Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • retro mtbs that are ridden
  • kayla1
    Free Member

1x anything isn’t retro!

Maybe not for Johnny-come-latelys but I was 1×8 on my tiny 14″ Giant dual slalom wannabe bike BITD!. 40mm stems are nothing new either 😉

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Still ride my 1996 Stumpy fs hardtail  for commute duties, it’s ss now with rigid p2 fork but would happily  ride it off road still, mind you all my bikes are 26″

Was my 40th present to myself so can’t see me ever getting rid.

Saccades
    Free Member

98 Hahanna I saved from a skip – pub/family pootle bike. Will be one of the kids in few years.

redmex
    Free Member

Another Bontrager privateer owner here as well as an old beast from the east and a f400 cannondales, a kona explosif geen with the fluted tube on frame. Can’t bear to part with any of them

Two of them with proper xt thumbies

drlex
    Free Member

Idiotdogbrain

Spooky – that looks exactly like mine did 30 years ago! BioPace FTW!

epicyclo

Ride my 1998 1×1 Rat Ride regularly.

Its ability to take 3″ tyres or 2.8 650B tyres or 2.35″ 29er means it’s pretty versatile.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Retro? I’ll give you retro!

‘Trusty Rusty’ started like this in 1990….

Original Mk 1

Then this…

Mk 2

& this…

Mk 3

Then this…

Mk 4 near Rylstone

Followed by this…

Scotland, May 10

& currently this…

Camban trip, Sept 2014 034

Triggers brush hasn’t got a look in, the only two original tubes of the frame are the r/h seat & chainstays.

When/if it dies It’s going on the garage wall.

bob_summers

∆ Now that is something!

There’s a 94 Rocky Mountain Hammer frame in a random bike shop in Bordeaux, every time I pass I hope it’s been sold but it’s looking like I’ll have to buy it…

bedmaker

I have a ’97 Ibis Alibi in the shed.

I took it for a short spin this summer, it’s unspeakably horrible.

The roadie/XC race geometry of the era was just grim.

Horrible skinny SIDs on it too.  Bars must be all of 500mm wide.

murf
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’96 Kona Cinder Cone that I bought brand new. Now running 100mm travel Rockshox, 1×10, dropper post etc and it still rides well enough to do a few hundred singletrack miles a year 😄

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Idiotdogbrain

Spooky – that looks exactly like mine did 30 years ago! BioPace FTW!

When I picked it up a few weeks ago it was 100% original – still had 30yr old Specialized Ground Controls on, with the moulding nibs still present! Complete timewarp machine, couldn’t believe my luck.

ajantom

A good tip for a retro-mod bike, is that if you don’t like the sound of rim brakes in the wet (and killing rims!), but on the other hand don’t want to get disc tabs welded on, then modern drum brakes work surprisingly well.

The one on my IF is a for a screw on SS freewheel, but Sturmey also do Shimano compatible freewheel ones too.

epicyclo

ajantom

A good tip for a retro-mod bike … modern drum brakes work surprisingly well.

Agree, I have had them on my 1x1for the last 12 years.

earl_brutus

Still ride my 92 Kona lava dome. It’s been a singlespeed for the last 12 years with middleburn cranks hope Hubs and has still got its original bb and headset. They made stuff to last in those days!

jb72
    Free Member

My 1996 Orange C16R still gets ridden occasionally, other than the narrow bars it feels great.

tomparkin

If we’re counting 26″ and 2010 as retro, my 2008 mk 1 Soul is fair game I guess.

Up until it got somewhat relegated by a “more modern” 2011 Saracen Ariel it got ridden for all my riding, which is 90% local XC and natural trails. Fantastic bike 🙂

garage-dweller

I have a 1998 Schwinn Homegrown USA, which is currently dismantled. It is really light and very agile. With a 120mm stem and 680mm bars it was quite good for winter xc riding as a single speed or with an old 8speed setup.

The thing that caused me to pack it away was not geometry or handling characteristics but an absence of a disc option for the rear brake. The rear triangle used to clog like a **** around the v brake and stopping 90+kg of me and kit was challenging in full on winter filth.

teethgrinder

Got a 1995 Trek 970 rigid.  3×8 XT and low profile STXrc cantis.  It’s currently shod with slicks, but the last time I rode it was over 2 years ago.  Horrible thing and it’s starting to rust through paint chips.

Modern bikes are better in every way.

tomvanhalen
    Free Member

I loved my single speed Explosif enough that when it got destroyed by an inattentive driver, I found another one and rebuilt it. 2004 frame with a Salsa CroMoto fork, Thomson dropper, Mono Mini brakes and tubeless KOM rims.</

My previous bike was a ’97 Saracen with Magura HS33 Racelight brakes, SRAM X0 9sp, Hope/D521 wheels… absurdly fast and still in use with a good friend.

