Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Removal of Grout help
  • Premier Icon Mantastic
    Free Member

As title, need to refresh the bathroom and was going to start with removing the old grout and replacing. I have heard this isn’t easy and a big PITA. But it needs doing so what tools for the job. Dremmel? Grout rake?

Any tips on how best to do the removal would be welcomed

Premier Icon wobbliscott

I started we-grouting my shower with a grout rake but after a couple of hours of scraping I had made no dent in it whatsoever. I hired an electric grout remover from the local hire shop for £12 and sorted it in about 30 minutes. Just are through it like a hot knife through butter.

Premier Icon choppersquad
    Free Member

Get yourself a Fein saw or equivalent in the sales with a grout removing blade, and it will remove it a treat. Has 101 other uses too. You’ll wonder how you lived without one?

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Yes .

Bnq doing the basic 180 multi saw for about 50 quid . Itll do de grouting in a jiffy

They also doing a cracking deal on the top end green 250watt machine for 75 quid – it has a depth gauge and aux handle – but be warned your tied to their tools due to the bosch sds system on tht tool – same as on the gop 300

After borrowing my dads 180 for a couple of jobs yesterday im off to get me a blue bosch gop250 at screwfix for 99 quid.

Toolstop or powertoolworld doing a fein multimaster for 130 if you want a fein

Premier Icon ritchic
    Free Member

Forget removing it just go to clas ohlson. HG mould remover or grout cleaner spray on give a scrub an be completely amazed. I’m a tiler and I recommended it to a few now only £5.99 too I think

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Fwiw i used the steam cleaner on our tiles behind the cooker …. Was like melting butter how much gunk came off … Tiles are a totally different colour to what i thought they were – and we thought they were clean before ……

Premier Icon ChrisE
    Free Member

Grout is old hat. We replaced our showers and used laminate faced ply boards (about £100 per 8×4′ board). Fantastic. wipe-clean, no grout, feels warm. You can get them with tile-look-alike finish too if that’s your kind of thing

C

Premier Icon TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Vitrex make a specific removal tool for this and it’s only about 15 quid or so.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Removal of Grout help’ is closed to new replies.