Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Rhino poacher eaten by lions after being trampled to death by elephants!
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

This is karma at its finest.
    Sorry I can’t post a link up because I’m rubbish, but maybe someone else will be kind enough to?

fasthaggis

Pay back time

There ya go.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So rhino poacher gets no sympathy but girl who goes off to live with IS fighters who kill people and then has a kid and wants to come back when the going gets tough does?
    Hmmm.

BruceWee

I also enjoy gloating whenever I hear about criminals getting killed trying to commit their crimes. Housebreakers falling off buildings, arsonists getting burned alive, tax evaders in freak paper shredder accidents, etc. The more ironic the better as far as I’m concerned.

Let’s celebrate the deaths of all law-breakers!

Sandwich

Eddie you know the difference between a child and an adult? That.

ernielynch

Yeah, and what about Piers Morgan? No one has any sympathy for him.

martinhutch

Yes, but how can we get the elephant and the lion into the GMB studios without anyone getting suspicious?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Rhino poacher eaten by lions….

Give it a day or two for the lions digestive system to do it’s thang and you can indulge yourself in some schatenfreude.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Eddie you know the difference between a child and an adult? That.

And do you know what pressures may have been on the poacher? #THAT TOO

kayla1
    Free Member

Give it a day or two for the lions digestive system to do it’s thang and you can indulge yourself in some schatenfreude.

Hut.

sarawak
    Free Member

A brilliant story. Just wonderful.

slowoldman

So is he coming back as a rat?

tonto
    Free Member

As a rhino, surely.

CountZero

And do you know what pressures may have been on the poacher?

Yes, the desire to earn lots of money by slaughtering rare and endangered animals.
    Se also: fur trade and wild big cats, whaling, pangolins…

taxi25
    Free Member

I wouldn’t wish a horrible death on anyone, poacher or not. I’d wish he’d seen the error of his ways and given up on the terrible buisness, howether unlikely that would be. But his death was purely a result of his own misadventure, not something I’ll loose sleep over.

DezB
    Free Member

If you spend your time comparing every story with another unrelated, random story, how do you decide whether to care about anything?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

If the west hadn’t helped contribute to the instability in Africa, there would be less poaching. Poaching levels drop when peoples standards of living go up, it’s all very well gloating over the poacher getting trampled to death when your kids go to a decent school and have food security.

alric
    Free Member

poaching goes up because there is a demand for ivory, pangolin scales, shark fins, with gullible rich folk paying stupid money. How do you stop them?

ernielynch

Send in the elephants?

seadog101

The lions must have been desperate to chow down on something quite so unpleasant.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Hopefully the elephants didn’t quite do the job, and mr lion did!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

poaching goes up because there is a demand for ivory, pangolin scales, shark fins, with gullible rich folk paying stupid money. How do you stop them

Yes.

But like the drug trade, people don’t tend to engage in criminality if they have a decent standard of living. More so if alternatives, eg tourism provide better alternatives.

seosamh77
    Free Member

poaching goes up because there is a demand for ivory, pangolin scales, shark fins, with gullible rich folk paying stupid money. How do you stop them?

Industrial elephant farming?

taxi25
    Free Member

But like the drug trade, people don’t tend to engage in criminality if they have a decent standard of living. More so if alternatives, eg tourism provide better alternatives.

This would be true to a certain extent, but some people want far more than any normal even well paid job could provide.

“On the black market in South Africa, the horn of the white rhino sells for up to $3,000 a pound, according to Groenewald, but on Asian black markets it wholesales for five to 10 times that, and retail prices can go up ”

A Rhino horn can weigh 4lbs $12,000 per horn is a huge incentive, especially in Africa where average wages are a fraction of what they are in the West. My guess is as long as the demand exists there’ll always be poachers regardless of local economic conditions.

epicyclo

Dashed decent of the elephants to tenderise the lion’s meal for him…

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Agreed. I’m with Ricky Gervais on this.
    We should start a tradition that ground poachers cock cures all ills.

Wheras this is whataboutery at its finest:

So rhino poacher gets no sympathy but girl who goes off to live with IS fighters who kill people and then has a kid and wants to come back when the going gets tough does?
    Hmmm.