Old bikes make normal trails so much fun.

montgomery
    Free Member

What constitutes retro? I’ve been running my 2007 wheels and forks on this 2012 frame for almost a year, but intend swapping all the bits over onto an older Kona frame I acquired soon, just to see how it rides:

Not sure of its age, assuming mid-noughties by its sliding dropouts and both disk and V-mounts.

kiwijohn

Still rolling on my 95 DBR Axis TT, I believe it’s an ex world cup team frame. Rebuilt it 10 years ago & the only thing I’d change is a dropper.

senorj

My slop bike is an Orange Evo4 from 2004 ,does that count? It’s done a couple of hundred miles this month . 🙂

trumpton
    Free Member

That counts.

good to see so many retrobikes still in use. I think maybe some were better than others.

root-n-5th
    Free Member

I was out last week in Surrey on my 1989 Marin. Amazing fun was had – such a great bike to ride once you adjust.

nedrapier

1x anything isn’t retro!

1×1? 🙂

Don’t have any photos of my 99 Dekerf Generation from when I bought s/h in 2000 with the original paint and decals and the Bomber Z2 Fly fork.

Here it is looking a bit worse. Chas Roberts repair and reinforcement to the headtube, (dodgy) respray and new style decals

and a bit better

and better still.  Dave Yates put a disc mount on the back, removed canti bosses,replaced cable stops with hydro guides and painted it all pretty with a Cromoto fork to match.

Now has a 3″ front tyre on a Hugo.  Handles like a dream and makes me smile every time I ride it.

rocketman
    Free Member

I ride both on bridleways and easy xc

And around fields

kayla1
    Free Member

Nice! What are those tyres?

thepodge
    Free Member

@tomvanhalen, Dropper post and front rack… nicely done

I’ve just retired my 92 Kona Cindercone and replaced it with a 2011 Sunn Modular for commuting duties

nedrapier

What are those tyres?

A stalwart of “What tyre…?” threads of days gone by, the Kenda Small Block 8.

Just seen the OP’s question:

Do you use a retro mtb and what for?

Little green bike gets used for local ragging, mostly all the same trails, plenty of steep rooty stuff.  Jumps and drops with the harsher landings get taken a bit slower or avoided.  Being SS, it gets taken out when I’m really in the mood for a thrash, or when I’m not in the mood at all, but I know I need it – no choice to sit and twiddle and sulk up the hills, you have to stand up and gurn and get all the endorphins you miss out on if you take it easy.

Not the bike of choice for bikepacking and long epics, though!

NormalMan

I have a Fisher Celerity that has seen various guises since I bought it new in 1990.

Currently a singlespeed used for quick xc routes and towpath bimbling. It needs a bit of headset TLC soon. I have done the hub and BB so it is just getting round to it tge headset bearings next hopefully.

trumpton
    Free Member

nice bikes. Thanks everyone for contributing.

wzzzz
    Free Member

’88 Giant Super Sierra

Running 1×9 11-40 with a narrow-wide and a thumb shifter

Aus
    Free Member

The bike I ride the most for the last 12+ years

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MmLxnX]IMG_20160909_164748402_HDR[/url] by aus23, on Flickr

imp999
    Free Member

2003 Trek Fuel. With the carbon seat stays.

Bought the frame off here years ago. Rode it, sold it, bought it back.

Thought “I’ll just ride it round to check out the components then put them on Mrs imp’s bike.”

Never happened. Been riding it ever since. Now commuting on it (part XC).

Love it!

trumpton
    Free Member

my marin

retrobike website has the original catorlogs

swamp_boy

1992 Raleigh Dyna tech now used for errands / pub duties. Still has the original cranks and ti bars, later additions include Surly 1×1 fork for the disc mounts, rear rack and panniers. Rear disc mount brazed on by Argos cycles in Bristol, which will offend the purists.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

1993 Merlin MLM here, was ridden often in the Chilterns but riding in Cheddar, Blagdon now and it’s a bit scary given my skills so it’s going to be retired to Bikevillage in France as a wall ornament 🙂

fossy

20170916_091417<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

90’s DB Ascent – LX and XT throughout.

gee
    Free Member

1995/6 Fat Chance Yo Eddy with M950 XTR, King hubs and headset. The modern width bars, decent pedals and nice grips make it a brilliant little bike and I ride it regularly when it’s dry out. Only the forks are terrible – and even then not too bad for a 20 year old product. Very flexy.

Yo Eddy

jonnyrobertson

2003 Whyte prst-4 for commuting duties (not that it sees much use in that role, or any other)
    2005 Trek Liquid on Weeride and Chariot duties
    2007 Inbred on Weeride and shopping duties (gret big plastic box stuck onto the rear rack plus a front basket)
    1989 tip find Kona Explosif thats been made to look like an ersatz Pashley Guvnor but with bigger tyres. Great fun to ride but the wheels are falling to bits.
    1989 Raleigh something or other that was going to be made to look like a Bomber but languishes on my turbo trainer.

All the above bikes seen kosher near as much use as they should have over the last year. Hopefully this coming year will see some changes to that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘retro mtbs that are ridden’ is closed to new replies.