Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ride With Brad tommorow
  • brant
    Free Member

I’m doing the 160km route – hope to be heading out about 7ish with a steady group.

Anyone else off?

brant
    Free Member

Well that was good fun. Nobody here do it?

ChrisE
    Free Member

I did that route too. What a fantastic day. Brad was at the Wray feed-stop while we were there and what a brilliant man. Got a photo with him there and he signed my bike frame so I’m the happiest bunny in the world.

He genuinly just wanted to be out amonst every day riders and he beamed from ear to ear all the time i saw him.

C

terrahawk
    Free Member

It was very good day out, that. the post-ride meal was a bit ‘funsize’ though 😉

mt
    Free Member

your funsize meal will help you look a bit more like Wiggins.

terrahawk
    Free Member

ahh good point!

unfortunately I bought a burger from the van next door to the funsize food tent 😳

craigf
    Free Member

I was there, well, you know this brant seeing as we said hello at the post Wray feed ‘confusion’ stop before we jumped on to the ‘wiggins group’ (please someone tell me that somewhere there was a tv picture with those words written in the corner- well there was in my head anyway) 🙂 nice to bump in to you, and rather funny seeing mountain bike folk I know as the first person I saw when I arrived in the event field was jo burt 🙂

I had forgotten what an absolute brute that route is for the final 20 miles or so. Very tough, but well pleased to have seen the great man and ridden in his wheel for a few miles. 20 blokes killing themselves to keep up as he spins an easy gear. I know it’s all relative, but that was awesome. Means I have been towed along by the Brownlee brothers and now Wiggo this year 😀

Good event I thought, pretty slick, and looked like there was plenty of family stuff to do at event HQ as a stumbled around incoherently at the finish… Bloody hard ride tho!

globalti
    Free Member

I was out with a neighbour for a Sunday pootle and we rode in the opposite direction to some of the short route so we saw hundreds of riders of all shapes and sizes, twice, including the Hope teams. Looked well organised with big arrows at all the junctions and plenty of marshalls. I forgot my carpet tacks though!

They were doing all our local nasty hills including Jeffrey Hill, a real killer.

MrSparkle

My lad won 2 places so me and the Mrs did the 100k route. Nice tough route. I only glimpsed Wiggo when he set off and as he came in but he had a word with my wife out on the route.
    Anyone else ‘enjoy’ the lovely Cola gels? :0/

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Good day out,well organised, I’ll do it again if it’s on next year.
    I did the 100km route & thought the last 20 odd miles were really tough.No wonder Wiggo gets up those alpine climbs when he’s doing these for base training!

ononeorange

Daft question I know, but where was this ride?

ononeorange

Thanks

theteaboy
    Free Member

I did the 160.

Rode with him for about 12 miles of it. He was really happy to chat and the roadside support was ace but the fella riding along one-handed while trying to take photos nearly caused an almighty pile-up!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I was supposed to be doing the 160km with notquitegingerRod who normally kicks my ass, so trained properly for 2 months, tapered down and then got a stomach bug on sat that lasted for 48 hours, so spent the day in bed.

Never mind, there will be plenty more chances to ride with a British TDF and Olympic gold medal winner just after they do the double.

😐

MrSparkle

Pretty happy wi’ that. 10th on 100k route.

twinklydave

Spent 2hrs riding round biting my tongue to stop me shouting “Get off MY hills you bunch of ingrates”, then saw how many people were gawping/stopping to take pictures of the scenery and spent the following 4hrs feeling smug that I get to ride round there all the time 😀

Didn’t see Brad, sadly, but being cheered on by whole villages right the way round the route made up for it. Ace.

Only downside to the day (other than not seeing Mr Wiggins!) was that the catering tent had run out of bacon when I got back 😥

brant
    Free Member

You did very well, on a bike that cost less than my wheels Dave 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

terrahawk – Member
    It was very good day out, that. the post-ride meal was a bit ‘funsize’ though

was that the catering tent had run out of bacon when I got back

unsurprising seeing the organising company

glupton1976
    Free Member

Pretty happy wi’ that. 10th on 100k route.

Sandbagger.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

unsurprising seeing the organising company

To be fair to PE, general feedback on twitter has been that it was well organised. Be supportive of local events, spread the love man. You need a few days in the airing cupboard.

Maltloaf

I thought the whole thing was really well done. Just a shame for all the families who had come along for the cycle festival that it tipped it down!

I was able to hang onto the ‘wiggins group’ for a while and that made my day.

Did anyone see the smart 4 x 4 in the ditch on the way in to the finish? opps!

twinklydave

Ha ha, yeah, I saw that on the ride home. There were several local farmers gathered round having a right laugh at/about it 🙂

MrSparkle

glupton – I had to look that up.
    “Definition for sandbagger:Web definitions: someone who deceives you about his true nature or intent in order to take advantage of you.”

Er, reet. I promise not to take advantage of you (sorry, I’m spoken for) and I was pretty pleased. Wouldn’t you have been? Only found out I’d got a free entry on Friday night too. 😛

brant
    Free Member

Did you not see the guy with horrible facial injuries sat against the fence just after the 4×4 in the ditch.
    Not sure what happened but I think it was related.

theotherjonv

describing Brad’s sideboards as horrible facial injuries is a bit much.

[genuinely hope the person involved wasn’t badly hurt]

Maltloaf

Didn’t see him, just the driver. Hope the individual is okay. not sure they were related.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I had a fantastic ride. It was a bit nip and tuck since the current Mrs ChrisE was rushed into A&E at 10pm on the Saturday night and we didn’t get away til after 2am but I managed to get to bed at 3am, up at 5am and had the best day for ages. Very lucky to get close to such a top guy who just wanted to ride his bike along with other cyclists. He had a huge smile all day everytime I saw him. I’m the grey-haired old git on the pics and yes I did carry a marker pen just in case. What a star he was.

I must have been near you Brant as I saw the Discovery in teh ditch, the guy sat by the fence and as I passed the paramedic car was about 200m from getting to him.

C

ChrisE
    Free Member

Did anyone find out what happend to the guy who fell off?

C

big_n_daft
    Free Member

To be fair to PE, general feedback on twitter has been that it was well organised. Be supportive of local events,

they don’t pay their debts

You need a few days in the airing cupboard

I didn’t know Northumberland could be described as warm and sunny 😉

vorlich
    Free Member

Brad who?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I didn’t know Northumberland could be described as warm and sunny

the cottage has large hot water tank in a cupboard, she’ll fit in there.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ride With Brad tommorow’ is closed to new replies.