Home Forums Bike Forum Removing rust from cassette

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Removing rust from cassette
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Anyone got a quick fix for removing surface rust from a cassette?
    Stupidly left my newish 12 speed shimano cassette soaked after a ride the other week and its left it looking rather crappy on the silver steel cogs

Anything I can spray on at home and leave to remove it?

barnun
    Free Member

Wire brush? Not sure a spray would touch it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Not got one of those so can look into it, but surely something would get it off in a spray can?

Murray

“bleeding” car wheel cleaner. Specifically designed to remove small rust particles.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Never heard of that stuff will check it out

Wonder if vinegar or lemon etc would do anything remove it with a scrub

jamiemcf

I’ve used malt vinegar on a lot of rusty things. It may strip coatings though if you leave it soaking too long.

I’ve noticed no difference between sarsons and Tesco’s own brand.

Gunz
    Free Member

Go for a ride and change gear a few times.

simondbarnes

Thermite

bobbyspangles
    Free Member

Just ride it, chain will wear rusty off

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Put it in a container of warm, full fat coke, the rust will go and so will the cassette if you leave it in there too long!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers folks ill try the vinegar thing as got plenty if that fails coke it is

I’ve tried the lube thing, it’s not worn it off at all by leaving some on over night and just using as normal

hols2
    Free Member

Go for a ride and change gear a few times.

This works for me.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Didn’t work for me must be harder on than I first expected 😭

escrs
    Free Member

Small bowl of Coca Cola (other brands may not work as well) then get some kitchen foil, scrunch the foil up (dull side out) and dip it in the Cola and then scrub the rust off

This method has been used for years in the retro bmx world to remove rust from chrome frames without leaving any damage to the finish, might be a little awkward on a cassette but it should be possible

https://snapguide.com/guides/remove-rust-with-coca-cola/

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Awesome cheers for that, will give it a go for sure, it’s a shimano cassette so individual cogs so no hassle at all really, nice one

GHill

Clean with degreaser, lube chain, then a quick ride has always worked for me. I guess it depends how badly rusted it is though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

To be fair I’ve dried the chain off after night rides as best as could be arsed but never did the cassette, lazyness got the better of me this winter

I’ll try the coke thing it’s a easy fix if it works and then I’ll stay on top of it

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Removing rust from cassette’ is closed to new replies.