Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Ride London 2016
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’d probably take being near the start too. I wouldn’t fancy riding across London and being sure I could accurately get to the right place on time.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Has the club entry opened for applications yet? Ive been keeping an eye out but cant find anything.

gringo

Last year I got dropped off at Blackheath then cycled through Greenwich park, though the foot tunnel (walked) then on to the start. It didn’t take that long. On the way home from the finish, I cycled to Battersea park then got picked up from there. All very stress free 🙂

IHN

Last year we stayed in the East End, that way it was a 15/20 minute ride to the start (following the hoardes of others) then about half an hour ride back from the Mall. Worked out well, in fact about to book the same hotel again…

njee20
    Free Member

Just had my official “hard luck” email, which also says that I volunteered to donate my entry fee their charity and I get a jersey as a reward for my “truly generous gesture”. I’m virtually certain I didn’t do that! I remember the tick box and remember not selecting it! Anyone else? Not that I don’t want to donate the money (although I’d choose my own charity) just feels a bit devious.

Of course my confirmation email of the entry doesn’t say anything, so I suspect I’ve got a fetching jersey that I’ll never wear winging it’s way to me in a size I’ve not chosen 😕

akira

Yeah my email thanks me for donating my entry, cant remember if I did or not though. Think it gets you on the waiting list for cancelled places though.

SamB
    Free Member

I just got the same email and definitely didn’t donate my entry! Free consolation jersey I guess 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Meh, I’d sooner have my £60 back and one fewer rag for the garage! One presumes it’s an admin cock-up, be interesting to see if they do follow through with it though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did one closed road sportive – don’t fancy another. More mayhem than Mayhem.

If you feel bad about asking for sponsorship to complete it, do what I did. Pick a target completion time and ask people to donate per minute you come in under. Gives you a reason to train hard and the satisfaction of relieving more people of their money for charity by your graft. Then add a penalty clause saying you’ll match donations if you come in over and hope people generously cough up anyway.

FB-ATB

Did it last year for the charity that provides therapy for my son. I’ve been asked by the trustees if I’d do it again this year, but feel it would be hard asking people for donations again……

jonjones262
    Free Member

I had an email saying NO then correction Email an hour saying…..NO

Hopefully it’s correcting that fact I didn’t sign up to donate my entry.

TiRed

Has the club entry opened for applications yet?

Not yet announced. Will be coordinating our entries and ballot again. We’ve been very successful riding for smaller charities as a team as well.

crazy-legs

I got an email saying thanks for donating your entry fee then shortly afterwards a correction saying I hadn’t donated it!

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, ditto!

singletrackmind

My club has a ‘ballot’ or ‘draw’ , but with 300 + memebers it is a lottery to get in that way . Especially as the ‘draw’ is done behind closed doors, and the one of the comittee posted on Facebook ‘ Oh , don’t worry ****** , You are bound to picked in the draw’
    Really , what kind of draw is that then?

atlaz
    Free Member

Did one closed road sportive – don’t fancy another. More mayhem than Mayhem.

The Belgian ones tend to be pretty civilised with riders who don’t try to take selfies coasting downhill with people passing them at high speed taking themselves and the other riders out. Or club **** pushing past inexperienced riders who panic and hit road furniture. Or people who think that a sportive is the perfect time to learn to ride with others and clip their wheels dumping them or the other person onto the road. Not that this stuff happens in the UK of course 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    Oh , don’t worry ****** , You are bound to picked in the draw’
    Really , what kind of draw is that then?

FIFA CC, right?

cheekyget
    Free Member

Bah!!…didn’t get in either.
    But my mate has got in 3 times out of 4…..it’s a banking fix

Idea tho??……what would happen if I join in this year using all my numbers and tags from last year????

I mean who checks ??……..100miles of closed roads only come round once a year don’t they??…lol

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m in, quite surprised to be honest, did’nt get london marathon (2nd time of trying) though so try again next year for that. so thats exmoor explorer out and also may have to now forgo the 3 peaks as well which i was hoping to do again this year to mark my 50th – i did it first time to mark my 40th.

now trying to figure out logistics from the far west of cornwall, one thing for sure its ging to be an expensive sunday bike ride. i reckon my best bet is a campsite somewhere around the olympic park and ride in.

oh, and i’d better start cycling properly again. i’ve hardly touched a bike for the past 4 or so years since i started running and swimming.

jam-bo

oh, and i’d better start cycling properly again. i’ve hardly touched a bike for the past 4 or so years since i started running and swimming.

i wouldn’t worry too much. If your used to riding somewhere with hills then its a breeze..

mrjmt
    Free Member

Bit strange, given that when you get a place you then have to log in and pay your entry fee?!?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I live in west Cornwall jam bo, we don’t have flat, just endless short sharp hills.

jam-bo

I generally average 13-15mph round Dartmoor and west Devon. I averaged just under 20mph through a hurricane without too much difficulty.

jam-bo

Just discovered my brother in law has just got in 4/4 on the ballot. Not sure how he does it.

And I’m in the magazine. Centre of the Bliss advert. Adidas wrist band, stupid grin/grimace….

soundninjauk

No place for me in the ballot again. I’m 0/3 now. Ah well, not much to be done about it.

IHN

i reckon my best bet is a campsite somewhere around the olympic park

A campsite, in central(ish) London. Good luck with that.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There are a few campsites! Crystal Palace is the closest (give them a ring), one at Lee Valley (ride in down Lee River), Laleham (ride in along the Thames).

IHN

Oh, fair enough. I’ll wind my neck in…

nedrapier

Deadline of this Friday if you want to confirm/pay for your ballot place.

Nearly missed it myself!

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Ride London 2016’ is closed to new replies.