Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • reverb vs GD vs command post
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

for those that have them could they list the pro’s and cons of each, and then I can have an idea about which is besterest and most reliable..

Nonsense
    Free Member

Reverb – faultless for six months. None of the hassle of cable operation.

ruscle
    Free Member

+1 for what nonsense said also looks the best.

carlphillips
    Free Member

was pretty much thinking along the same lines, just need to save the funds now!!

bagpuss
    Free Member

Hi Carl. 12 months on a command post, serviced once by Certini. Faultless. Only change I’ve made was to swap the original lever for the newer design. When doing that I removed the noodle and put a couple of middleburn in liners in place.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Command post here. Had it a year. No problems, easy to service. Would probably get a reverb if I was buying a new one though.

Wondering what hassle people have had with cable operation?

bol

Gravity dropper here. No slop, 27.2 diameter so fits anything. Reliable and easily serviced. Not pretty.

carlphillips
    Free Member

my riding pal has the command post…also faultless over a year or so….if I went for one of them, having Certini nearby would help if things go wrong, but, I like the look of the Reverb and the switcharoo thingy on the bars….ummmm decisions decisions…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The new one from Giant looks the biz and a bit cheaper than the Reverb

Giant Switch seatpost released

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Gravity dropper here. Not touched it in the five years I’ve had it and it still works perfectly.

Apparently not pretty, but I can’t see it when I sit on it!

carlphillips
    Free Member

around £160 which is more palatable for my wallet..will do some research.

with the GD’s does the 1″ drop setting actually get much use or is it normally fully up or down all the time? 1″ doesn’t seem worth bothering about?
    I like the GD’s because of the mechanical nature and ease of replacing parts as they wear out, but man alive they are fugly!!!

Gary_C

Gravity Dropper Classic – faultless for five & a half years. None of the hassle of leaky hydraulics.

juan
    Free Member

GD, very little parts inside, hence very little to go wrong.

Northwind

Nonsense – Member

None of the hassle of cable operation

People keep saying that, but what hassle is this that you speak of? Both of mine are cable operation- as are all my gears and some of my brakes 😉 And all work fine.

OTOH lots of people seem to have trouble bleeding Reverbs.

ruscle
    Free Member

Reverb post can be had for £190 from Hibike delivered and in under a week, all me and my mates have got ours from their.
    Bleeding the reverb post is a sinch and only needed as you get a long hose length so need to shorten to required length, no different than any disc brake.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

1″ drop used all the time. Fully up for fire road and climb, 1″ for techy rolling singletrack, fully down just for proper steep stuff. Pretty sure if you got an infinite adjustment like a reverb, command post, joplin etc it would spend most of its life at low levels of drop.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

My reverb broke after 10 rides, stopped holding air. Fixed now. Hose coming out of the upper moving part is a PITA.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for the 1″ drop. 80-90% of riding. Fully up for big climbs, fully down for gnarly, 1″ down for general riding. With the Command Post it indexes to these positions really easily.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@ nickjb so if i went for the 5″ multi drop post with the 1st drop being 2″ instead of 1″, do you reckon it’d be too much for general razzing around…

hartcliffeburner

Reverb is awesome when it works, mine has blown twice already, it just stopped holding air whilst riding and if you tried to pump it back up it would leak straight out again. Fishers have been good at sorting it out though to their credit.

kimbers

ive had a gd for a few months and been faultless so far

pros
    not very heavy
    i beam compatible
    survived a week in the alps
    dead easy to take apart
    no sign of slop yet
    27.2 so fits my frame!

cons,
    in use its a bit clunky

i too use the 1″ drop quite a lot for razzing about

nickjb
    Free Member

so if i went for the 5″ multi drop post with the 1st drop being 2″ instead of 1″, do you reckon it’d be too much for general razzing around…

I was very sceptical that about the usefulness of the drop options as it didn’t sound like enough but the 1″ is perfect for me. Its high enough to still pedal but it feels out the way enough for XC riding. When its gets very techy I just drop it all the way. Maybe try riding your current post at 1″ or 2″ below a good climbing height to see how it feels

carlphillips
    Free Member

GD do a 30.9 without a shim now so would be looking at that i reckon.
    I like the idea that if (when) something does go wrong I can sort it out myself in the garage and not have to post back etc etc
    The GD is looking favourite so far just need to sort out which one i need, turbo multi I think but will have to measure up my existing post to see what length to get.

cheers nick, i drop raise my saddle constantly but never by just a tad so may try it tomorrow at some point see how it goes..

sweepy
    Free Member

I might be talking out of my backside here, but wasn’t there some issue with the GD’d that meant you weren’t supposed to use the 1″ drop position?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘reverb vs GD vs command post’ is closed to new replies.