BruceWee

I am interested in finding out at what point gloating over a criminal dying stops being tasteless.

A drug dealer dying of a drug overdose?

A burglar breaking his neck falling off a building while trying to rob it?

Someone who crashes and dies while doing 33 mph in a 30 zone?

A red light jumper getting run over?

Maybe STW can come up with the definitive list of what crimes are reprehensible enough that it’s OK to go ‘I’m glad you died a horrific death, ****.’

cynic-al
    Free Member

The gloating is interesting given how left this place generally is.

I suppose it’s not quite like supporting the death penalty but there are similarities.

See also: bike thieves.

kerley
    Free Member

Killing animals is unnecessary full stop. You don’t need to eat meat, you don’t need to use rhino horn etc,. Not sure why people seem to think killing one animal is bad (rhino) whereas killing another animal (cow) is absolutely fine as you fancy a burger. And likewise why someone who kills rhinos is less worthy of living than someone who kills cows.

DezB
    Free Member

killing another animal (cow) is absolutely fine as you fancy a burger

Uh-huh. That how it works eh? You guys kill me. (But just for sport, obvs)

Nico
    Free Member

Set the pangolins on the Chinese (the FO or the Daily Mail will foot the bill for pangolin transport) and then the demand will be taken out of the equation. Similarly with cocaine users in the posh parts of that London.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m just impressed that the lions took hos trousers off before eating him, unless they had other ideas of course, the filthy animals… #necrophillialions

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

A cow being killed gets used for food and leather. A rhino is killed, has its horn lobbed off and the rest is left. No excuse for that.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

And yes, sometimes I do fancy a burger.

kerley
    Free Member

A cow being killed gets used for food and leather. A rhino is killed, has its horn lobbed off and the rest is left. No excuse for that.

So the problem people have here is that the whole animal is not used? And because of that it is funny if someone is killed by an animal whereas if they had used the whole animal it wouldn’t be funny?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Similarly with cocaine users in the posh parts of that London.

Bit of a myth that it’s solely the middle classes that drive cocaine consumption.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

This would be true to a certain extent, but some people want far more than any normal even well paid job could provide.

“On the black market in South Africa, the horn of the white rhino sells for up to $3,000 a pound, according to Groenewald, but on Asian black markets it wholesales for five to 10 times that, and retail prices can go up ”

A Rhino horn can weigh 4lbs $12,000 per horn is a huge incentive, especially in Africa where average wages are a fraction of what they are in the West. My guess is as long as the demand exists there’ll always be poachers regardless of local economic conditions.

How much of the black market price actually goes to the poacher? I have read 5k per KG. How many KG can an average poacher be expected to reap in a year? What is that profit then used to fund? If it is to fund insurgency, terrorism and war lords then those high profits are still very much related to economic development. Improved economic development also leads to better funding of law enforcement and consequently less law enforcement corruption, which drives up prices for suppliers.

Do you see anyone poaching Grizzly Bear cock in Canada?

No.

Because people don’t feel the need to risk being mauled by big **** off bears or getting shot up by mounties for 5k.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Killing animals is unnecessary full stop. You don’t need to eat meat, you don’t need to use rhino horn etc,. Not sure why people seem to think killing one animal is bad (rhino) whereas killing another animal (cow) is absolutely fine as you fancy a burger. And likewise why someone who kills rhinos is less worthy of living than someone who kills cows.

Well, for starters cows aren’t at the borderline of extinction yet. So from non-hippy, purely utilitarian perspective, you have to weigh up whether humans like Rhino horn more than they like having Rhinos around or whether the loss of Rhino is an ecological or scientific disaster that threatens human development or security.

perchypanther
    Free Member

On the black market in South Africa, the horn of the white rhino sells for up to $3,000 a pound,

Bloody Rhinos.

Always charging more.

funkmasterp

There are a lot more cows than there are wild rhinos could be part of the reason it upsets people. I draw the line at not laughing at death when the person doesn’t die under piss funny or ironic circumstances. If you can’t see the humour in this I honestly pity you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Rhino poacher eaten by lions after being trampled to death by elephants!’ is closed to new replies.