Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Reverb compresses when I sit on it?
  • mrchrist

Just bleed my reverb and noticed that when I sit on it the post drops about 1cm without pushing the button. It about 16 months old and I thinking about it, it was doing this before I bleed it.

Is is **** or can I fix myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Chers,
    Christian

ndthornton
    Free Member

Diet?

legend
    Free Member

By any chance have you lifted the bike by the saddle when the post was down?

lipseal
    Free Member

I assume it’s got a saddle fitted to it?

iBaa
    Free Member

Is the pressure set correctly?

johnhe

Mmmm. If I lift my bike by the saddle, my reverb extends by a small amount. But I think it contracts before I sit down.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Legend… what – errr… if someone had… a bit.

mrchrist

Yep have done that a few times, hike a bike and all that. Has that **** it?

robarnold
    Free Member

My new one did this in May, only 4 weeks in to me owning it. Sent it back to SRAM who fixed it, stating ‘Air Gap’ as the cause with a whole host of seals and parts replaced.

It worked for a bit then did exactly the same thing again four weeks later. Sent it back again and got a brand spanking new one a week later.

The only thing it could be apart from completely foo-barred is that the pressure is down. Check it’s 250psi or otherwise a trip back for warranty beckons

mrchrist

*very embarreses* how do I check the air, where is the value?

Looked in google (and the post) but couldn’t figure it out?

fadda

Valve is in the bottom of the post…

legend
    Free Member

unklehomered – Member
    Legend… what – errr… if someone had… a bit.

mrchrist – Member
    Yep have done that a few times, hike a bike and all that. Has that **** it?

Had a chat with the Sram guys at a recent race. Pulling the saddle up is likely to bugger the post a bit as (iirc) it can pull air past the seal, resulting in this dead spot when fully extended. Luckily, at the moment, they will cover warranty claims for this (suppose there’s no warning anywhere telling users not to do it)

Stranga
    Free Member

Seen 2 like this, dropping about 10mm when sat on, both returned to Fishers under warranty and new post received about a week later.

mrchrist

Excellent will call my lbs to get that process started.

patriotpro
    Free Member

It knackers the post if you pull up on the seat!?!?!

SRAM missed that part of product development then eh…Poor that it happens but good that they are sorting them I suppose.

andyl
    Free Member

IIRC (can’t have speakers on in the office) the SRAM guy in this video says pulling up on the saddle won’t damage it:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag9tZESJMKs[/video]

MadPierre

Common problem after that sort of time of use (not caused by lifting the saddle). It’s a worn seal inside the post. Some air has managed to mix with the oil. A full service with new seals will fix it.

donal
    Free Member

Mine was doing the same. I checked the air pressure and it was very low. Topped it up to 250PSI and all good (for) now.

I had to store my bike with the seatpost compressed. Not sure if that would cause any issues.

legend
    Free Member

Mad Pierre – Member

Common problem after that sort of time of use (not caused by lifting the saddle).

So next time I see the Sram guys I should tell them they’re wrong?

jpacey
    Free Member

As donal said

mine was the same, dropping 1cm with my weight on the saddle. checked the pressure and it was down to 150psi. topped it up and no probs since.

hope its that easy for you

HindlePie
    Free Member

The post is definitely faulty if it squidges. Mine started doing that after a couple of months, and has just been replaced under warranty by fisher. Had a complete mare getting Evans to replace it after the first replacement came back damaged and didn’t want to do anything about it. Got there in the end though.

MadPierre

legend – Member
    So next time I see the Sram guys I should tell them they’re wrong?

You can tell them their colleague in the video above says they are wrong!

I’ve seen a couple of older posts (one was mine) that the problem happened on and neither post has been pulled up. It was just worn seals and sorted with new seals and service.

lardman
    Free Member

So, has anyone given fishers a post to sort, that they might have got from another ‘foreign’ shop?

My post is exhibiting the same set of issues as the OP.

Stranga
    Free Member

IME Fishers/Sram will sort your post even if you bought it from Germany etc as long as the post is still within warranty period (its a worldwide warranty), although the warranty procedure will have to be processed through a Sram dealer/LBS.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Reverb compresses when I sit on it?’ is closed to new replies.