• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by headsup-spam.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replacement Chris King headset bearings
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Just changing over my forks and giving the headset a once over and noticed that a few of the bearings have broken up in the bottom race. Strange thing is the steering was only a bit rough!

I’m looking for replacement bearings but can’t seem to find any retailers for them. Anyone know where I could find these in the next few days…?

d45yth
    Free Member

I think once the bearings have gone in a CK, it’s new headset time.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’ll give chrisking.co.uk a call in the morning and see what they say. Seems crazy the bearings aren’t replaceable, 10 year warranty or not.

I’ve removed the retaining ring and fished out the loose balls from the race – if I can get replacement ones it should all fit together again perfectly…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chris King component in “FAIL” shocker 😮

Shoulda bought FSA 😛

Seriously…likely to be imperial. Get your micrometer screw gauge out.

njee20
    Free Member

They make their own bearings, so I’d not be surprised if they’re a bit odd. Aspire Velotech didn’t used to be too pricey.

d45yth
    Free Member

You do realise chrisking.co.uk. aren’t the distributors/authorised service centre? Try evolution/bromley bike co.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Rather odd that the only CK part NOT listed on the Aspire VeloTech website is replacement headset bearings . . . . ❓

njee20
    Free Member

They used to be, that is odd! Evolution will be of no use whatsoever I’ll wager! CK in the US are probably a better shout!

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

d45yth: yes, but I need the bearings for a big ride this Friday!

Tony: that’s what I thought. No bearing is indestructable, not in a £100 headset anyway. And I’m loathe to return the whole lot for a service as its in a light steel frame and I don’t want to deform the headtube with unnecessary removal.

Dibbs
    Free Member

As far as I know they have a 10 year warranty, email CK in the US directly and see what they say.
    I’ve never seen CK replacement headset bearings available on Aspire or anywhere else.

garage-dweller

Bromley Bike Company.

When I wanted a spare crown race was with me in about 48hrs and I think they are (or were at some point) the same business as/linked with the importer.

njee20
    Free Member

They share a premesis (or certainly did, not sure if they still do), but they’re not actually the same business. Much like Stif/Jungle back in the day. Obviously Bromley have excellent stock, as they can wander upstairs to get any CK parts they need, but they’re not the same.

Like I say though – Evolution often aren’t that helpful, if you don’t get the answer you want, try CK direct.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

The bearings are a perfect 0.125″ imperial size. Simplybearings have them cheap so I’ll give them a go.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yer head tube should be fine. let us know how it goes.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Got the bearings fitted and headset back together perfectly. Well, nearly, the seal and retaining ring is a royal pain in the ass to get in. Looks like a cheap fix though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Replacement Chris King headset bearings’ is closed to new replies.