Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • returning to the UK – where would you live ?
  • brassneck

Well that BBC test got it right in that London would be hell for me but its suggestion of Hampshire as best was pretty crap. I hate the place.

Fighting talk. Though to be fair Hampshire does have a quite variable niceness curve, Gosport isn’t really the same as the view out of my window right now.

kerley
    Free Member

Did the test and where I live already gives me 79%, almost as high as the best option of 84%.

Bit depressing really seeing as I am surrounded by a load of self entitled horse riding brexiters. Says more about me than I wanted to know….

user-removed
    Free Member

We’re selling up in NE England and moving back home to Aberdeen. Looking forward to being able to cycle out of the city within 20 minutes but not looking forward to the insane house prices. We’ll be lucky to get £80K for our three bedroomed house here and lucky to buy a two bedroomed place in Aberdeen for less than double that amount.

I have very mixed feelings about it tbh – it wouldn’t be my first choice! Can be pretty grim up there in Winter (but where we are now is pretty grim all year round in terms of lack of culture, architecture, work prospects etc). But the surrounding countryside is excellent and varied.

No choice now anyway as Mrs Removed has already moved up with Little Removed so we need this place gone ASAP – it’s lonely by yersel’!

whitestone
    Free Member

Somewhat simplistically where you move will depend on what you want to do when you live there. Years ago a friend listed all the places that he went climbing and worked out where was most convenient for them – Kendal as it happened.

I’m from The Lakes but as mentioned above it’s now so busy that it’s not pleasant much of the time – even twenty years ago you had to get to where you wanted before 9am and all the traffic got bad. I now live in the Skipton area: The Dales are on the doorstep; it’s about 75mins to Staveley; The Peak is a couple of hours; N. Wales and the Seven Stanes are 3hrs. The area’s pretty central really. Away from sport, despite living in a rural location (two other houses within a 400m radius), the local General Hospital is less than ten minutes away, there’s decent takeaways in the local village. There’s good train services to Leeds and Bradford.

chakaping
    Free Member

You need to live somewhere you can find work in a particular field?

If not, I don’t understand why you’d be thinking of switching from Scotland to England now.

Unless you’re excited at the prospect of the riches that are bound to follow Brexit of course.

martinhutch

I took the BBC test and got Market Rasen – whatever that is.

Coming up with that answer must be the equivalent of looking at an inkblot test and seeing your mother being murdered by Eddie Wareing.

SaxonRider

I live in South Wales and absolutely love it, but if I was to pick somewhere else, it would have to be, without a moment’s hesitation, Northumberland.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Interesting to see the number of votes for somewhere around Skipton/Dales area. It’s obviously not just my genius in seeing the potential here!

the_lecht_rocks

Interesting. Also having lived in Aberdeenshire most of my adult life, i loved it, other than a remoteness from major cities, sports events, etc.
    I like the borders too.
    Had lived in the lake District in my teens…..
    Having a choice I’d a good thing.
    I’ll look at Skipton.,.

poolman
    Free Member

Test gave me somewhere in midlands i have never heard of or have any intention of visiting.

I d aim for Hove, good jobs, genteel atmosphere, nice cafes, beaches, public transport to airport.

Sadly its near London prices as everyone else wants the same thing.

slowoldman

Hmm, Market Rasen for me too. At least I know where it is. Don’t fancy it though. Honorable mention for the Peak District which is more like it, though I too have been considering Skipton area.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I guess the thing to be careful with when looking into moving somewhere rural, is to try and get a feel for the locals. A friend moved to somewhere near Skipton, and has found that the locals tend to be people who have moved to their ‘pile in the country’ types, who are rather snobbish and materialistic (she lives in a cottage in the area), with the other people being farmers who are into hunting. Being a hippy animal loving type, she’s not got loads in common with the people she generally comes into contact with in her day to day life.

It’s sometimes harder to find people who are on the same wavelength when moving to somewhere rural, compared to a town or city etc.

I reckon if she’d moved to Skipton itself, her experience could have been different.

jekkyl

Sheffield. nice big city. close to the peak district. close to M1. has trail centres. Makes cotic bikes 😀 friendly people (on the whole) lots of green space and hills within the city. Has 2 failing football teams! well they’re not premiership.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Makes cotic bikes

What really, as in makes them?
    “Engineered in Great Britain”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

BBC test rubbish. Says best and worst places for me are both Lincolnshire. Am in reality happiest in the semi-wilds of the West Country

jekkyl

Ok, Cotic bikes are available to purchase in the city without travelling very far.

bob_summers

I always thought I’d go to Sheffield for reasons mentioned above. Test says Skipton, which is not a bad prediction since my first smalltown choice would be Kendal or thereabouts. Arbitrary though, there’s very little, if anything, tempting me back to the UK.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Skipton itself might not be ideal for a cyclist, routes into the dales are a little limited (both on and off road) though it’s not exactly poor… Of course we all have different priorities for facilities/schools/transport/jobs, there’s probably not much point trying to pick the one “best” place.

Personally I’ve found the locals to be very open, friendly and interesting, which was a bit of a surprise as I’m hardly the most social type myself.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Another shout for Sheffield – just moved there myself. retirement age looms in a few years and not much of a pension to look forward to.

I can ride to Wharncliffe, Greno, Parkwood Springs and out into The Peak in minutes. Part time work seems easily available. Beer’s cheap, only downside is the amount of litter lying about everywhere.

Love it!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘returning to the UK – where would you live ?’ is closed to new replies.