goring just on the bridge. Nice too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ridgeway rides or any similar long XCish loops out from central Oxford’ is closed to new replies.