Home Forums Chat Forum Replacement HP laptop battery

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Replacement HP laptop battery
  • oldnick

Evening all, a couple of years back the original battery died. I replaced it with a much bigger non HP battery, and for a time it was great – lasted days :).

However, as cheap replacement batteries are prone to, the performance has tapered off sharply.

I presume there is no balancing circuitry in there, and it will have gone all out of kilter.

So, time for a new battery.

Apart from HP, is there somewhere to buy a battery that will hold onto it’s capacity long term? The laptop is knocking on 10 years old so don’t want to spend loads on it – but do want to keep it alive to do car diagnostics etc.

oldnick

Bumpity bump

kilo

I just bought one with good reviews of Amazon, when in a similar position, seems ok.

spooky_b329

I bought a Duracell branded one (same capacity)

It’s been ok but a couple of years later and I don’t think the battery life is as good, and if the battery is low it sometimes takes several minutes to register that I’ve plugged the charger in and show that it’s charging.

smiffy

I just found genuine ThinkPad batteries for mine, but wary that they’ll be old stock so not expecting years of worry-free life, though they’re mint now after half a dozen cycles. Lockdown killed mine, I’m much more conscious of of exercising them now. Like a muscle, use it or lose it.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Anybody know if Green Cell batteries are any good, as sold by places like Battery Empire?

oldnick

The one that has suddenly died is a Greencell.

The laptop doesn’t even recognise that it is there anymore ?

I’ll be taking it apart later to see what the story is, anyone want to place bets on dead cells, no balancing wiring etc?

I’ve gambled on a jauntily titled NinjaBatt in the meantime, as realistically the laptop will be retired to garage duties soon.

nickjb
    Free Member

I looked a NinjaBatt when I replaced mine. Seemed the least worst of the oddly named brands. In the end I found a genuine used one on eBay. Seller claimed it had 90% capacity and it was half the price of a cheap unbranded one so worth a risk. It’s been fine so far and way better than the battery it replaced.

wordnumb
    Free Member

If the issue is the laptop not realising the battery is there surely a ninja battery is the opposite of what you need? I guess you’d want a lollypop lady battery.

Thanks for the Greencell review, I was fairly certain that it would be a short lived solution. Fortunately Win10-4-eva is next to obsolete according to MS.

oldnick

@wordnumb – I’ve split the GreenCell pack apart and the battery does at least have balance wiring, so better than a fake Dyson vac battery at least!

One cell is low which will have upset things, the cells are labelled

DSD Li-ion INR18650S

3.7V 2200mAh 8.1WH DC01

for those who might be interested.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.