Home Forums Chat Forum Reproofing suede,fabric goretex boots.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reproofing suede,fabric goretex boots.
  • zippykona

I’m using Nikwax cleaner and reproofer and it doesn’t seem to work for long.
    Anything better?

RustyNissanPrairie

Fabsil Gold or just let them get muddy and occasionally clean them with a suede brush.

crikey
    Free Member

If the GoreTex is gone, and with flexible boots that’s not a long time period, then any spray on or wipe on or wash in proofing will not last 5 minutes.
    They are summer boots now.

spooky_b329

If these are ‘standard’ boots the goretex will just be a soft sock like liner. They often tear round the toe box, they’ll never be waterproof after that.

I’ve learnt the hard way, I’ll still buy ‘walking’ trainers with a liner but my cycling boots and walking boots are now proper leather with no goretex, they just need a wax every now and then to seal the seams and keep the water beading.

zippykona

Spooky ,what walking boots do you have?

petec
    Free Member

not to leap in here, but whilst looking for boots 6 odd months ago, I was recommended Outdry boots – it’s apparently a different method of waterproofing that doesn’t wear out. So – with something like boots that move so much – it lasts longer

I got these – on [regular] offer. They’re very good. Despite the horrendous rain and mud recently (and long walks), I’ve never got wet feet. Bung a couple of shoes trees in when not wearing, and wipe/wash/dubbin once ever couple of months.

spooky_b329

Spooky ,what walking boots do you have?

Brown ones and not massively expensive 😉 I’ll try and remember to look when I get home from work.

matt_outandabout

As above, if the gore liner is gone, nothing will revive.
    I’ve found that the nikwax does work better if a) boots are properly clean and dry b) warm. After a good clean I put them on the radiator, then put the nikwax on.
    Mine still only wet out after a full morning in snow or crossing bogs, they’re maybe 3 years old now.

zippykona

I’ve been proofing mine when they are wet. Will try them dry.
    They mainly leak when I’m washing the mud off. The suede seems to soak it up. I need something to make the water bead.

footflaps

I need something to make the water bead.

Try Fabsil.

spooky_b329

Well, they are Scarpa Terra GTX boots. I bought them as they are nice pliable leather and a non-bulky tongue.

https://quarrymanblog.wordpress.com/2020/07/23/scarpa-terra-gtx-a-review/

However, that review mentions Goretex, so I checked the boots and they do have a little Goretex label. However, the shop told me to keep them waxed as that was needed to keep them waterproof…and seeing as my Lake Cycling boots are the same, I went with it!

So who knows, perhaps they slap some Goretex in there for marketing purposes/shelf appeal, or perhaps just to protect against unsealed stitching.

PS When you get brand new boots, don’t wear them on a wildlife watching trip in a superfast rib…it took months for the salt stains to stop appearing in the leather despite regularly wiping them off with vinegar!

footflaps

So who knows, perhaps they slap some Goretex in there for marketing purposes/shelf appeal, or perhaps just to protect against unsealed stitching.

If there is a GTX label on them, then they’ll have a GTX membrane in them. Gore is very strict about branding etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reproofing suede,fabric goretex boots.’ is closed to new replies.