Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me somewhere in Wales…
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

2 night stay, no biking involved (i know),…

somewhere that has a bit of everything . . . mountains, beaches, nice little town near, that kind of thing

Accommodation should be for two, nice view/location a priority, b&b or hotel i’m thinking, needs to be good value, no where crazy expensive £100 a night ish?

camo16
    Free Member

Anywhere in Wales, or do you have a particular area in mind.

mountains, beaches, nice little town near

Sounds to me like you need the far southwest (Pembrokeshire), the Llyn Peninsula, Snowdonia or southern Anglesey. Any preferences?

molgrips
    Free Member

Harlech
    Criccieth
    Porthmadog

funkrodent

If you head to North Wales you’ll never be far from a mountain or two! I’d suggest looking in the Porthmadog / Harlech area. Harlech is a nice enough little town, loads of accommodation around, castle, views, beautiful beaches and near to all the mountains. Also seems to have its own little micro-climate, I’ve been on the beach in sunshine when it’s been visibly raining a few miles away in most directions. You’re near to the Llyn peninsula which is worth a visit, as well as Portmeirion (of Prisoner fame) and Barmouth is down the road if you fancy keeping it real for a day..

Further inland, Beddgelert is worth a look and has a back story (involving canines) that brings a soft dog lover like me almost to tears every time I think of it… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Beddgelert is worth a look and has a back story (involving canines) that brings a soft dog lover like me almost to tears every time I think of it.

You know it’s Victorian marketing waffle don’t you? 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

quite fancied Pembrokeshire

camo16
    Free Member

quite fancied Pembrokeshire

No huge mountains in Pembrokeshire, but the Preseli Hills aren’t bad.

Beaches are excellent, particularly Whitesands near St. Davids.

Nice little town… well, the nicest town I’ve been to in that area is Haverfordwest. IME, the nicer places are the little coastal villages – Solva, Broad Haven etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire isn’t mountains, but the coastline is lovely and it’s really nice. The inlets and estuaries all along that coast, from the Gower westwards are unusual and beautiful I reckon.

funkrodent

molgrips – Member
    Beddgelert is worth a look and has a back story (involving canines) that brings a soft dog lover like me almost to tears every time I think of it.
    You know it’s Victorian marketing waffle don’t you?

Those Victorians and their marketing, they could teach us a thing or two.

Still brings a tear to my eye though, soppy old git that I am.. 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

funkrodent, I first heard that Gelert story as a primary school kid in Mid Wales… proper choked me up, it did. 🙁 Clearly the Victorian marketeers knew their onions in the sentiment dept.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really like Rhossili Beach in the Gower.

officialtob
    Free Member

100% recommend Aberaeron.

Stunningly smart little town, on the coast, and mountains nearby. Really nice bustling bars and restaurants in the town too, as well as some pretty smart hotels and b&b’s. 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

Aye, Aberaeron is nice, as is New Quay just down the Cardigan coast. Mountains don’t impress like Snowdonia, but it’s a lovely area.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for Pembrokeshire if not taking the bikes. Coast path is stunning, great wildlife and there are loads of nice restaurants and pubs. St Davids is lovely, as is Newport which is also handy for the Preseli hills. Some good boat trips out to the outlying islands too.

Aberaeron is also a good call – this place does great food – not stayed there though. http://www.harbour-master.com/

Gower is great too – Three Cliffs Bay, Oxwich Bay and Rhossilli / Llangennigth

Further north, Aberdyfi and the area around Mawddach estuary are also lovely but you may be frustrated if you don’t have your bike as there are some great trails locally. Some lovely spots on the LLyn and Anglesey too (I grew up on Anglesey).

To be honest you can’t go too far wrong on the coast anywhere between say Swansea and Conwy Bay. It’s all good provided you avoid the caravan shanty towns of the far north coast and the heavy industry of the SE, but even around those bits there are a few gems.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are enough trails on the Gower to make one cracking 3-4 hour loop – but little else. However if you’re there for a weekend it might be enough. It is really enjoyable.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i would suggest the kings head on gower. cracking welcome. truly stunning views and they have a really fine selection of homemade beers. tell em tom the stonemason/plasterer sent you and they might give you a discount ha ha http://www.kingsheadgower.co.uk/

jonahtonto
    Free Member

there is loads more than that molgrips, just need a bit of local knowledge 😉

Alex

St Davids we love. Going back again this summer. You have to go to the ‘shed’ for fish and chips just up the road. Camped loads at Picton on the gower, but nowadays kids want B&B the softies. Coastal path is magic, always think it’d be fun to ride at night but then I reckon I’d end up down the cliff somewhere.

If you do go to St Davids, make sure you have a Jet Boat ride.

molgrips
    Free Member

Alright, so there’s enough legal trails marked on the OS map for a 3-4 hour ride…

ski
    Free Member

Check out Llangollen, great base to explore north Wales, good mixture of pubs and accommodation, we stayed recently at Gales wine bar recently, rooms and service was superb, quite a bit on our doorstep to do too

evilsovereign
    Free Member

if it’s for you and the mrs. try the atlantic hotel in tenby.
    http://www.atlantic-hotel.uk.com/
    my wife and I went there for our anniversary a few years ago, the hotel overlooks South beach, which is nice. not much in the way of hills, but plenty of sightseeing, walks, beautiful town, daytrips to nearby castles etc. hotel has indoor heated pool, and a sauna, pubs are about 2 minutes walk, and there is a choice of south beach (pebble beach) or north beach (very flat sandy beach).
    I may be biased, as we take the children down there for day trips quite regular, but it is a cracking place.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above more recommendations for Gower and Pembrokeshire

I really enjoyed a stay in Narbeth (a foodie town), The Grove hotel was very nice – outstanding food, walks on the coastal path, Tenby is very nice but perhaps a bit touristy and possibly avoided in peak season ?

You can do a nice loop in Gower to Worms Head, along Rhoshilli Beach then climb the hill for great view and circle back to car

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

thanks all,..need to read through

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me somewhere in Wales…’ is closed to new replies.